Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:07 am

Sergio wrote:

Theres nothing wrong with it. To me, the " I´ll Put your goddam tongue out by the roots!" comment is one of the Rockiest momments of all time.

Thanks for the comment. I just thought of another thing that you just reminded me of. All of the tought talk and so forth could be that Elvis was just acting the macho guy because he had just recieved his 8th degree in Karate.

I have had this show for about 20 years when it was available only by audience recorded quality, and I listened to it so many times.
Someone could edit out all the talking, just to see if the music itself stands on its own. I think it does. And another thing that we all crave is shows that are different. And this one is that. I think Elvis felt comfortable talking to his audience. He knew his audience of fans would understand. After all he had no clue that it would come out on soundboard within this generation. If he had known, he perhaps would have been more guarded.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:23 am

The closing show was just the breaking point. The show on the 30th was just as bad. Elvis talked about karate for what seemed like eternity. Also just as he started to sing An American Trilogy, a lady in the audience says I love you, Elvis. Elvis replies something like I love you too. A man yells out I hate you Elvis. Elvis then says F*ck you.

The next tour wasn't much better. We all know what happened in College Park (a total disaster.) Then we have the Dayton shows as well as the Dragonheart FTD in South Bend, Indiana.

Thankfully, the March 1975 Vegas engagement was a breath of fresh air.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:41 am

Rob wrote:

An American Trilogy, a lady in the audience says I love you, Elvis. Elvis replies something like I love you too. A man yells out I hate you Elvis. Elvis then says F*ck you.

Again without the visual this is out of context. I am nearly positive he was probably smiling when he said this as a joke. He did say, soon after that he was only kidding. And who was the man? Perhaps Elvis knew him. We weren't there so we don't know the details. I like this show too.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:05 am

ekenee wrote:Rob wrote:

An American Trilogy, a lady in the audience says I love you, Elvis. Elvis replies something like I love you too. A man yells out I hate you Elvis. Elvis then says F*ck you.

Again without the visual this is out of context. I am nearly positive he was probably smiling when he said this as a joke. He did say, soon after that he was only kidding. And who was the man? Perhaps Elvis knew him. We weren't there so we don't know the details. I like this show too.

I think Rob's point was that Desert Storm was not just a chatty, goofy show, but that Sep.'74 was a true low point in the man's career. He was thick tongued, occasionally incoherent, and almost catatonic by Sep.27th when he dissapointed the faithful in College Park.
He needed an intervention in Sep.'74 ... if it had happened in today's instant media environment, the results would've been very damaging to Elvis' career with soundbites from Vegas spashed all over world .... but, this exposure would've unwrapped the secrecy and possibly saved his life.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:06 am

ekenee wrote:I am nearly positive he was probably smiling when he said this as a joke.

Since you seem to know that Elvis was smiling when he said it, then you also know that there were probably kids in the audience. Regardless of whether he had a smile on his face or not, it was a very unprofessional thing to do. Many other entertainers would have acted as if they did not hear the comment. This was not Elvis talking, it was what ever he was on at the time doing the talking.

Many of the actual songs during this engagement we performed to the fullest. However, it is sad for me to listen to these shows because of the dialogue. It's not the Elvis that I would want a non fan to hear and it is very seldom that I listen to the 1974 shows from September and October.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:28 am

Rob wrote:Regardless of whether he had a smile on his face or not, it was a very unprofessional thing to do. Many other entertainers would have acted as if they did not hear the comment. This was not Elvis talking, it was what ever he was on at the time doing the talking.

He had lost all patience by that time and was speaking his own truth.
It was difficult to witness his professional descent, especially considering the unused potential and thrown-away opportunities.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:31 pm

This show, rather like the CBS TV Special, represents one of the topics of discussion where opinion is divided between between the fan base, and there really are two extremes, as the comments in this thread so far have already proved.

I have to say that personally, I don’t enjoy listening to this show, but I think it is far too easy for any of us to sit back now and say that Elvis shouldn’t have been allowed to perform that night.

Had any of us actually been there would we really have walked out? I don’t think so. The fact that those that attended ended up witnessing something so far removed from what they originally expected to see, probably kept them firmly rooted to their seats through a mixture of shock and amazement.

I would guess that Elvis’ inner circle had some indication of his state of mind that night, but that’s not to say that they expected Elvis to react like he did when he finally hit the stage.

I don’t think the majority of his comments were planned at all, but things were obviously bugging him, and as the show progressed more and more of his private thoughts were made public. Personally, I think his outbursts were spontaneous rather than planned. Listen to the way he goes from the drug rant to the “Hawaiian Wedding Song”. It almost as if he as suddenly realised what he has said, and quickly tries to get back to the business of being Elvis Presley the entertainer again.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:46 pm

This was not Elvis talking, it was what ever he was on at the time doing the talking.

Isn't that a bit easy to say? If I say "**** you" to someone because I'm in a bad mood, in a bad personal situation, I will get a paunch in my right eye anyway.

Elvis wasn't God, he was human. The person saying these words that night WAS Elvis, and to me it sounds as he meant what he said.

Even if we love Elvis, we can't clear him out of everything.

Edit: Whats the point in censoring the word ****? When I write "**** you!!!", I friendly mean "**** you!!!" :lol:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:48 pm

That's funny, I hear Tiger Woods swear just about once in every tv appearance. Elvis had a bad night, he was allowed. I think we've all been guilty of this kind of behaviour at one time or another.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:05 am

Joe Car wrote:That's funny, I hear Tiger Woods swear just about once in every tv appearance. Elvis had a bad night, he was allowed. I think we've all been guilty of this kind of behaviour at one time or another.

What you really witness is the TV company deciding of their own free will to air it.

I have to side on those saying Elvis shouldn't have said it. We can all get angry and mad but our self control should kick in and tell us to wait until we're behind closed doors before we let off steam instead of on the stage in front of the children, or like this mnessage board which could be read by fans of many ages Thomas, sometimes so long as we know what is meant that's all that matters rather than having to spell it out letter for letter.

Not always possible to excercise that much self control and sometimes an error of judgement can win. so Elvis to me made an error of judgement or he just wasn't in the right frame of mind to be on stage. Either way Elvis was responsible for those actions. I'm sure he regretted them and was unaware they would be played more publically in later years than just that show that night.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:04 am

when a person abuses the incredible amounts of pharmaceuticals that was running thru Elvis' bloodline at that time, moods swing and your character judgement can easily become distorted and become another...Elvis was no exception.

sometimes we tend to forget he was human, first and foremost, just a man.

I'm sure he wasn't too proud of this moment later...

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:25 am

Thomas wrote:
This was not Elvis talking, it was what ever he was on at the time doing the talking.

Elvis wasn't God, he was human. The person saying these words that night WAS Elvis, and to me it sounds as he meant what he said. Even if we love Elvis, we can't clear him out of everything.

No one is clearing him. Of course, it actually was Elvis talking. However, there's no way that anyone can ever tell me that Elvis would have said anything like that if he had nothing in his system. Also, closing night in September 1974 would not have been as infamous as it is now because it never would have happened the way it did.

It wasn't just those shows in Vegas. Listen to any show from the September - October 1974 tour as well as in Tahoe later in October. Whether he was fed up with certain things or not, the junk he was taking caused the breaking point in Vegas as well as the bad shows that followed for the remainder of the year.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:29 pm

This show is a prime example of what PRiscilla meant when, on Larry king last week, made reference toElvis' "temper tantrums"

But this incident wasn't behind closed doors or only among family.

It was in a showroom filled with 2,000 paying fans,
not to mention his own little daughter and ex-wife in front row.

It was crossing a line of un-professionalism that he shouldn't have crossed

It's amazing there wasn't a hiuge scandal the next day. In this era there would be. It'd be on the news for days and days.

The nicest most poignant part of the show is the end when he brings Lisa on stage and shares the mic with her. You can barely hear her blurt a word out at the crescendo of "Can't Help Falling In Love" - that's very sweet to have that moment there.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:44 pm

One thing everybody seems to forget: this was not meant to be audience-recorded and any recording not meant to "escape".
The show was there and then for the people present in the showroom.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:47 pm

I've thought of something else, almost another angle but not quite.

Elvis was clearly frustrated by the medias reports and where that media might be getting its sources.

To push that frustration further, why could Elvis not use the same media to respond to the rumours and why did he lose it on the stage instead?

Was it Parker again ?

Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Rob wrote:Since you seem to know that Elvis was smiling when he said it, then you also know that there were probably kids in the audience. Regardless of whether he had a smile on his face or not, it was a very unprofessional thing to do.

I remember watching Queen Live at Wembley where Freddie Mercury does that "sing-after-me"-bit with the audience. He ends it with "f**k you". Now, seeing this on Dvd it comes across as good-natured, but just hearing it without the visual it becomes arrogant (although you can judge by the audience reaction that they didn't think so!).

Regarding this particular comment by Elvis, I always thought he said "F**k him!" :wink: The impression I get is that he realized he had made a "faux-pas" as he very quicky says: "I'm only kidding..."

Not a big deal in any case, just a small slip of a tongue. His comments a few days later and during the fall tour are much more disconcerting!