Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

For The Good Times

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:47 pm

in an earlier post the studio version on my way was being discussed and it laid unrealeased till 1995. my question is why was the far superior For The Good Times un released for 23 years? the studio version of my way done in 1971 i can almost understand but the i think the studio version my ftgt is excellent, even the alternate takes of the song are well done?
ive always thought it was ironic that ftgt was put in his live set and none of the other songs done that march werent(except for burning love) and he really didnt do that song justice till aloha. thanks in advance.
Last edited by scottngeorgia on Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:55 pm

My theory on this is that had RCA gone ahead with the “Standing Room Only” project “For The Good Times” would have been one of the studio tracks.

However, when the project was dropped in favour of “Elvis As Recorded Live At Madison Square Garden” as Elvis chose to include the song in his live show, the studio version remained in the vaults, even though I would agree that it is a better performance.

What does baffle me is that when RCA were desperate for a new album in early 1977, they chose to include the previously issued live version of “For The Good Times” on the stop gap “Welcome To my World” set, when the studio master would have been a much better choice. Maybe they had forgotten about it!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:03 pm

I like the live version much better than the studio version. I think the live version in almost all cases, has a tenderness not found on the studio one.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:41 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:02 pm

neckywoudje wrote:Speaking about forgotten...What about Moody Blue...Jarvis did all he could to record some new stuff on the road, but they had to include the previously released Let Me Be There from 1974 to round the album...

What about:

For The Good Times
My Way
It's Different Now

instead of those weird live tracks like Little Darlin' and If You Love Me

The mentioned songs was found during tape search in the early 90`s.......there was an article about it in man and his music magazine 12-13 years ago.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:11 pm

rockinrebel wrote:My theory on this is that had RCA gone ahead with the “Standing Room Only” project “For The Good Times” would have been one of the studio tracks.

However, when the project was dropped in favour of “Elvis As Recorded Live At Madison Square Garden” as Elvis chose to include the song in his live show, the studio version remained in the vaults, even though I would agree that it is a better performance.

What does baffle me is that when RCA were desperate for a new album in early 1977, they chose to include the previously issued live version of “For The Good Times” on the stop gap “Welcome To my World” set, when the studio master would have been a much better choice. Maybe they had forgotten about it!

Maybe RCA was too damn cheap (or Lazy) to dig the Master out!!!

I also agree that the Unreleased Alternate found on Love Elvis is quite Beautiful also...

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Released for the second time, that is! :lol:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:56 am

neckywoudje- i quite like if you love me, this version is the best i have heard. though little darlin, although i like it ,should have indeed been taken out, as well as let me be there. but replacing it with songs like for the good times and my way, would've released these songs for the first time, but it would have dampened the excellent mood of the album heaps. also keep in mind some of the songs of spring tours 77 could've been released on moody blue, but yet again, what was there that was'nt already heard?

interesting :)

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:03 pm

Nice song. I like the live versions better than the studio version too. The San Antonio, April 18th. 1972 version is beautiful and one of my favourites. Also like the "unrehearsed" performance during the Birmingham concert in December 1976.

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:07 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

neckywoudje wrote:
"Speaking about forgotten...What about Moody Blue...Jarvis did all he could to record some new stuff on the road, but they had to include the previously released Let Me Be There from 1974 to round the album...

What about:

For The Good Times
My Way
It's Different Now

instead of those weird live tracks like Little Darlin' and If You Love Me"

I don´t think that those tracks are weird. Of course "Little darlin´" is probably done for fun...but the falsetto in the ending is unbeatable (and no Sherril Nielsen). It´s worse that they included the already released "Let me be there".

"The mentioned songs was found during tape search in the early 90`s.......there was an article about it in man and his music magazine 12-13 years ago."

OK, but "For the good..." was only a five year old recording in 1977. Felton, Joan Deary or whoever was in charge those march nights in 1972, should remembered this track.

Another suggestion: Why didn´t they include a good sounding soundboard version of the (by the time) unreleased "America the beautiful"? The version on "Holding back the years" from Cincinatti, march 1976 has very good sound and a decent performance from Elvis, and there´s probably even better version than that.

Regards
Björn