Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Lowdown On Madison -- June 24, 1977

Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:02 am

This is a terrific article on a very cool -- and quite typical -- event in Elvis' life, circa 24 June 1977:

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.p ... 97&ntpid=1

DJC

Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:16 am

Thanks Doc! Great story!

I do find it annoying though when those stalwarts of classic Elvis stories give it the 'Elvis who?' routine. :twisted:

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:35 am

Enjoyable read. Thanks, Doc.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:58 am

Thanks for the link Doc, appreciate it!

The guy, McCarthy, comes off a bit arrogant in his recollections, but overall, a good read!

still hard to believe 28 summers have passed... :(

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:30 pm

Yes, thanks for that tale, Doc. That's the epitome of Elvis and nicely dovetails with the kid from the '50s he once was. Right down before his death, here's a story that gets back to spirit we all came to know and love about Elvis, the underdog-turned-superhero.

Even tales from Elvis' last year are getting further and further back in time. The time is now for folks to speak and collect as many stories of those who ran into Elvis as he toured until the his death. God love Ernst for trying to track down folks who saw him down south in the Sun days! Now that's heroic work...!

Well, it seems the 75-year old guy was a little arrogant, but truthfully, as a guy who was five years older than Elvis, it's not automatic that a hard-boiled detective is going to be celebrity-oriented. (And apparently part of the '70s "jogging" fad Frank Shorter helped usher in..)
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sat May 06, 2006 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:35 pm

Great story, thanks Doc.

Rich

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:07 pm

Here is a link to the original story that was in the paper the next day, June 25, 1977;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... dison.html

Thanks for the story Doc - it's great to get a "fly on the wall" perspective.
Last edited by paulsweeney on Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:20 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Years later, (in 1979) after hearing, of all things, Elvis' "Solitaire" (it was getting local radioplay as a posthumous single) he told me he had a new appreciation of Elvis as a singer. Sooner or later, we all can "get through" to even those who think they don't like Elvis. At last a good deal of the time..)

You've hit the nail squarely on the head.

In my opinion, there's no such thing as not liking Elvis.

You either like him, or don't like him yet.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:04 pm

Thanks for posting that story Doc. It's refreshing to read a positive story about the late period Elvis. Lord knows we could use more stories of this nature to counteract the image of Elvis in this period as being a 'fat savage bastard' as one writer so brutally described him.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:39 pm

I wonder what happened to the photo's that were supposedly taken? They would have been great to see.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:57 am

Great read Doc, thanks! Can you imagine you being the participants in this scuffle and EP shows up, what a rush.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:17 am

Paul, thanks for that link to the original U.P.I. article on the matter.

(Incidentally, the U.P.I. news wire still exists, but rather it's hard to find, especially since the Moonie take-over! Somehow, we've allowed the Associated Press to run much of the game...)

That could have been the last "wire" story about Elvis before his death. I can't imagine too many other stories about him making news in 1977. The fact that he was touring again in the U.S. was old news (seven years can do that) and "Colonel" Parker and the media at that time was nothing like today's publicity machine.

It's also interesting to see a report that early on acknowledges his weight problem, as relative as it was.

Also, what's stark is the the true-to-form heroism of Elvis was still on display even at 42. That his all-time legend/ icon status was about to solidified in death a few months later is a sad footnote. But at this point, he was a living, breathing legend: maybe a little off his game at times, but still Elvis Presley.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:28 am

You either like him, or don't like him yet.

great tag line...I love that!!! :D

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:02 am

paulsweeney wrote:Here is a link to the original story that was in the paper the next day, June 25, 1977;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... dison.html

Thanks for the story Doc - it's great to get a "fly on the wall" perspective.

Original write-up interesting, thanks Paul!!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:08 am

Blue jumpsuit - a `we were wrong' from 1977 or is there something we don't know from that tour!
rick
P.s. Great articles. Thanks for posting.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:13 am

I believe the author was possibly referring to Elvis' casual wardrobe that he was wearing when he arrived in town.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:57 pm

I would imagine it was the dark blue DEA suit.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:01 pm

Or possibly it might refer to the light blue outfit that Elvis wore under the DEA suit, as seen in the photo of him driving back into Graceland on the final night of his life.

It is interesting to get this sort of story, particularly when it relates to events so close to his death. It goes to prove that Elvis was not constantly "out of it" at this time, as some naysayers would have us believe. It is also interesting that no photos from this event have ever surfaced, since we know that some were taken.