Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New Fort Baxter is a Fake!

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:21 am

Hi,

I would like you to know that the new release "Kansas City BLues" from the Fort Baxter Classic Series is not from the original Producers. It`s not even from the original Mastertape, the source they used was the original CD from the Profile Boxset. It was mentioned before (not by myself) that the artwork, design and overall layout looks pretty familliar and looking at it the Madison label comes right to your mind. I have no confirmation if Madison is behind the release, but I have confirmation that what was stated above is 100% true.

I don`t care who`s behind it or not, I do like the new release for its artwork and improved sound.
Last edited by Mathias on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:35 pm

Hi thanks for the info.

Can you tell me about the bonus tracks on it.Are they unreleased??
Also, it does mention that the sound is improved.Do you know if it is?

Thanks,
Sean

Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:58 pm

Hi Sean,

the sound is improved. Less hiss a fuller and clearer sound, but there are no unreleased bonus tracks on this release. The last tracks were taken from "In Dreams of Yesterday" from Memory Records.

Cheers

Mathias

Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:17 pm

Err...aren't they all kind of "fakes"? :wink:

I won't cry for Fort Baxter. :)
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:26 pm

Gregory Nolan jnr -

It is hereby charged that you did, on 16th June, 2005, and with malice aforethought, post a reply on a current thread, rather than one resurrected from 2003, which is your normal practice.

How do you plead ?

Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:10 pm

Colin B, ol' buddy:

I'm guilty of wanting to keep threads that still have utility alive, Sir. :D

That is, there's nothing about June 2005 that makes speaking about, say, LiketheBike's posts on "Don Robertson" or the album "That's the Way It Is" necessary to start a new thread. Besides, sometimes we have new ideas and information since that time.

And, furthermore, champ, some of us at the time may have been doing "other stuff."

Guilty as charged!

(Look for some more newly-ripe golden oldies coming soon.) :twisted:

Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 pm

I received my copy today and I only had the chance to listen to CC Rider and the first 40 seconds of the opening monologue ---- well, I have to say: no matter how much you "improve" the sound of a soundboard, you can't make it much better than it is.

The new issue has more bass and less hiss (fortunately there is no typical "hiss reduction-sound") - but in the end, the show osunds pretty much the same.

To me, the original sounds more like an open air performance, whereas this one here sounds more like a concert-hall.

The booklet is wonderful!

Re: New Fort Baxter is a Fake!

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:26 pm

Mathias wrote:Hi,

I would like you to know that the new release "Kansas City BLues" from the Fort Baxter Classic Series is not from the original Producers. It`s not even from the original Mastertape, the source they used was the original CD from the Profile Boxset. It was mentioned before (not by myself) that the artwork, design and overall layout looks pretty familliar and looking at it the Madison label comes right to your mind.

That was me! As soon as I saw it, I thought "Madison". They must have taken over the Baxter franchise? Doesn't matter really.
Last edited by londonflash on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:43 pm

Hmmm........somehow I doubt it, then again who is Madison ?

Someone who will remain nameless told me the other month who it was who was behind the original Fort Baxter releases. For legal reasons and for their own sake they too will remain nameless on here as far as I'm concerned, but although I kinda knew of one name I was quite shocked at the additional info as to the "full board of directors".

After a while it made sense though.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:23 am

Who was behind Fort Baxter was a generally known fact. The personality will remain nameless.
Although it was the same person as some other quality labels at the time.
(Bilco, 2001)

Steve_M wrote:Hmmm........somehow I doubt it, then again who is Madison ?

Someone who will remain nameless told me the other month who it was who was behind the original Fort Baxter releases. For legal reasons and for their own sake they too will remain nameless on here as far as I'm concerned, but although I kinda knew of one name I was quite shocked at the additional info as to the "full board of directors".

After a while it made sense though.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:13 pm

Since I have a whale of a time finding this stuff anyway, I'd love to see more openness about who is behind "Fort Baxter," "Bilko," "Diamond Anniversary," etc. Even locations would be interesting.

Or at least more hints for someone who has been on the mb for a few years now.

I know, I know: don't tell! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :lol:

Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:28 pm

All I know is that the guy behind DAE deserves the Nobel prize for "Holding Back the Years" and "Old Times They Are Not Forgotten".

Those are two of my all-time favourite Elvis releases.

How about a comeback?!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:18 pm

*Deleted*
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:21 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:All I know is that the guy behind DAE deserves the Nobel prize for "Holding Back the Years" and "Old Times They Are Not Forgotten".

Those are two of my all-time favourite Elvis releases.

How about a comeback?!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Yessssssssssssss!

Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:52 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:All I know is that the guy behind DAE deserves the Nobel prize for "Holding Back the Years" and "Old Times They Are Not Forgotten".

...and "Let Me Take You Home", of course! How could I forget that one? These three CDs are the Holy Grail of import releases.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:00 am

re: DAE's "Holding Back the Years" "
"Old Times They Are Not Forgotten"
"Let Me Take You Home"

"....These three CDs are the Holy Grail of import releases...."

Or does it just seem like it? None of them are on FECC's hit parade, last I checked. I'm relatively new at this , so let me ask: what's so special about these three imports and why should I spend my cash on them (what's left after FTD cleans out my pockets)? :lol:

Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:06 am

Greg -
It's not that they are fabulous shows by any means. In my opinion, the Memphis show is the best followed by the Cincinnati show. However, the sound quality is by far superior to any soundboard shows that have been previously released. Even FTD hasn't released a soundboard show that can compare to these three CD's.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:12 am

"My It's Been A Long Long Time" has great sound to.

fort baxter is a fake

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:47 am

gregory my man you is so right. them bad asses behind these so called import cd releases must come out of the closet at once. i want names,addresses,telephone numbers,color of their eyes,hair,their favourite hangouts.are they human or alien? greg my man go out there and grab them. keep us posted- you hear?by the way,i know this really good shrink...have anice day,greg ol boy.

Re: New Fort Baxter is a Fake!

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Mathias wrote:Hi,

I would like you to know that the new release "Kansas City BLues" from the Fort Baxter Classic Series is not from the original Producers. It`s not even from the original Mastertape, the source they used was the original CD from the Profile Boxset.

Hi,

I would like to know how you "know" all of this. All evidence indicates you are grossly mistaken.

DJC

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:50 pm

Don't see the point in this discussion.

The sound of this release is better, the packging looks good and it serves the fans that missed the original release (only in a boxset and thus expensive) and serves the new fans as well...

So this release is a 'win / win' situation. And if you don't like it then don't buy it. I am sure that the people behind Fort Baxter did use the original Master.

Fort Baxter has been around long enough to know not to fool people like lots of other labels did over the years.

Hopefully Fort Baxter will be around for many years to come, also hope they will bring us some new soundboards too though!!.

Re: fort baxter is a fake

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:35 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:gregory my man you is so right. them bad asses behind these so called import cd releases must come out of the closet at once. i want names,addresses,telephone numbers,color of their eyes,hair,their favourite hangouts.are they human or alien? greg my man go out there and grab them. keep us posted- you hear?by the way,i know this really good shrink...have anice day,greg ol boy.

:lol: Ger, you been on your Jamaican roll-ups again :wink:

Greg, as anoninimty is a key part of any continuity of such releases then those pressing for disclosure of such are surpressing future releases.

Re: fort baxter is a fake

Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:40 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:gregory my man you is so right. them bad asses behind these so called import cd releases must come out of the closet at once. i want names,addresses,telephone numbers,color of their eyes,hair,their favourite hangouts.are they human or alien? greg my man go out there and grab them. keep us posted- you hear?by the way,i know this really good shrink...have anice day,greg ol boy.

:lol: Ger, you been on your Jamaican roll-ups again :wink:

Greg, as anoninimty is a key part of any continuity of such releases then those pressing for disclosure of such are surpressing future releases.

And of course, I know that, Steve. I'd never want the pipeline to close down. And thanks for the kind words, Ger. :roll:

Seriously, my point was that sometimes it seems like all of this gets a little "too inside" for my tastes. As a long-time fan - one who didn't frequent record shows and chatrooms and certainly not the internet until recently, I welcome things like the Follow That Dream label coming about. I've actually heard people complain that FTD releases stuff "that's all ready been released" -that is, on hard-to-get bootlegs. Let a thousand flowers bloom, but the "state secret" atttude sometimes gets a bit rich.

One of the best parts of FTD and somewhat negating their still-high prices (in the USA, anyway), is that they provide those of us doing other things non-Elvis (namely tending to paying the bills, the family, etc.) an opportunity to acquire these shows without the whole underground, secret-handshake B.S., as much as that is probably part of the fun for some people. And I say that not a novice collector, but as a former disk jockey and someone who has thousands of non-Elvis records and CDs.

That said, a few of my posts of this nature resulted in a few FECCers ( who know me a little by now) coming forth with offers to swap, etc., so I'm less in the dark than I was. That's all I was saying.

:lol:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:05 pm

It’s inevitable that previously issued boots will be repackaged from time to time. This has always been that case, and I don’t necessarily see it as a bad thing. There are new fans getting into Elvis’ music all the time, and whilst I would agree with Greg that tracking down such releases isn’t always an easy task, it is normally easier and more affordable to find a recent release, than it is to track down one that was issued 10 or twenty years ago.

In my opinion what really matters is not who is behind such things, but how much care and attention has been invested in both the audio restoration and the packaging. You can always tell which bootlegs have been put together by genuine fans that want to provide their fellow fans with a worthwhile quality product, and which ones have been thrown together for the money.

It goes without saying that Bilko, Baxter and Madison have a reputation for first class boot releases, and their efforts are very much appreciated.

fort baxter is a fake

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:13 am

Mathias,du kleines bratwurst du,next time stick to the things you know something about.You have made quite a primo arso of yourself by stating Kanses City Blues is not a regular Baxter release.