Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

WHEN ALL WAS KOOL

Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:29 pm

I just picked up this import CD "When All Was Kool".
I haven't even listened to the whole thing yet but what a find this is!!!
The sound quality on this CD is unbelievable!!!
The first two cuts of "IWYINYILY" are perfect.

I just listened to the first two interview segments from the 1957 Canadian broadcasts
"Music Time" and "Assignment" and picked up on something that I have not heard about.
One of the journalists (actually two of them) mention some idea about the "Elvis Show" using some
sort of "psychological build-up" prior to the show to work the fans into a frenzy before Elvis comes out???
And... that their reaction when Elvis comes on stage has more to do with this "build-up" than Elvis himself.
Is this just their interpretation of what they saw or has anyone heard anything about this idea... it seems a little far out to me???

PS. These journalists were real "SQUARES"!!!

Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:42 pm

This CD is out for many many years.
Don't know exactly but my guess is that it was released in 1996 or 1997. Indeed a very entertaining CD. Espicially the interview bit with the teenagers. One quipped: "He's a goof!"

This was also the CD that gave me the SUN recording of 'How Do You Think I Feel'. Elvis can be heard singing it in the background of Scotty's amplifier.

Very Cool Sleeve!

Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:13 pm

Brad,
I've been considering this one for some time. I think I'll get it now, thanks.

Tom

Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:37 pm

It's a great release indeed, and was released way back in 1991.

Re: WHEN ALL WAS KOOL

Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:38 pm

elvis-fan wrote:One of the journalists (actually two of them) mention some idea about the "Elvis Show" using some sort of "psychological build-up" prior to the show to work the fans into a frenzy before Elvis comes out???
And... that their reaction when Elvis comes on stage has more to do with this "build-up" than Elvis himself.
Is this just their interpretation of what they saw or has anyone heard anything about this idea... it seems a little far out to me???

I think that our old and dear *not* Albert Goldman mentioned this in his book. That the acts appearing before Elvis was so terrible and not really something teenagers wanted to see (and hear) which made them holler even more when Elvis finally entered the stage.

I think it sounds like something the Colonel would do (something he probably learned in his old carnival days), and did in the 70’s by using Jackie Kahane as a comedian. Actually, I have never heard his act, but I've heard fans saying that he sucked *lol*

Re: WHEN ALL WAS KOOL

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:09 am

elvis-fan wrote:I just picked up this import CD "When All Was Kool".
I haven't even listened to the whole thing yet but what a find this is!!!
The sound quality on this CD is unbelievable!!!
The first two cuts of "IWYINYILY" are perfect.

Doesn't anyone ever check out the always useful FECC review archives?

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/when_all_was_kool.html

God bless!

Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:39 am

Yep!

That was one of the reasons I bought it.
And I just had to have the cuts of "How Do You Think I Feel".

I noticed that the quality of "ILYRSG" is exceptional. The other SUN singles are not as impressive... maybe Mystery Train.
Anyway, are these actually lifted from SUN masters (as the review discusses) or no?

The other thing is in the last interview where Elvis is talking to "Happy" on NBC, Elvis indicates he is 23... that would make this interview from 1958 would it not?

PS. The last interview doesn't seem to run slow on my copy... was this fixed at some point?

Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:04 am

elvis-fan wrote:The other thing is in the last interview where Elvis is talking to "Happy" on NBC, Elvis indicates he is 23... that would make this interview from 1958 would it not?

Listen again. Elvis does not indicate he's 23, although he jokes that he's had sideburns for "twenty-eight long years." And "Happy" mentions movies as a career "if" Presley makes a picture, which implies the chat happened before "Love Me Tender" began shooting in late August 1956.

The best-placed date for this interview is 08 August 1956 in Orlando, Florida.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:52 pm

The disc is rounded out with a radio promo for Elvis' two June 3, 1956 Oakland Auditorium shows (the venue still hosts concerts to this day -- I saw the Foo Fighters there in November!) and another unreleased (and uninteresting) interview, for NBC Radio's "Monitor" with Happy (?). It possibly comes from Chicago March 28, 1957, rather than "late 1956", as the cover states and definitely runs too slow (Elvis' voice sounds as thick as molasses).

Thanks Doc. I thought he said "twenty-three long years"... I will listen again!

With regard to the quote above, JS' review reads that it was actually March 1957??? Any thoughts?

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:33 am

My date is likely more accurate.

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:43 am

After listening to it again, I can hear that Elvis' voice is slowed down some.
Also of note, when I saved a copy of the CD onto my computer hard drive, this is what came up as the title of the track (through "Gracenote"):

16 - Monitor (NBC Radio Program, March 28, 1957)

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:40 pm

elvis-fan wrote:After listening to it again, I can hear that Elvis' voice is slowed down some.
Also of note, when I saved a copy of the CD onto my computer hard drive, this is what came up as the title of the track (through "Gracenote"):

16 - Monitor (NBC Radio Program, March 28, 1957)

rockinrebel

Could you offer any insight into when the "Happy" interview on NBC took place? (would just like another opinion)

Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:15 am

elvis-fan wrote:rockinrebel

Could you offer any insight into when the "Happy" interview on NBC took place? (would just like another opinion)

A big clue in dating this brief interview: listen to the content. It is clearly NOT from March 1957.