Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Steamroller Blues '74 -- Question

Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:05 am

Does anyone notice the sound quality difference in "SB" from March '74 ? The one found on the Platinum Box sounds about 50 times better than the FTD release of the concert. Why didnt Ernst use the mix from Platinum ?

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:46 pm

I would guess that “Steamroller” was mixed in isolation for it’s inclusion on the “Platinum” box, and when the decision was taken to re-issue the entire show a different approach was taken with regards to the mixing.

It seems unlikely that the whole show was remixed during the compilation of the “Platinum” set when BMG were only planning to use one track.

Personally, I much prefer the mix from the “Platinum” set, but this has been discussed in the past and I know that some fans were happy with the FTD mix too.

Re: Steamroller Blues '74 -- Question

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:25 pm

moodyblue1 wrote:Does anyone notice the sound quality difference in "SB" from March '74 ? The one found on the Platinum Box sounds about 50 times better than the FTD release of the concert.

You're right. But then again almost everything in the world sounds about 50 times better than the FTD re-issue ... :cry:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:56 am

I pretty much re-EQ'd the new FTD release from the "Steamroller Blues" sample that we had on Platinum and it does sound a whole lot better now.

Turns out FTD limited the recording to death and increased the midrange by up to 5 dB which makes the sound really muddy (no low or high end).

I do not understand why this show was not professionally mixed and mastered like other BMG multitrack live recordings we got from FTD.

Apparently this show was mixed and mastered by Chris Theis at Sony Studios, New York, without the involvement of BMG.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:18 pm

see-see-rider wrote:
moodyblue1 wrote:Does anyone notice the sound quality difference in "SB" from March '74 ? The one found on the Platinum Box sounds about 50 times better than the FTD release of the concert.

You're right. But then again almost everything in the world sounds about 50 times better than the FTD re-issue ... :cry:

This is bullshit, and nothing BUT BULLSHIT from here to high heaven...!!! :shock:

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:14 pm

Both sounds good to me...
FTD mix brings me a better idea of how it sounded in the arena...

Best Regards
Renan.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:04 am

You're right. But then again almost everything in the world sounds about 50 times better than the FTD re-issue ...

Hear, hear!

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:16 am

Is it that bad? I don't have it yet, but the original LP mix / sound is usually panned.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:12 am

MB280E wrote:This is bullshit, and nothing BUT BULLSHIT from here to high heaven...!!! :shock:

Well, you certainly have a way with words. However, I couldn't agree more.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:01 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Is it that bad? I don't have it yet, but the original LP mix / sound is usually panned.

It's not that bad GREG, (hell, they could have jus not released it at all), but IMHO, I do think it sounds better off the PLATINUM set!

to tell you guyz the truth, I like the ALOHA version much better anyway... :D

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:24 pm

This may be one of the few "must" 70s tracks.

Even at his worst, Elvis always dug into the blues!

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:12 am

I love the mix on the FTD release. It really is in the ear of the beholder.

Just wish the dialogue was included in its entirety, as well as the false start on Help Me (from the album "Elvis In The Gutter.")

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:23 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Is it that bad?

Yes, unfortunately it really is. :( Not only the worst Elvis reissue ever but actually the worst reissue ever made. Like somebody else (basically) wrote concerning the Afternoon In The Garden mix: "If you don't hear it you certainly need a new pair of ears." :oops:

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:32 am

And was that true for "Afternoon In the Garden"? C'mon. I have that. It's pretty good to these (failing?) ears. Better than the Lp of the evening show anyway.

I look forward to buying the Memphis set and appreciate the warning.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:37 am

Some fans come out with some terrific stories and myths at times. One I heard concerned the source for the tracks for Steamroller Blues and that was that a double LP acetate was found.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:34 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Is it that bad? I don't have it yet, but the original LP mix / sound is usually panned.

It’s not that bad. The sound issue is a subjective one, but overall it’s a nice package and it’s good to have the missing songs at long last.

One minor irritation is that some of the original dialogue is missing. I really don’t know why BMG do this, as it obviously more work to edit these things out than it is to leave them in, and we aren’t talking about offensive language here.