Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Which one of these MSG recordings do you like best?

An Afternoon In The Garden
56%
As Recorded At Madison Square Garden (Evening Recording)
44%

Total votes : 45

Which one do you prefer?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:12 am

I like Afternoon In The Garden the best cause I think that he gave a much better performance that afternoon than in the evening concert.
Last edited by Leo on Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:33 am

Evening show...by miles.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:47 am

On the evening show, Elvis wuz absolutely smokin'...

his vocals are nuthin' short of sublime and the TCB band is as tight as ever!

sure, the mastering hasn't been upgraded yet, but don't let that cloud your hearing, cuz once it is remastered, and if done right, you will be stunned at how great Elvis wuz that evening.

In the afternoon performance, his voice slips during several songs.

possibly cuz he jus wasn't a "Day" type kind of guy, maybe a bit drowsy from the nite be4, or maybe had a bad case of dry thoat, but if you listen closely, it's quite evident.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of the concerts, but somehow, jus cuz RCA remixed and remastered this show and managed to do it quite successfully, some people (not all) automatically assume that the Afternoon show surpasses the Evening show.

jus my opinion...

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:36 pm

Afternoon for me. I do enjoy them both, however.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:48 pm

Very hard to choose since the two concerts were great but I go for the afternoon just because the sound is better..
This is a cruel question man!! :lol:

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:20 pm

the evening show

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:48 pm

The Evening show. If for no other reason because it contains "Impossible Dream".

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:01 pm

JerryNodak wrote:The Evening show. If for no other reason because it contains "Impossible Dream".

I agree.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Try to find a copy of the Japan paper sleever ARAMSG, you'll thank me later... Awesome!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:28 pm

Try to find a copy of the Japan paper sleever ARAMSG, you'll thank me later... Awesome!

I've been trying for over 2 years (On Ebay, Amazon, Tower) with no success!!! :cry:

Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:39 pm

Wow! Try half.com and see if they have it! I'm no audiophile, but this thing sounds awesome!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:57 pm

buddy holly wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:The Evening show. If for no other reason because it contains "Impossible Dream".

I agree.

Yeah but aren't a couple of songs exclusive to the afternoon show? I'm thinking Reconsider Baby and I'll Remember You, or am I getting mixed up with the Aloha concerts? If it is these two songs then that's another two reasons to prefer AAITG in my book.

Jules

Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:01 pm

I voted for the afternoon show. It's more generous timewise, and the overall feel isn't as rushed as the evening show. But the evening show does have that absolute tour de force performance of I Can't Stop Lovin' You (which should've been on the 70's box Ernst! :x ).

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:06 pm

That's it - it never can sound any better than this one!!

Jörn

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:05 am

I voted for the original MSG album.

I based this on, both Elvis' performance and the band's performance.

Some examples that immediately spring to mind:

Polk Salad Annie - Ronnie is amazing on the drums, and better bass solo (ok, not really a big deal...)
Hound Dog - they nailed this perfectly, with the slow beginning.
You've Lost That Loving Feeling - Elvis and the band kick ass on this.
I Can't Stop Loving You - ditto...
Proud Mary - stronger version.
The Impossible Dream - awesome performance - great vocals by Elvis, on the ending especially.

Rich

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:56 pm

I can't vote... I love 'em both.

I just wish they would put out the original evening album at the right speed. I remember talking to Glen D. about this a few years ago....

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:09 am

Joe Lightcloud wrote: I just wish they would put out the original evening album at the right speed. I remember talking to Glen D. about this a few years ago....

He once said that in the WONDERFUL magazine Elvis: The Man And His Music, too. Ernst replied in the following issue, stating that the album, in fact, does run at the right speed. Glen said that he never heard Elvis sing better than at this show and was very disappointed when the album came out because Elvis' voice didn't sound too good at all. But that's probably because it wasn't mixed right - this was a typical RCA rush-release, remember.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:49 pm

indeed a very difficult decision :?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:56 pm

Joe Lightcloud wrote:I can't vote... I love 'em both.

I just wish they would put out the original evening album at the right speed. I remember talking to Glen D. about this a few years ago....

The original MSG album runs at the right speed. All songs are in key. For example That's All Right is in the key of A. American Trilogy is in C. It's the rushed tempo's that creates the effect of the tape being speeded up.
This show could definitely use an upgrade.