Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Evel Kneivel mentions Elvis

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:17 pm

In a History Channel doc on Evel's ups & downs (literally)

he said: "I went to a book store to buy that book those rats wrote about Elvis..."

he followed that with saying the store owner showed him a brand new biography about Evel.
Evel himself was unaware of it thus far.
Reading that book and its allegations prompted him to beat the author with a baseball bat in Los Angeles. (this was late '77)

But, the whole thing that led to the beating and Evel's arrest and jail term can be traced back to simply.......

a trip to a book store because he wanted to read "Elvis What Happened"

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:17 am

Worse stuntman of all time??????

Views?.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:51 am

Knievel was a huge Elvis fan and based his stunt apparel on Elvis's stage costume. In the very interesting George Hamilton movie of his life, he stairs into a mirror and makes comparisons between himself and Elvis.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:21 am

iamhekev wrote:Worse stuntman of all time??????

Views?.

I'd have to say the worst stuntman of all time is Super Dave Osbourne ... every stunt ended the same .... Super Dave would be maimed or injured due to miscalculations on distance, speed, wind, etc.

Funny stuff ... it was a Toronto production, around 1982.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:37 am

Evil did have the sideburns. I thought he was exiting to watch in his day. There is no one like him today. People lost respect for him after the ill-fated snake river canyon "jump". Super Dave is all comedy. And funny.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:06 am

iamhekev wrote:Worse stuntman of all time??????

Views?.

I would not classify Evel as a stuntman. He has always been refered to as a Dare Devil. Now where that term comes from I am not sure.

Evel was a hero of mine in the 70's (I wonder why...lol), and he was a huge part of 70's pop culture. He created his on little niche that made him a lot of money and a lot of fans.

My favorite stunt was him jumping the sharks, anyone remember that one?

Tony

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:35 pm

I imagine Elvis tuned in to watch Evel's televised jumps - I have no prooof of that, but I can see him watching a Saturday afternoon ABC Wide World of Sports.

The Snake River fiasco is the fault of the engineer (EK: "that stupid idiot") engineer who designed the rocket

the chute opened on launch; got tangled in the thrust flames

and did you see the grade of that ramp?

It was insanely straight-up, like 80 degrees.

It should've been about 40 degrees for longer hang time and a guarantee of reaching the other side.

-- as a kid I had the EVEl Kneivel action figure and motorcycle. I remember back covers of comic books advertising EVEl toys.

But that assault and battery and incarceration ruined his image and merchandising deals of course.

"those rats wrote about Elvis" - EK

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:51 pm

I remember the Evel Kneival action figure (I won't say doll :oops: ) and his rip corp motorcycle as a kid. Pull the cord and watch Evel jump the ramp........New from Matel. Smash up derby was also fun :D

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:02 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote: My favorite stunt was him jumping the sharks, anyone remember that one?

Wasn't that Fonzie??? :lol:

I, too, loved Evel as a kid. Had the action figure, the bike you could crank up and release, just about everything you could get your hands on...imagine having those in good condition today? Ebay!!!

All of us kids emulated him. Not the brightest thing to do, but I can recall with pride jumping over my mother's car on my home made dirt bike and landing safely about 20 feet away. Not all of those landings went as well...thankfully no one was seriously injured.

Whatever you want to say about Evel, you have to respect the larger than life image he created and the thrills he gave to a generation.

Re: .

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:17 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote:My favorite stunt was him jumping the sharks, anyone remember that one?

Tony

I think that was just a "practice" jump that was supposed to have been filmed for a never-aired television special and the severity of the accident is what caused Evel to make his mind up that his jumping days were over with.

I became a fan of Evel's because my Stepfather grew up watching him....not until after I became an Elvis fan did I notice the similarities between Evel's and Elvis's (say those two words together really fast!) performing outfits.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:20 pm

Evel Knievel was definitely unique. He was a hero of mine in the 70's, too, and I got very excited watching him do his thing. He has not been a kind of role model away from the limelight, but no one can deny him his place in entertainment history. It is not likely we will ever see his kind again.

Re: .

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:46 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Blue-Gypsy wrote:My favorite stunt was him jumping the sharks, anyone remember that one?

Tony

I think that was just a "practice" jump that was supposed to have been filmed for a never-aired television special and the severity of the accident is what caused Evel to make his mind up that his jumping days were over with.

I became a fan of Evel's because my Stepfather grew up watching him....not until after I became an Elvis fan did I notice the similarities between Evel's and Elvis's (say those two words together really fast!) performing outfits.

I recall that the practice jump was filmed, and shown back then as part of the special.

Tom (from Ohio)

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:00 pm

KHoots wrote:Evel Knievel was definitely unique. .. It is not likely we will ever see his kind again.

Robbie Kneivel! He still rides and rides and jumps!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:24 pm

Jesse Garon wrote:
KHoots wrote:Evel Knievel was definitely unique. .. It is not likely we will ever see his kind again.

Robbie Kneivel! He still rides and rides and jumps!

I understand that, and I like to watch Robbie. But there was only one Evel Knievel.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:42 pm

So true. Also, I know someone who worked on Knievel’s Wild Ride, and she said he was a complete ass to everyone he came in contact with.

Tom

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:23 am

Guilty......I had the Evel rip-cord motorcycle as well :lol: . Anybody remember "Ricochet Racer"??

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:So true. Also, I know someone who worked on Knievel’s Wild Ride, and she said he was a complete ass to everyone he came in contact with.

Tom

If we're talking 'bout Robbie, he does seem to be very cocky...........

Like father, like son..........right???

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:40 am

Evel Knieval. Boy does that bring back memories. As someone else mentioned Knieval's jumps used to be featured on ABC's Wide World of Sports, and they were big events. I remember the Snake River fiasco (I was 14 at the time). That was the penultimate Knieval event . Knieval was lucky to come out of that alive.
Scatter: Ricochet Racer? I don't remember that, but I remember a cartoon called Ricochet Rabbit ("Sheriff 'bing bing bing' Ricochet Rabbit, and his partner Deputy Droopalong"). Anybody remember that?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:53 pm

Scatter wrote:Guilty......I had the Evel rip-cord motorcycle as well :lol: .

I clearly remember spending a Christmas with relatives in Memphis and getting this:

My brother got this:

Tom

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:02 pm

Last Christmas of course.

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=us ... earch+News

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:27 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Last Christmas of course.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Oh, man, that was hilarious!!!! In fact, I can think of only one thing funnier:

Tom

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:31 pm

that's the same motocycle toy I had. (the top one red case)

wow - what a blast from the past.

You pull that long plastic serated teeth ripcord thru that flint back wheel and sparks flew and away that sucker zoomed.

I also had the $6,000,000 Man action figure with telescopic eye and roll-up arm skin to remove the little bionic gadget in his forearm.

plus had a few Planet of the Apes action figures, bubblegum cards, and that treehouse

the 70s ruled. 8)
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhhhhh...........childhood memories. Anyone have smash up derby? How about Planet Of The Apes action figures? I sure miss the '70's !

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:36 pm

jake wrote::Ahhhhhh...........childhood memories. Anyone have smash up derby? How about Planet Of The Apes action figures? I sure miss the '70's !

I was right in the middle of editing to add my "Apes" memories
as you posted that.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:37 pm

Now, now, Tom...!

Yeah, this brings back some dormant, '70s memories. I liked the pre-ESPN "Wide World of Sports" days...

I remember some kids on the playground had that motorcycle thing, but I hate to say it but it was kind of pure, dumb stuff. The kids who were into him, well, never mind.

Anyway, I was guilty of having "Stretch Armstrong," and lots of the "Six Million Dollar Man" dolls, err, "action figures." :oops:

They had the Elvis-wanna be "Fonzie" duplicate a shark-jump on "Happy Days." The show never recovered from the stupidity and has recently spawned the "jump-the-shark" expression to peg when a program goes sour or clearly has peaked (A cast member leaves, a 12-year cousin moves in, dumb plot change, etc.)

http://www.jumptheshark.com/