Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Cover art for FTD CD's

Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:13 pm

Hey kids!

I have to say that I'm very disappointed with the next FTD release, "The Chinese Dragon". The cover, I mean... it is the worst cover I have seen for months.

Why don't they care about the artwork for these releases? Some of them, like "Elvis At The International", "Silver Screen Stereo" and "Fame and Fortune", are plain beautiful, that's true, but some of the others ("Spring Tours '77", "New Years Eve", "The Chinese Dragon") are so amateurish and tasteless that it hurts to look at them.

Come on, Ernst -- let professional people design the covers in the future!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:48 pm

I thought it was kinda cool, in a way.. I guess it all depends on what they're "going for"... most have been pretty good, though, so some stinkers are bound to happen. lol

Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:53 pm

Keith -

It's not so bad.

The FTD label is for die-hard collectors.

The releases are not commercially available.

It's the contents which are important.

Could be issued in a plain sleeve as far as I'm concerned.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:19 pm

Good point, Colin!

I'd even buy CD-Rs from FTD.. lol But then, not everybody is as nuts as I am. :lol:

CD

Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:52 pm

Mike and Colin:

I'm afraid I don't understand your views on this. Yes, the FTD label is for die-hard fans, and yes, the content is of course the most important thing, but I think a nice cover adds value to a CD. The recent soundtrack releases from FTD is a good example. I don't think they would be this popular if it wasn't for the stunning artwork and packaging.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:00 pm

Hi, Keith!

You're right, the package does really make it just that much more attractive, but even if they had nothing, just the content, I'd get them.

As for the current FTD, it's got a kind of "old-school oriental movie" look to it, which is why I thought it was kinda cool. Just depends on your tastes.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:26 pm

Mike
I'd even buy CD-Rs from FTD.. lol But then, not everybody is as nuts as I am.

You can say that again 'nuts' you'd have to be nuts to compile sessions cdr's, it's clearly something for the insane :lol:
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:59 pm

Ray -

I don't like to be pedantic [as you know].

But in your signature, shouldn't that be 'tail' ??

You know, hanging over her door & all that. :lol:

Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:13 pm

Colin B

I've no idea what you're talking about :lol:

Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:18 pm

carolynlm wrote:I dont really think that the FTD label is for die hard fans only. I have been with Elvis fans who hadn't known about this label until I told them about it and they have since bought a couple of the CD's. I think that all Elvis fans, whether they are 'die-hard' or not would enjoy these releases if they were made more available to the buying public. There are still a lot of households out there that do not have access to the internet.

I agree. Especially with soundboards and stuff like Memphis Sessions, more casual Elvis fans i think would appreciate these releases.

as for the covers, some of them are good, some are not. I don't pay that much attention to it honestly.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:19 pm

ive only been into elvis myself for about a year but i have 17 ftd and hope
to complete the set next month im not that botherd about the covers
its whats inside that counts

Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:14 pm

As far as the FTD covers go, I personaly think "It's Midnight" is the most beautiful cover I've ever seen on an Elvis CD with "At the International" rating a close second and then "Dinner at Eight". A cover should show the artist in the very best possible light in relation to the material represented.
In retrospect, Spring Tours and Pittsburgh 76 have atrocious covers IMO. Dragonheart could be great by utilizing only one photo of Elvis preferably during C C Rider while he is still fresh. The best photo of him in the Dragon suit is on the inside cover of Breathing out Fire. Maybe even a close up shot of the Dragon only sort of like Eternal flame being the disc is a play on the name of the suit in the same fashion as Eternal Flame.
Maybe I'll just shut up now and go pre-order the disc since I'd be happy with it if it came in a brown paper bag!
Steve

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:44 pm

It's funny, I really dig the cover art on New Year's Eve.

It's Midnight is a good one too.

Can't think of any I dislike at the mo.

FTD Covers

Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:04 pm

I didn't know whether I should cry or laugh when I first saw the upcoming ftd cd's coverart!
Sometimes one can wonder if they hire 12 year old's to do the artworks...
If it's not too late:
Please FTD; PICK ANOTHER COVER for this release!

It's strange though, 'cause there are many releases in the FTD series that have very very nice and professionally done covers!
Silver Screen Stereo, Elvis at the International, Too Much Monkey Business, One Night In Vegas amongst a few, are a sight for sore eyes!

Br
Kristian

Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:32 pm

Maybe we all can make our own cover and then ernst can pick the best out of it. For using for the new FTD release. :wink:

In the past there were a lot of covers anounced for new FTD releases, and after all it turns out that FTD used another cover. So why won't it happen this time.

But anyway, who gives a f***. It's the music that counts not the cover. :D :D

Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:25 pm

strange but the outside blue colour on the latest FTD cover reminds me of the colour of bathroom tiles or something like that :roll:
certainly stands out whether it's meant to or not!?

the tail tale

Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:29 pm

Isn't a tail more likely to hang over than a tale ??

Regards

Dan

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:27 am

Roger Semon is the man who covers the artwork. C'mon Roger, there are many great photos of Elvis out there in his Dragon Suit.
I was hoping for a little more exciting cover art for this release. Better luck for the release in October.

TCB

Randall

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:23 pm

Thijs077 wrote:In the past there were a lot of covers anounced for new FTD releases, and after all it turns out that FTD used another cover. So why won't it happen this time.

I think the different covers that we see on various websites long before these titles are issued are simply homemade by the webmasters in order to promote the forthcoming titles.

The majority of FTD’s covers have been quite acceptable, and whilst I’m not keen on the new design for the “Chinese Dragon”, I think overall the FTD art department do a pretty good job.

One thing I do find surprising is the criticism of he photos used on the new sleeve design. For a long time RCA were criticised for using photographs on their album sleeves that were not representative of the contents of the disc. See the covers for the original “Moody Blue” and “Elvis In Concert” albums for examples of this. Now through the FTD label we finally get cover artwork that is representative of the contents of the album, and there are complaints that the photographs aren’t suitable because Elvis appears a little overweight. We can’t have it both ways.