Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

MILTON BERLE

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:06 pm

Hello all

What is your opinion of milton berle & what look do you take on his career :?:

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:22 am

I give him credit for being one of the people that recognized Elvis' talent. I think he really liked Elvis, unlike say Steve Allen.

Never really thought he was funny though.

He gives me the creeps every time I see the clip where he touched Elvis' hair when he asked him what he puts in it. It seemed like he had a crush on Elvis.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:23 am

I like Berle's role in the context of Elvis' career.

Berle had alot of fun with Elvis on his show -

and didn't try to "censor him" or "change him" like that twit Steve Allen did.
and he didn't cop an anti-Elvis attitude about "never on my show" rejection but suddenly change his mind for ratings sake (like that two-faced Ed Sullivan did)

Berle seemed very straightforward, on the level, and glad to help promote Elvis.
He even used airtime on his show to present Elvis the Bilboard Triple Crown Award placque (after "HHotel" hit #1 on 3 different charts)

In fact, Berle is probably the first industry insider to red flag the suspicious nature of Parker's influence over Elvis.
For years, Berle told about how he had handed Elvis a contract to read but Parker took it away and said, "Don't read it boy, just sign it." Berle recognized that as not a good sign. And he was right.

Shortly before Berle died he told TV Guide some nice things about Elvis which they printed in an article.

Re: MILTON BERLE

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:08 am

tcb4 wrote:What is your opinion of milton berle & what look do you take on his career :?:

From all accounts, Milton was well known as the biggest comedian of his era.

DJC

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:29 am

Doc, but is it YOUR oppinion?

Bob Hope was very well known internationally. Milton Berle I hazard was not.

But I did laugh at the antics of Milton playing Elvis. Lol.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
tcb4 wrote:What is your opinion of milton berle & what look do you take on his career :?:

DJC

Doc, do I detect a subtle double-entendre in your description of Berle as the "biggest" comedian of his era??? :wink:

Berle is noted for the voraciousness of his sexual apetite.......as well as the enormity of his......errrrr....."talent". :shock:

All the tawdriness aside, I like Berle for the way he treated Elvis, and his show was funny in a very broad way. But his comedy was very dated,and he was never able to transcend that era with it. He remains iconic mostly for his contributions to the launch and popularity of early television.More for the variety format he helped develop, rather than for anything revolutionary or groundbreaking he did comically.

He was the right man, in the right place, at the right time.........But when that place and time changed, he simply wasn't gifted or innovative enough to ever be the right man again.
Last edited by Scatter on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:47 pm

Scatter - 1
Maurice - 0

DJC

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Scatter - 1
Maurice - 0

DJC

No Doc, I'm an ancient 63, in your company at least:-)

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=us ... earch+News

Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:01 pm

Doc.....I just know that mischievious wit of yours. :wink:

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:17 pm

I always liked Milton Berle. He seemed to be a nice guy!

Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:33 pm

Scatter - 1
Maurice - 0

Splish Splash - Dear Doctor is once again spraying poison at everyone in this MB.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:50 pm

Thomas wrote:
Scatter - 1
Maurice - 0

Splish Splash - Dear Doctor is once again spraying poison at everyone in this MB.

On a different thread, drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm quite content being correct 99% of the time, as opposed to being wrong and/or pathetic 99% of the time.

DJC

Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:33 pm

Scatter well done! What a cock-up I made of that Milton Berle joke:-) Such dazzling wit could drive an Irish guy back to the real Wilde.

But I did get a consolation prize today............

http://www.airliners.net/news/index.new ... %20Presley%

Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:38 pm

Because of his contribution to the golden age of television Milton Berle will be remembered as one of the most popular comedians of the 20th century, specifically in the post war period.

Regarding his relationship with Elvis, Berle let Elvis be himself on his t.v. shows.

Regarding Uncle Miltie's rumored 'endowment' I have no opinion, as I simply don't have the time or inclination to keep up with celebrity schlong sizes.

re

Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:01 pm

although i can not prove it, something tells me he was a nice guy !

Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:13 pm

Pete Dube, yes I agree with your sentiments. But the cigar sticks out a mile:-)

http://www.airliners.net/news/index.new ... %20Presley%

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:05 am

[quote="MauriceinIreland"]Scatter well done! What a cock-up I made of that Milton Berle joke:-) Such dazzling wit could drive an Irish guy back to the real Wilde.

Maurice........I am closely monitoring your wordplay as well :lol: :lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:29 am

YOU KNOW WHy HE TYPES LIKE THAT?

i USED TO DROP GRASSHOPPERS DOWN HIS PANTS.

:lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:57 am

Scatter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC

Doc, do I detect a subtle double-entendre in your description of Berle as the "biggest" comedian of his era??? :wink:

Berle is noted for the voraciousness of his sexual apetite.......as well as the enormity of his......errrrr....."talent". :shock:

All the tawdriness aside, I like Berle for the way he treated Elvis, and his show was funny in a very broad way. But his comedy was very dated,and he was never able to transcend that era with it. He remains iconic mostly for his contributions to the launch and popularity of early television.More for the variety format he helped develop, rather than for anything revolutionary or groundbreaking he did comically.

He was the right man, in the right place, at the right time.........But when that place and time changed, he simply wasn't gifted or innovative enough to ever be the right man again.

Not sure if this means anything but I did read where Milton was Tommy Lee's uncle.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:01 am

I didn't know that Joe......though I hear there is a distinct family resemblance visible in his honeymoon video :lol:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:04 am

Scatter wrote:I didn't know that Joe......though I hear there is a distinct family resemblance visible in his honeymoon video :lol:

Scatter, stop horsing around!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:04 am

Berle was cool. He was human - could be nice and could be mean when times called for it etc.

I liked the fact that he let Elvis do his own thing. You can tell that Elvis had a good time appearing on Berles shows. Never do you see Elvis smile and laugh that way on his other 50s programs.

Berle(singing):You gonna be aaaaaaaaaaa howwwwwnd Dawg.....................a howwwwwwwwwwnd dawg!
Elvis: Mr. Berle, do I really sound like that?
Berle: Yeah, pretty much.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:40 pm

tcb4 wrote:Hello all

What is your opinion of milton berle & what look do you take on his career :?:

Getting back on topic, it's funny you should ask this, tcb4, as I almost started a post on this recently. I had watched all the Berle stuff again (again, thanks to the DEFINITIVE ELVIS 8-CD that EPE sued over), and was again floored by Berle's terrific interplay with Elvis and overall genuineness.

This is especially compared to, say, the Dorseys, Ed Sullivan, and Steve Allen most of all, who I've otherwise enjoyed in non-Elvis contexts.

Sure Berle was huge in the '50s (pun not intended) and less so later, but I still think a lot of his old stuff is laugh-out-loud funny.

And talk about living to a ripe old age...! He was clever to the end.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:04 pm

I enjoyed Milton Berle's work.
I could tell that he enjoyed having Elvis on his show, and that Elvis was aware of it.

Tom (from Ohio)