Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Jailhouse Rock Takes

Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:39 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:I am trying to make head or tail of the various takes for most of the songs from Jailhouse Rock, particulary Young and Beautiful, Don't Leave Me Now, I Want To Be Free and Treat Me Nice. I've had a look at Masters and Sessions and I don't know if Sebastian is up to date on this. Anyone have the definitive listing? Keith Flynn, are you there?

I don't think Sebastioan's site is completely up to date with this. I would try that site and Tunzi's sessions III since he has information through the Flashback release. The only thing released since the summer of 2004 is take 11 of Young and Beautiful found on the TV Guide CD and takes 1-4 (I think those are the takes) found on the special disc on Elvis By The Presleys.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:33 am

I think the takes 18, 19 of Young And Beautiful are still only availible on this LP...

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:38 am

Don`t Leave Me Now (movie version 2) takes 18,21 have been released on SSS (18) and Close Up (21).

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:33 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I think the takes 18, 19 of Young And Beautiful are still only availible on this LP...

Yes, the LP and Jailhouse Rock sessions CD is the only place for takes 18 and 19 oh Young and Beautiful.

A few years ago, I made up a Cdr of Jailhouse Rock takes. Tonight, I pull it out and post the tracklisting and source here.

Close Up does indeed have take 21 of Don't Leave Me Now (hit record version, 2017).

The harest track to find is the small snippet of Don't Leave Me Now played by Elvis in the movie just before lauching into the record take.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:05 pm

Mike C wrote:

The harest track to find is the small snippet of Don't Leave Me Now played by Elvis in the movie just before lauching into the record take.

This one you find on "Original Film Music Vol.5" ...

Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
Mike C wrote:

This one you find on "Original Film Music Vol.5" ...

I didn't have that disc so I dubbed to tape directly from the film's soundtrack. BTW, I also used dubs of the soundtrack from the old vinyl LP Got a Lot 'o' Livin' To Do.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:05 pm

Me...too... :D

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:03 am

Ok guys, here's the track listing for my Jailhouse Rock sessions Cdr. Please note that I complied this in early 2001 before a great deal of takes were put out on the Close Up Box Set. Where needed, I have noted the MGM reference number

1. Jailhouse Rock (alternate take 5 from Essential Elvis Vol. 1 in mono; binaural/stereo version later released on Silver Screen Stereo).

2. JR (Take 6 unfaded from Jailhouse Rock Sessions LP and CD; complete version in binaural/steroe with additional pre-take dialogue now found on Close Up)

3. JR (Master take 6 - really it’s a spliced master per Close Up Box booklet). I used the 1997 JR/Love Me Tender CD as the source; now I would use the 30 #1 hits Cd.

4. JR (Movie Version - Jordanaires overdubbed vocals found on Essential Elvis Volume 1).

5. JR (Soundtrack - sourced from Got a Lot 'o' Lovin' To Do LP).

6. Young and Beautiful (Take 18 founded on Jailhouse Rock Sessions LP and CD - track 20 of the CD).

7. YAB (Take 19 from JR Sessions LP and CD - track 3 of the LP. Elvis messes up the lyrics near the end of 2nd bridge, so it’s easy to identify).

8. YAB (Master take 22 from JR/LMT CD; binaural/stereo version with FS take 21 now on Close Up).

9. YAB (Spliced Movie Version - made up of 4 different takes with take 12 announcement at the beginning of the track; found on Essential Elvis Vol. 1).

10. YAB (Soundtrack version from GLOLTD LP).

11. YAB (Solo version, 2005, take 3 from 50s Masters Box; binaural/stereo can now be found on Close Up Box).

12. YAB (Florita Club version, 2006, off soundtrack from GLOLTD LP; binaural/stereo version now found on Close Up).

13. Treat Me Nice (splice of takes 10 and 13, 2008, from Essential Elvis Vol. 1 – note it’s listed on EE Vol. 1 as take 10).

14. Treat Me Nice (splice of take 10 and 13, 2008, from JR/LTD CD; difference is that there is no guitar back slap introduction, but its binaural/stereo version).

15. I Want To Be Free (soundtrack version, 2009, from 50 Masters Box; binaural/stereo version now found on Close Up Box).

16. IWTBF (Master take, spliced but mostly take 11, 2010; used Essential Elvis Vol. 1 version since it has take announcement). Now I would use binaural/stereo version from Close Up

17. Baby, I Don't Care (Master take, take 16 with vocal overdub of take 6; used version found on Essential Elvis Vol. 1 for pre-song take announcement).

18. Don’t Leave Me Now (2016, unused movie master, found on JR/LMT CD).

19. DMLN (2017, take 18, used track 1 from Jailhouse Rock Sessions LP; now I’d use takes 16-18 found on Silver Screen Stereo which is binaural/stereo version)

20. DLMN (2017, take 21, used track 7 from Jailhouse Rock Sessions LP; now I’d use binaural/stereo version found on Close Box set; originally labeled as “N.G.”)

21. Baby, I Don’t Care (take 6, 2021, solo vocal overdub from Out In Hollywood FTD release).

22. DMLN (2022, take 12, record master; used version found on Essential Elvis Vol. 1 since it has pre-song announcement).

23. DLM (2023, take 2 and 15 second tryout; soundtrack sourced from GLOLTD LP).

24. Treat Me Nice (2008, binaural/stereo soundtrack version with guitar overdub from 7/30/57, sourced from Elvis The Great Performances CD).

25. Treat Me Nice (record version, master take 15, from 9/5/57 – added just for sake of completeness.

Given what has been released since 2001, below is what I would now add to the disc. Please note if I mentioned it above, I have left it off from the following list.

1. Jailhouse Rock (takes 3-4 in binaural/stereo found on Elvis By the Presleys CD)

2. Young and Beautiful (take 4-5, binaural/stereo, 2004, found on Today, Tomorrow and Forever Box).

3. YAB (take 6, binaural/stereo, 2004, found on Flashback CD).

4. YAB (take 11, binaural/stereo, 2004, found on TV Guide Cd).

5. Treat Me Nice (takes 1-3, binaural/stereo, 2003, found on Flashback CD).

6. Treat Me Nice (take 19, rejected master, binaural/stereo, 2003, found on Close Up Box).

7. Treat Me Nice (take 6, binaural/stereo, 2008, found on Today, Tomorrow and Forever Box).

8. Treat Me Nice (takes 12-13, binaural/stereo, 2008, found on Close Up Box).

9. I Want to Be Free (spliced takes 3 & 4, 2009, found on Today, Tomorrow and Forever Box).

10. IWTBF (take 11, 2009, found on Flashback CD).

11. Baby, I Don’t Care (vocal overdub take 1 onto take 16, 2015, found on Close Up).

12. Don’t Leave Me Now (take 7-8, 2017, from Flashback CD).

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:36 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:Excellent Mike. Thank you. This is pretty much what I wanted.

Glad you liked i t woodleyjoyhn.

Keith Flynn, if you wish to add this to your essential lists, please feel free. Or send me a PM and I will rearrange it.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:29 pm

Good work Mike.... :wink: