Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Live from Las Vegas

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:08 pm

I´m sorry if this has been discussed earlier but...What is this? A compilation? A concert? (part of one)...And from EMI? Anything not released before? The songlist is there, but no info regarding dates.
http://www.windowsmedia.com/mediaguide/ ... is+Presley

Thank you.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:10 pm

Everything has been previously released on this CD. You are not gaining a thing by purchasing it.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:07 pm

It's part of a series celebrating 100 years of Las Vegas. All the performers associated with Vegas are presented performing there - there is a Frank Sinatra CD featuring a concert from 1986. Can't remember the others

Andrew

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:28 pm

Rob/Andrew -

Is the between-song applause overlapped to give the feeling of a single concert performance ?

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:38 pm

OK, thats all I wanted to know, Thank you guys.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:14 pm

ColinB wrote:Rob/Andrew -

Is the between-song applause overlapped to give the feeling of a single concert performance ?

Colin -
To be honest, I have no idea. Once I saw that it was all previously released material, I never gave it another thought.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:31 pm

AndrewJ wrote:It's part of a series celebrating 100 years of Las Vegas. All the performers associated with Vegas are presented performing there - there is a Frank Sinatra CD featuring a concert from 1986. Can't remember the others

Andrew

So this is a one-off of BMG letting another label issue RCA-era material?

Jules

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:16 pm

I saw a big "end-cap" at Tower Records with everything in this series, Sinatra, et. al. . Befitting this being the first Sony release of Elvis not on "RCA," they did have his somewhat off to the side.

Elvis and Frank on the same label. Weird.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:10 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Elvis and Frank on the same label. Weird.

Do you think? No weirder than them singing together!

Jules

Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:17 pm

No, I always liked that '60 Timex special.

But I'm nostalgic for that "separation of powers" that the old label system represented.

Elvis on the same label as the Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc.? :shock:

I'm ready for public domain !

Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:20 am

Nothing new for us.... but it fits in beautifly with the other releases in the series, and showcases Elvis at his very best in Vegas!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:25 am

I got the disc, and it's nice, good sound, nice packaging...

The in between song banter seems to be edited the same way it
was on the Live In Las Vegas box set!

The flow of the disc is Kool, 8), but a bit too short... :x

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:28 pm

Never mind the constant repackaging of gospel, Christmas and the usual hits, it's not like RCA/BMG have done too much in the way of a "Vegas" package. Given the line-up of other artists in this series, I'm actually kind of glad to see Elvis in it too.

Although, again you could say "In Person" and "On Stage" need only be kept in print....or done up in deluxe reissues.

For whatever reason, "Las Vegas" has a new cache in the last 5-10 years, since at least "Swingers" came out, although some of it was in jest and may have cooled off

We may as well embrace Elvis' connection to Las Vegas. "ALLC" is the theme song on that "Vegas" TV show the last I checked. Likewise, the boat is being missed, as others have written, in not playing up "Viva Las Vegas" in a deluxe DVD version to tap into that.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:42 am

I looked closely at the CD and others in the series, and this Elvis one of the EMI "Las Vegas" series looks like it is pressed by BMG and carries a BMG catalog number. The BMG and EMI logos are on the back cover at equal sizes. It looks like some of the EMI promotions do not list or promote this disc.

The rest of the "Las Vegas" series is pressed by EMI and have EMI catalog numbers. Most feature primarily, or all, unreleased material. Apparently the Sinatra disc is from unreleased (stereo) soundboard(s) with less than great sound.

The clothing store "Kohl's" had/has a $4.99/free-with-certain-purchase promotional sampler CD of many cuts from the "Las Vegas" series, but no Elvis cuts are included.

Overall, a weird situation. Surely there was an unreleased Elvis soundboard available, even an incomplete one, or the best bits from two or three or four incomplete or damaged ones could have been used for this disc. (Heck, they could have re-released an FTD.)

A wasted opportunity. This Elvis CD looks like Just Another Repackage, but this time including the EMI logo.

I was very disappointed and I didn't buy this CD. But, I may buy a few of the others in this series.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:54 pm

New recordings are always welcome, and I wouldn’t normally support BMG’s constant repackaging of previously issued material.

However, I think where this disc has the edge over say a soundboard show is that it showcases Elvis at the top his game throughout, and I’m sure it will blow away a few misconceptions for any casual buyers that thought Elvis Presley was all washed up by the time he returned to Las Vegas.

To give an example here, imagine if RCA had chosen to issue the “Polk Salad Annie” FTD here instead of via the collectors label:

The plus points – previously un-issued material and some fascinating insights for collectors.

The negatives – overall it simply doesn’t compare to the performances that were originally issued on the “On Stage, February 1970” album.

I think RCA were right to go with previously issued masters for this collection, because they provide a very positive overview of a period of the Presley career that is often criticised, and that can only be a good thing.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:00 pm

Thanks for clarifying,Ohnono. I now remember coming to similar conclusions.

It seems they could have joined this series and used fresh material.

Instead, the ever-cluttered catalog gets worse.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:24 pm

oh well, take it, or leave it! LOL

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:21 am

Mink', it's not about taking it or leaving it.

A lot of fans are tired of seeing Elvis' recording catalog becoming (remaining?) a laughingstock in comparison of artists of his stature.

Repitition, overlap, key albums falling out of print while retreads of the same 30-40 greatest hits, gospel, Christmas, and love song compilations crowd the racks....

It's a sad development after some years of promise under the Jorgensen-Semon regime. Blame the suits, sure, but sooner or later, take the "credit", too.

And I blame a lot of the fans, including those of us who "take the bait" and spring for a set that really just has a different cover...

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:29 am

I understand that greg and I totally agree with ya, but it doesn't look like it's gonna change anytime soon and there is really nuthin' we can do about it.

I really don't believe that it is jus "US", the Elvis fans, that pick up these re-issues and repackaged releases.

I do think there is an audience out there, the casual fan, that go out and
purchase these releases because they want to.

whether it's out of morbid curiousity, or cuz they are familar with and simply enjoy the concept, you can't always blame the Elvis fan for "taking the bait"...

jus my opinion.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:28 pm

While long-time fans have all of these recordings, remember, this release is not aimed at long-time fans in any fashion. EMI has been releasing a Las Vegas series and it would have been odd for Elvis not to be included in such a campaign, so they licensed some live Vegas recordings from BMG/Sony. If anything, when the casual consumer picks this title up and enjoys it, it only helps promote more indepth Elvis releases they may want to check out that are available on BMG.

The release itself is probably the best Live Elvis compilation out there right now. So it serves Elvis' live reputation very well. Long-time fans should not be complaining about this one, it was not aimed at them at all. Be upset about anther 'Love Songs' compilation on BMG, but this one deserves a pass.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:11 pm

Well, good points, gents, but it took me awhile to get worked into a lather over this "Vegas" comp until ohnono reminded me it was part of the same gospel/love/X-mas assembly-line attitude. Why not lease out "In Person" or "On Stage" outright?

Again, as Rockin'Rebel and Peter Franks have written repeatedly (at least before the thread vulture attacked), it's a ludicrous policy at BMG.

Only Elvis gets this kind of "respect." :x :roll:

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:27 am

Why not lease out "In Person" or "On Stage" outright?

It would probably be a lot more complicated reissuing an actual RCA title on EMI. It would also make zero sense for a label to let an opposing label issue an actual title from the back-catalogue of their biggest selling artist. This compilation is part of an EMI series dedicated to famous Vegas performers, it was good business sense for BMG to license some previously released tracks for this series as it is just another way to make Elvis recordings available. Lastly, this compilation is superior to "On Stage" and more versatile than "In Person" and should give a casual consumer a very solid overview of some of Elvis' live work in Vegas. The circumstances behind this release are somewhat unique, however, if it was your typical BMG re-release of material, then it would be appalling.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:43 am

Why not lease out "In Person" or "On Stage" outright?

the first 8 trax of this cd contains the whole On Stage Lp with the exceptions of Runaway and Yesterday from '69.

And selection #9 (I Can't Stop Loving You) is also from the upgraded '99
re-issue,

so...

technically, this release IS the On Stage Disc (with bonus trax)!!! :lol: