Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sun Records, On My Mind

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:55 pm

It being that time of year (51 years since the recording of "That's All Right," etc.) I 'd thought I'd post this Sam Phillips interview from 2001 on NPR's site, plus a few other related links in case you've missed them. :D

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/fea ... llips.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=1381371

http://www.sunstudio.com

http://www.sunrecords.com

http://www.scottymoore.net/

"That's All Right" :!: :lol:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks for the links, Greg.

My Cd player is set with Elvis at Sun right now, so I relieve that special moment when it all changed. I hope Elvis, Bill and Sam are looking donw on Scotty and smiling with joy.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:17 pm

Such great music! Phillips was truly America's "Uncle Sam."

In Dylan's terrific new biography, Chronicles - Volume One, he calls the recordings made by Sam at SUN the most important of all.

DJC

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:51 pm

yeh, I was really worried about what Dylan had to say about Sun.

:D

Now makes the historic preservation of 706 Union completely worthwhile
to know it has the great Dylan's endorsement.

:roll:
So, when Dylan mocked Johnny Cash's singing style and insulted him
on a 1958 Hibbing, Minnesota home recording of he and John Bucklen jamming,
Dylan wasn't referring to Cash's Sun Records
...but Columbia records?

:lol:

Dylan:
You gotta have some kind of expression.

Bucklen:
Johnny Cash has got expression.

Dylan:
There's no expression. (sings in boring, slow and monotone voice): "I met her at a dance St. Paul Minnesota... I walk the line, because you're mine, because you're mine..."

Dylan:
But when you hear a song like Johnny Cash, whadaya wanna do? You wanna leave

f--- that two-faced Dylan

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:08 am

Is that the same Home recording where Dylan is stating that Elvis is not original,and goes on to name all the cover versions that he had "copied" from "R n B" artists?

I must admit,that confused me when I heard that played on a TV Documentary,as I'd only heard positive comments from Dylan.

Anybody else remember the programme?

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:22 am

Dan, yep same recording

it aired on BBC years ago. word for word transcripts are on-line.

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/articles/high61bbc.html
http://www.bjorner.com/DSN00003%201960.htm

of course, all the Dylan stuff is getting off topic of what
Gregory mean to draw attention to with this thread.

- but hey, I hear Yoko Ono said Sun Studio is an important place.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:45 am

Wow,my memory is better than I thought !!! thanks for the links.

It's still disappointing to hear this again.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:14 am

if people don't want their hypocrisy to come back and haunt them, they shouldn't record it.
I bet Dylan stood by his original opinion when singing a duet with Cash on the Johnny Cash TV Show in 1969
8)

Graceland Gardener wrote:
- but hey, I hear Yoko Ono said Sun Studio is an important place.

LOL

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:42 am

Dylan was right. Cash was a limited, monotone vocalist, but it's a bit rich for Dylan to make that criticism given the quality of his voice.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:14 pm

Yeah, we are getting a little of the "Sun" topic, but Dylan has a chockful of extremely "pro-Elvis" comments (some of the best ever, in fact), so I wouldn't get too bothered.

That Elvis "copied" this or that guy is unfortunately language from Mr. Dylan and really contradicts his other comments. Really, I don't hold it against him. Frankly, Elvis' early work sometimes did too many straight covers. His covers of Ray Charles and Little Richard in '56 really didn't surpass the originals. Fortunately, they were just part of his overall phenomenal equation - and Bob Dylan knows that! :lol:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:35 pm

I disagree Elvis' "I Got a Woman" eats Brother Ray's for lunch. Elvis' tempo is more exciting and appropriate for the song than Charles easy lope. His phrasing and instrumental break are his own and that swing time kills. It's much better than Brother Ray's fade out. On stage it was even more dazzling and hard edged. Charles' record is very exciting and the more influential record. However, Elvis' is a superior piece of music. It does for Charles record what Elvis' Sun songs did to those R&B originals. It's something completely new.

I would also give Elvis the edge on "Rip it Up" which has kind of an early punk rock vibe.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:41 pm

I'm glad to get a rebuttal on that, LTB!

But Ray's version is still definitive and it was a key "gospel-turned-secular" track. It'll always be his first in the popular memory. That said, you're right: Elvis souped it up.

And "Rip It Up," : well said. Although it's really the other way around and was true for some Sun tracks like "Good Rockin' Tonight" or "Baby Let's Play House."

I tire easily of Little Richard -even though I like him and try to promote him to those who neglect him.

But I passed a few items entitled "King of Rock'n'Roll" the other day in the Little Richard racks at Tower Records and said "enough!"
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:44 pm

deleted
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:56 pm

TJ wrote:Dylan was right. Cash was a limited, monotone vocalist, but it's a bit rich for Dylan to make that criticism given the quality of his voice.

Well Dylan saying what he said about Cash when he said it is one thing, I mean he was just a kid in 1958....but cut to 1964 and Dylan and Cash became friends and mutual fans.

I don't think either of them were "limited vocalists" in their prime. Sure they couldn't sing like Elvis but both had rich timbres and personality in spades. Dylan had amazing breath control and Cash could make the pavement rumble. I love both those guys, and I love Elvis. All masters in my opinion.

Jules

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:13 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:But I passed a few items entitled "King of Rock'n'Roll" the other day in the Little Richard racks at Tower Records and said "enough!"

When Little Richard performed live at the TvLand Awards earlier this year, he was introduced as: "The king of rock-n-roll!"

Now, I happen to disagree with that.
But to be pragmatic, I understand the process of elimination of 1950s pioneers still living, Little Richard is, and that prestigious title (which sounds cool to hear over a PA in a crowded room) obviously gets handed over to any artist(s) still alive and kicking and viable to use such a title.

The abrasive logic is: Elvis is dead; he's not using the title and based on that, after LR dies, who then gets to use the title?

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:59 pm

That's pretty obnoxious to introduce him like that.

If I had to hand it over, I'd give it to Chuck Berry. Failing that, Jerry Lee Lewis or even Fats Domino. (I still think it's incredible all these guys, including L.R., are still with us. This fraternity won't last much longer, sadly)

Anyway, Penniman's shameless self-promotion of such a title in recent years garners a serious demerit.

It's kind of like with the (recent) selection of a new pope: if you showed you want to be the new pope, than you were disqualified.

It's kind of like if they allowed Tony Bennett to begin calling himself "The Chairman of the Board" ! :lol:

Failing that, there's a P.C. racial thing going on - and serious misunderstading of Elvis' radical transcending of such categories.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:When Little Richard performed live at the TvLand Awards earlier this year, he was introduced as: "The king of rock-n-roll!"

Now, I happen to disagree with that.
But to be pragmatic, I understand the process of elimination of 1950s pioneers still living, Little Richard is, and that prestigious title (which sounds cool to hear over a PA in a crowded room) obviously gets handed over to any artist(s) still alive and kicking and viable to use such a title.

The abrasive logic is: Elvis is dead; he's not using the title and based on that, after LR dies, who then gets to use the title?

Chuck Berry, if he outlasts LR. IMO, Chuck is second only to Elvis as an original rocker anyway.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:08 pm

A bit of Little Richard goes a long way.

I have that 1990 "18 Greatest Hits: the Specialty Masters" (a must-have in need of a remaster) and a few other things. He was a great singles artist -best heard among other artists. A few of those Specialty sides were all he ever had to do again.

Richard is a little abrasive to listen to, track after track, compared to say Elvis or Chuck Berry.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:08 pm

familyjules wrote:Well Dylan saying what he said about Cash when he said it is one thing, I mean he was just a kid in 1958....but cut to 1964 and Dylan and Cash became friends and mutual fans.

I don't think either of them were "limited vocalists" in their prime. Sure they couldn't sing like Elvis but both had rich timbres and personality in spades. Dylan had amazing breath control and Cash could make the pavement rumble. I love both those guys, and I love Elvis. All masters in my opinion.

Right on the money, Jules. Anyone who actually knows about Dylan is aware of how much he loves both men.

DJC

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:17 am

Is Dylan on record commenting on Elvis' oft-repeated stage comment, "My mouth's so dry it feels like Bob Dylan slept in it"?

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:15 am

Esteemed host of the syndicated "Elvis Only" program:

My guess is that that comment was a bit too "below the radar" for Dylan to really take note of it. Was that from '91's "Collector's Gold" or '97's "Platinum" box? It's more likely he read or heard of the comment via Greil Marcus, who I think gave it some play.

I've found the following "pro-Elvis" comments by...

Bob Dylan :!: :)

" When I heard Elvis' voice, I just knew that I wasn't going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss....Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail."

"I don't know anybody my age who didn't sing like him, at one time or another."

"I liked Elvis Presley. Elvis Presley recorded a song of mine. That's the one recording I treasure the most...it was called 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time.' I wrote it but never recorded it."

Bob Dylan on Elvis' death:

" I broke down...One of the very few times. I went over my whole life. I went over my whole childhood. I didn't talk to anyone for a week after Elvis died. If it wasn't for Elvis and Hank Williams, I couldn't be doing what I am today."

Source: "Elvis! The Last Word - The 328 Best (and Worst) Things Anyone Ever Said About 'the King'" by Sandra Choron and Bob Oskam, Citadel Press, 1991, New York
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sun records

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:50 am

Nice job Gregory listing Bobby Zimmermans pro-Elvis comments all together.Rumour had it E and B met in Vegas, back in 69? I doubt that very much but there is a Dylan song "Went to see the Gypsy"so i was told long,long time ago, pointing in that direction lyric wise... I cant picture the two together to save mah life ! Elvis and politics didnt really mix too well and I doubt he had anything good to say about the anti Vietnam war demonstraters back then... collecting police and narcotics squad badges is really funny though ! Talking Sun Records [...could have been a Dylan song title ?...] any news on that Memphis Rec. Service cd and book project by Joseph Pezardo ? June was supposed to have been the release date????

Re: sun records

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:48 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Talking Sun Records [...could have been a Dylan song title ?...] any news on that Memphis Rec. Service cd and book project by Joseph Pezardo ? June was supposed to have been the release date????

The website now says 'Summer 2005' which could give him until October 30th which is when summertime officially ends, or September 22nd, the start of the Autumnal equinox, but let's not get technical about it.......it's late! :D

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:51 am

I no what you mean delboy....i think :?: