Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FAKE CANDID CENTRAL!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:41 am

The new photo in Candid Central is a FAKE! Someone has re-coloured Elvis' jacket red! The photo pertains to Elvis' departure from Tulsa, on the afternoon of July, 5th '76!
Is that all you can offer?

Re: FAKE CANDID CENTRAL!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:50 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:Is that all you can offer?

I think you'll find a few more pics than that in CC, so no, that's not all that section can offer. :wink:

If you have the original without the coloring i'm sure that can be used in place of the current one, thanks for offering.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:43 pm

Considering the amount of cool and rarely seen photographs that the site has provided us with, I think it deserves praise rather than criticism.

I’m no photo expert, but the picture looks like it could be from one of the Sean Shaver books to me. If this is the case, I do know that a few of Sean’s photographs were once re-coloured for some reason (the light blue nail suit from 1972 being coloured red for example) so I would guess that if any work has been done on the photograph, it was done by the original photographer, and not the webmaster of this excellent site.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:47 am

Paul's section is a real treat for an Elvis fan. Technically speaking, the image is not a fake, but apparently has undergone some colorization.

Rebel's comments echo my thoughts. It is very possible this is a direct scan from Shaver's "The Life Of Elvis Presley" and not any action taken by Paul.

DJC

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:41 am

The Doc is right, it is from a Shaver's book called "Photographing The King", no Doctoring (pardon the pun) on my part :D Mr. Shaver did that.

Here's the link - with a few more photos from July 5, 1976 - the funkyangel was right about the date...

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... moout.html
Last edited by paulsweeney on Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:56 am

hey Paul, don't sweat it buddy, your site ROCKS!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:00 am

Paul -
I always enjoy the pics on your site. You do an excellent job. The pic this week is a good one as usual and I had to post it here (sorry.) Please keep up the great work!

Fat in December 1976? I think not.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:05 am

hell yeh...That's a Kick A** pic!!!

Elvis' hair looks exceptionally long, don't it?

Love it...thanks for sharing!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:33 am

Awesome picture Rob, thanks.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:24 pm

Cool picture! Man, Elvis really must have got bloated at the time, judging by the weight fluctuations apparent from photos taken only a short time apart.

Paul - your site is tremendous! An invaluable archive of brilliant material!

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:29 am

paulsweeney wrote:The Doc is right, it is from a Shaver's book called "Photographing The King", no Doctoring (pardon the pun) on my part :D Mr. Shaver did that.

Here's the link - with a few more photos from July 5, 1976 - the funkyangel was right about the date...

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... moout.html

Yeah, Paul, your Candid Central is excellent!

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:56 pm

Although it's clear to see that the upper photo has been manipulated, it's also from another occasion. Look at the direction the front of the car point's on the upper pic. Here you see the back side of the cat facing left. On all the other photo's the nose side of the car is facing left. On the upper pic Elvis steps out backside left, on the others backside right. Even the guy left of Elvis is wearing a different jacked. The backdoor windowclass has a metalframe on it the upper is class only, that means if this is a door from the same car, this door seems tricky to me, what does a back view mirror do on that location (near the back side) Seems to me this pic has some more secrets. Also where is the policeofficer in the upper one?

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:25 pm

philobeddo -

The car is facing the same way, and Elvis is getting out the same door in the upper & lower pics !

It's just the clothing which has been coloured-in differently in the upper one.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:28 am

philobeddo -

The car is facing the same way, and Elvis is getting out the same door in the upper & lower pics !

It's just the clothing which has been coloured-in differently in the upper one.

Yes, by looking at it again you're damn right about the car. But what still tickles me is that when you look at the upper (red version) Elvis is in almost the same position as on the lower (bl/wh suit) second pic, coming out of the car. In the upper one the front door is still open, as seen where a guy in a white sort off jacked appears between the front and back door. The second pic of the lower ones has the door closed and the guy wheres a blue jacked. Still a mistery

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:01 am

In the upper photo the man with the white jacket, who appears to be Dick Grob, has his cuffs down and the back of his jacket is laying flat against his back. In the lower photos, aside from the color of the jacket, his cuffs are rolled up and the back of his jacket is crumpled like it was bunched behind his back against the seat. Also the issue with the front passenger door... these don't appear to be taken at the same location.

The top shot was taken in April 1976... the same as the one shown below:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:39 am

Brad you may have something there - is it April or July...I'm beginning to think April - thoughts anyone?

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:43 am

He was using these coats a lot during the April '76 tour. Actually he's wearing one on almost every shots while coming out or in his plane.

I also think these would had been a bit too hot for July. :shock:

FECC Team

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:28 am

paulsweeney wrote:is it April or July...I'm beginning to think April

April 24, 1976 in San Diego, California.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:02 am

Thanks Brad,
It seems to me a perfect match. Happy you came with this. It looks quiet easy to colorize a white coat instead of a white coat with black parts in it. This is imo the right matching pic. Thanks Rob for the correct date.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:23 am

Thanks to all for the input - the photo is from San Diego on April 24, 1976 and I have made the changes to the April 24, 1976 page and the July 5, 1976 page - the links are below;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ndy76.html

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... /eic9.html