Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

My Way

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Is there a studio version of My Way and if so, what CD is it on? Thanks.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:16 pm

Well, I can help you with half of that question: Yes there is, but I don't know what "source" you can find it on, have to check out my collection but as I can remember you aren't missing out on much.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:33 pm

I'm pretty sure its on the 70's box set. At least the version on there is listed as "Master". I'm not an expert on these things so may be wrong.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:38 pm

It was released for the first time on "Walk a mile in my shoes-70s box-5cd" 10 years ago.........it was also released on the "Elvis by the presleys" cd last month.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:14 pm

There's a German audiophile CD from Zounds that actually managed to clean up the tape hiss on the studio version of "My way" (which BMG for some reason was unable to accomplish on the 70's set).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 62-2572931

Mya Way

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:19 pm

Thanks to all for your help.

Re: My Way

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:27 pm

706UNION wrote:Is there a studio version of My Way and if so, what CD is it on? Thanks.

There is in fact a studio version though no master take was recorded (the one released on Walk A Mile In My Shoes actually was declared "master" almost 25 years after Elvis recorded it).

thenexte wrote:There's a German audiophile CD from Zounds that actually managed to clean up the tape hiss on the studio version of "My way" (which BMG for some reason was unable to accomplish on the 70's set).

Like Steve Hoffman says (I assume you know him ;) ): "Tapes hiss is our friend. If we don't hear it, something's wrong..."

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:12 pm

Why do you suggest there was no master take at the time?

(June 10 1971). According to Ernst - page 335, paragraph 2, lines 14/15 "The master was shelved;"

His conclusion was that Elvis felt that to do the justice a live version would be best.

He did record the studio master - if unused at the time!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:28 pm

I agree with Kiwi. No one has also set a time limit on when a take should be declared a master. 1 second after recording it or 1 lifetime.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:44 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Why do you suggest there was no master take at the time?

(June 10 1971). According to Ernst - page 335, paragraph 2, lines 14/15 "The master was shelved;"

Hmmh, I don't know what your dictionary tells you. Mine says for "to shelve":

to place back
to postpone
to put back
to put on hold
to reset

All this doesn't really tell me that a master take was accomplished at the time of recording or better when "[Elvis] threw his headphones to the floor and stormed out. His entourage followed, and Felton was forced to shut down the proceedings altogether."

Doesn't really sound to me like a master take was recorded but that Elvis actually left the studio in the middle of recording the song. The booklet to Walk A Mile In My Shoes might say something according to this. Have to check that out, though.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:34 am

I would definitely not consider the WAMIMS track of My Way a "master take"... dare I say nor would Elvis.
Elvis / Felton kept this on the shelf for a reason... it's terrible.
I can barely make it through the whole song.
He sounds like he slept through this take... why in the hell they chose to use this track on EBTP I'll never know... just awful.
:(

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:36 am

It´s not so awful but also not the best. Who knows what BMG still has in their vaults? A better take? Something near from August 1972?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:03 am

I'll be the first to admit that I don't care for the studio version of " My Way". But I don't think it's awful. It just lacks the emotional power of the live version(s). My favorite is the EIC version.

As for Elvis and Felton keeping the studio version on the shelf for a reason
I have no problem with My Way "escaping". But if ever a song should have stayed shelved it's Elvis' version of Hey Jude. It's AWFUL.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:03 am

elvis-fan wrote:I would definitely not consider the WAMIMS track of My Way a "master take"... dare I say nor would Elvis.
Elvis / Felton kept this on the shelf for a reason... it's terrible.
I can barely make it through the whole song.
He sounds like he slept through this take... why in the hell they chose to use this track on EBTP I'll never know... just awful.
:(

Man, I must be nuts, but I love this take. Way better than any live version, imo. Nice understated rendition. I absolutely love it.
spike

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:23 am

It seems very uninspired to me, as if Elvis is just singing it, not feeling it. Now, the live takes he feels it!

Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:49 am

That version always sounded to me like a run through...no power or feeling.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:01 am

I've only been able to sit through the "Master" completely once......very Robert Goulet :P

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:12 am

Would it not be accurate to refer to the studio version on the 70's box as a studio outtake rather than a master?

That said, I like the studio version, especially the tempo/time signature. But I prefer the Aloha and EIC live versions.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:24 am

Scatter wrote:I've only been able to sit through the "Master" completely once......very Robert Goulet :P

That pretty much sums it up for me. 8)

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:27 am

We're all expressing different views on the same performance.
I find the studio version to be slow paced, haunting, kind of a 3 oclock in the am type of tune ... its melodic, yet full of pathos ... the lyrics are definitely tongue in cheek on this delivery. It sounds more like a life of regret and should've beens, almost sarcastic and brooding.

To achieve the full bravado and arrogance of the lyric, the song begs for a live audience.

The studio version is in stark contrast to the concert versions ... I listen to the studio version as a lyric in contradiction to a dark, depressing melodic score ... and yet, I like it.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:48 am

see-see-rider wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Why do you suggest there was no master take at the time?

Hmmh, I don't know what your dictionary tells you. Mine says for "to shelve":

to place back
to postpone
to put back
to put on hold
to reset

All this doesn't really tell me that a master take was accomplished at the time of recording or better when "[Elvis] threw his headphones to the floor and stormed out. His entourage followed, and Felton was forced to shut down the proceedings altogether."

Doesn't really sound to me like a master take was recorded but that Elvis actually left the studio in the middle of recording the song. The booklet to Walk A Mile In My Shoes might say something according to this. Have to check that out, though.

Are you really sure that this refers to My Way - the matrix numbers say otherwise. "I'll Be Home On Christmas Day" was the last number used that day. I know that this is just an indication - but it seems illogical to jump a numer.

Because a song is shelved does not stop it being a master. If that was the case then tracks like Tell Me Why or Your Cheating Heart or Dominick or Plantation Rock etc, etc are NOT masters?

I believe that Elvis was frustrated that he could not (in his mind) top the Sinatra version that he vented his spleen upon the backing singers in an unfair manner.

Spare a thought for the girls - they were not a group as such - but three individuals. They had no written arrangements to work to - they were tring to work out their parts on the spot. While this came easy to the jordanaires it's a different matter when three relative strangers front up.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:36 am

Is the studio My Way the master take ?

Let's just say it was the nearest they got to a master before abandoning the song !

He just doesn't nail it does he ?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:51 am

Ernst calls it a master take.

"the master was shelved"

He did not say it was was unfinished or no master achieved as he does with other tracks.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:56 am

I like the studio version, even if it sounds a bit tired, but it kinda suits the song, I agree about that 3 o´clock in the morning feeling... But nothing beats the Rapid City version. Still, it is a mystery why it remained in the vaults for so long... RCA usually didn´t follow Elvis´s instructions in the 70´s about what to release and what not to release - they released everything! "Hey Jude" and "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead" were unfinished masters, but that didn´t stop them...

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:02 am

I agree the Studio version is an uninspired reading, but 'interesting' to hear all the same, i was certainly 100% surprised that it appears on the recent Elvis by the Presley's CD!!!! :shock: