Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis and ZZTop

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:36 am

a ZZ Top guy (the one with the long beard lol) said Elvis mailed him a letter in the seventies saying he liked their rendition of "Jailhouse Rock"

Says he still has the letter.

SO, Elvis listened to a ZZTop album and wrote to the band?

- this was an interview with them on the "ELVIS 50TH ANNIVERSARY" tv special with several celebrity interviews.

Elvis also sent a letter to Suzie Quatro expressing he liked her version of "All Shook Up" - calling it the best version since his own - and he invited her to Graceland.
She says she chickened out. "But if I'd known he'd die so young, I would've went. But I thought there might be a later opportunity to"

Re: Elvis and ZZTop

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:54 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:a ZZ Top guy (the one with the long beard lol) said Elvis mailed him a letter in the seventies saying he liked their rendition of "Jailhouse Rock"

Says he still has the letter.

SO, Elvis listened to a ZZTop album and wrote to the band?

- this was an interview with them on the "ELVIS 50TH ANNIVERSARY" tv special with several celebrity interviews.

Elvis also sent a letter to Suzie Quatro expressing he liked her version of "All Shook Up" - calling it the best version since his own - and he invited her to Graceland.
She says she chickened out. "But if I'd known he'd die so young, I would've went. But I thought there might be a later opportunity to"

Cool!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:54 am

Nice read and didnĀ“t know about it!

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:06 am

Yeah, Elvis used to write to me all the time too :shock: . What a load of crap :lol: . Sorry, but either these were generated by Parker, or Rick Stanley was just trying to meet ZZ Top and get down Suzie's britches. Or vice versa.
Last edited by Scatter on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:48 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:SO, Elvis listened to a ZZTop album and wrote to the band?

Answers: no and no.

DJC

Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:50 am

I see why not....

Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:52 am

those who don't believe me, or the ZZ account, needs to see the damn documentary. :evil:

The two beared band members were on camera making this claim.

not to mention, Tom Jones on camera saying that Elvis sang to him in the shower (Jones showered after a Vegas set) and Elvis walked in to sing a few bars of a song Elvis thought Jones should cut (Jones never said what song tho)

speaking on camera were:

Dixie Locke-Emmons
Anita Wood
Buddy Killen
Celeste Yarnell
Chris Beard
Charlie Hodge
Connie Stevens
Dr. Nick
Glen Campbell
Gordon Stoker
Tony Orlando
Neil Sedaka (said he sang with Elvis at piano in LV)
Barry Gibb
Kenny Rogers
Bill Medley
Ray Manzerick
Buddy Miles
Cliff Richard
Tony Sheridan
Jackie DeShannon
James Darren
Loanne Parker (col.'s widow)
Mac Davis
Jerry Shilling
GK
Joe E
Sonny West
Linda Thompson
Sam Phillips
Pat Boone (talking about Cleveland '55)
Patti Page
Richard Cole
Mick Taylor
Robert Wagner
Steve Binder
Suzi Quatro
Tab Hunter
Rona Barrett
Teri Garr
The Crickets
ZZ Top
and a few others

"ELVIS A 50TH ANNIVERSARY"

it was a 2 hr documentary produced by Dante J. Pugliese

copyright 2005 Passport International Productions

(must have compiled interviews for a few years - Sam Philips has been dead since '03)

Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:21 am

Now now GG, you should know by now the good Doc was with Elvis 24 hrs a day and knows everything Elvis did, said or listened to. Pay attention to the Doc, he knows! :lol: In fact, here's a little inside scoop that I dont think the Doc would mind me sharing. See, the Doc was on Elvis' payroll and was strictly in charge of buying anything Elvis wanted to listen to, and putting it on the record player for him. When Elvis was done listening, the Doc would be nearby ready to put on another record. He basically was at his beck and call. It didn't pay much but Elvis made sure the Doc was well taken care of. :wink:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:02 am

Suzi Q was recently in Australia and recounted the story about Elvis' letter and invite to Graceland.
rick

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:23 am

Scatter -

You wrote:
Sorry, but either these were generated by Parker or Rick Stanley was just trying to meet ZZ Top and get down Suzie's britches.
Or vice versa.

What, Suzi wanted to get down Parker's britches ?

Doubt it.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:51 pm

No Colin.....Ricky may have wanted to get down HERS. :lol: I'd believe that Elvis sent a note to Suzy WAY before ZZ Top.......but I believe she'a full of crap too.

I don't give a rat's ass what ZZ Top says.......this story is absolute BS. Completely out of character for Elvis on multiple levels. I'm certain the note and its handwriting were produced on the video for inspection, along with a handwriting analysis by a certified graphologist, .........what's that you say?? No one has seen the note??? HMMMMMM!!!!!

OH I forgot........it was on a VIDEO.......it must therefore be true. No one has ever lied about Elvis on VIDEO. Now, where are my Gail Brewer-Giorgio video interviews again?? Perhaps I was too hasty in dismissing them. :roll:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:08 pm

Manzerick said Jim Morrison's favorite Elvis movie was "Love Me Tender"

Dick Clark said about Col. Parker - "He was the epitomy of a bad manager....not one of my favorite persons."

the show has alot of interesting quotes and AMATEUR '70S CONCERT FOOTAGE

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:07 am

Scatter wrote:No one has ever lied about Elvis on VIDEO. :roll:

True,but it's usually the nobody joe blow that's shooting a line of crap for thier 15 minutes of fame.Not somebody that's already famous.

Now, had they said Elvis sent them a letter saying how much he liked their version of Viva Las Vagas I might be questioning it. :D

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:13 am

It might be true or it might not. What does it matter? It only shows that these people have great respect for Elvis and his music and that's good. It's not typical of Elvis to have done such a thing but then again he could do the unexpected. If he heard somebody do a good cover of one of his songs he must have felt flattered. He could have asked Rick or anybody else who the singer was and asked him to send a letter to the artist on his behalf. Nothing strange about that.

The artists can make up such a story to appeal more interesting themselves but as I said that also shows that they have some respect for the King.

IT'S ZZ

Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:55 pm

I have seen Z Z TOP live twice, and both times they took pains to do a version of "Jailhouse rock" and mention the King!! They also did a cover of "Viva Las Vegas" using Elvis' speaking voice, and give a favourable mention of Elv in the sleeve notes of their greatest hits package.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Graceland Gardener wrote:SO, Elvis listened to a ZZTop album and wrote to the band?

DJC

Jeez, some people think they know everything about Elvis. :roll:
Where you there and did Elvis tell you he didn't write the letter? That's two questions that we know the answers too, no and no. :wink:
Kinda sad that you think you know it all.

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:41 pm

Elvis-4-Ever wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC

Jeez, some people think they know everything about Elvis. :roll:
Where you there and did Elvis tell you he didn't write the letter? That's two questions that we know the answers too, no and no. :wink:
Kinda sad that you think you know it all.

stick around a while and see DJC fancies himself our resident know-it-all

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:13 am

SuspiciousMinds wrote:
Scatter wrote:No one has ever lied about Elvis on VIDEO. :roll:

True,but it's usually the nobody joe blow that's shooting a line of crap for thier 15 minutes of fame.Not somebody that's already famous.

Now, had they said Elvis sent them a letter saying how much he liked their version of Viva Las Vagas I might be questioning it. :D

Hi Suspicious!!! Let me introduce a scenario or two for you, and using your knowledge of Elvis and his personal tastes/habits, give me an honest answer.

If you were aforementioned scraggly-bearded rocker, and were contacted to do an interview on Elvis, and had in your possession such a rare document, and were planning on mentioning it in the interview (which is only logical, since it represents your only personal contact with the subject of your interview), would you not bring it along?? Or bring in a photo of the note in the huge and elaborate display which rendered it too difficult to transport??

How about this one......Do you recall Elvis' reaction to Rick Stanley's KISS obsession?? Or how about Lisa Marie's Elton fandom?? How about as far back as the 68 Special where he claimed to "Like a lot of the new groups, you know ,.....the Beatles and the BEARDS (instead of Byrds pronounced "birds"]?? Yeah, this guy was really up on the newest rock trends :lol: .

How about this?? ZZ Topper puts up on Ebay said note........without a picture, without COA, without research into the chain of evidence, without a qualified graphologist or three to validate it.

Do you bid simply because ZZ Topper is famous and said it was so??? If your answer is "yes", have I got some memorabilia for you!!!! :wink:

To imagine Elvis personally sitting through a ZZ Top album, claiming to like a track, and writing to them is a bit far-fetched given his known proclivities musically, his rejection and ignorance of ZZ's musical genre, his aversion to writing ANYTHING beyond his sig, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum. Maybe (as I suggested earlier) Stanley wrote them something, or Parker generated a note, but to contemplate ELVIS doing it is patently ludicrous.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:54 pm

On the one hand I don't have a problem with the idea that the Stanley boys were blasting ZZ Top in their room, Elvis walked by, heard Jailhouse Rock, got curious and gave it - the 1 song - a listen, then made a favorable comment. That's feasible. On the other hand I don't buy that he went to the extant of writing a letter.

I also have my own theory regarding the Susi Quatro business: Elvis saw Susi on tv (Happy Days) performing All Shook Up. Susi was a looker, and Elvis got the high, hard one for her. So, if he did write her a letter inviting her to Graceland, it had less to do with being impressed by her version of All Shook Up, and more to do with laying the groundwork for a lay. In a perfect world it would be the latter!
Of course I might simply be projecting my own shallow, libido-driven mindset onto Elvis!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:59 pm

Elvis-4-Ever wrote:Kinda sad that you think you know it all.

No one knows it all, but I probably know more than you.

God bless,

DJC

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

God bless,

DJC

LMAO :mrgreen:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:28 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:
"ELVIS A 50TH ANNIVERSARY"

it was a 2 hr documentary produced by Dante J. Pugliese

copyright 2005 Passport International Productions

(must have compiled interviews for a few years - Sam Philips has been dead since '03)

Hate to tell you this, Grace' but the complete 8-DVD version of this (something like 16 hours) is by the same people (Passport) and is the one to get. It's called "The Definitive Elvis." ('m working my way through it.) They incorporate all sorts of rare photos (and smartly) and clips of Elvis talking as well as him singing in movies and on TV. It's broken into smart chapters and phases of his career. Talk about in depth!

All of those people and more are included. It's apparent they didn't get full EPE permission (that's why it's so good!) so they were sued in 2004 and it was pulled off the market. The case involved "fair use" and copyrights. The fan ends up cheated of some good stuff, if you ask me.

Steve Allen's estate, plus Alfred Wertheimer, Leiber & Stoller joined in the suit, but damn, it's pretty good! Do get yourselves a copy when you can.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:D5- ... ideo&hl=en

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:58 am

I've got that 8 DVD set, and I don't recall ZZ Top being on it. What chapter would it be?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

God bless,

DJC

DOLEMITE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:36 am

Pete Dube wrote:On the one hand I don't have a problem with the idea that the Stanley boys were blasting ZZ Top in their room, Elvis walked by, heard Jailhouse Rock, got curious and gave it - the 1 song - a listen, then made a favorable comment. That's feasible. On the other hand I don't buy that he went to the extant of writing a letter.

I also have my own theory regarding the Susi Quatro business: Elvis saw Susi on tv (Happy Days) performing All Shook Up. Susi was a looker, and Elvis got the high, hard one for her. So, if he did write her a letter inviting her to Graceland, it had less to do with being impressed by her version of All Shook Up, and more to do with laying the groundwork for a lay. In a perfect world it would be the latter!
Of course I might simply be projecting my own shallow, libido-driven mindset onto Elvis!

If Elvis DID actually hear the ZZ TOP version of Jailhouse, it sure would have been kool if Elvis got the idea of incorporating that heavier Rock sound back into his original version on stage, 'specially in those horrid '77 versions... :roll: