Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

elvis movie soundtracks

Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:45 pm

are they really "soundtracks" because there was no instrumental parts
included or any original movie score ?

the right name should have been " songs collected from the movie"

in many albums the "movie" songs released were not the same as the original movie version :lol:

my dream is complete releases with movie score !

in my thought particulary the frankie and johnny complete number and many others
even if it is not strictly elvis stuff it will be a nice add

how cool it will be to get that music but unfortunately for money or copyright reason, we will never get it !

what do you think about it ?

Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:13 pm

That's a great idea! In fact, I've often thought that it'd be cool. The biggest problem is that most of those overdub sessions are probably lost, and only the version in the movie itself is still in existance.

I can't say that for certain, but that's my theory.

What a killer release that'd make, though!

Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:00 pm

Watching Kid Galahad recently I noticed that "King of tthe Whole Wide World" used in the opening title sequence had orchestral overdubs.
When were those cut?
Those recording embellishments apparently aren't in the RCA notes Ernst used for his book of sessions. Is this info lost as to who the musicians were playing on the movie version of that particular song?
Maybe MGM or Paramount has such Elvis movie incidental music outtakes and masters in their own archives. hmm?

After all the effort Elvis and his musicians made to make a great master, it doesn't even get used in the film without being tinkered with to change the way it sounds. I guess that was a common practice with movie studios.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:53 pm

Hi, GG!

Yeah, they were recorded in a sound stage after Elvis had cut the masters. It'd be interesting to see if they've got any of those masters still... to hear them in Stereo would be a real treat!

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACKS

Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:05 pm

They are not, always!
If you watch the movie, as I've done for years, sure you can hear the "movie score" added!
As such, we really would like to have the "original soundtrack", but, we don't and never did!
But, mind you, the "original soundtrack recording" as we had them, stand out, and they are all right!
But, "original soundtrack", forget it!
They will be hard to get!

Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:09 pm

Mike,

yeh :D but :cry: we won't get to hear much unless BMG and MGM organize a joint official search-and-rescue for those recordings.

There's a cd series of all the movie versions from his films but they sound like crap. Apparently it was dubbing to discs from the Audio Out jack on a vcr.

RCA did make stereo tapes of the Frankie & Johnny movie version Part 1 & Part 2 (the big stage scene "F&J" with the full cast of various vocalists). I may be mistaken but i think that was two segments recorded separately and spliced together for on-screen synchronization.