Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

An opportune Time for Elvis Presley News.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:05 am

The Memphis Business Journal, The Irish Times, News of the World, Evening Herald, Daily Journal, The Eagle, Yours, Ireland's Eye, Ireland's Own, The Dublin Daily, My Weekly, The Weekly News, Irish Examiner, Irish Star, Fingal Independent, Sunday World, newspapers and magazines along with the Tupelo and Mississippi guide books and other branches of the media have all featured Michiel Van der Sommen's work of Art, the beautiful and poignant life-sized bronze statue of, "Elvis at 13",

So what is so special about a bronze statue of Elvis Presley you ask? As if the editors of the above publications didn't:-)

Well this particular one is at ground level and thousands of Elvis fan are now taking the opportunity to put their arms around Elvis, and hold his outstretched hand, as they are photographed close to where Elvis was born. It may turn out to be amongst the most photographed statues in America - especially with the Tupelo Elvis Festivals attracting increasing numbers of fans and the all year round visitors too. It will be there when we are all pushing up the daisies:-)

I make no apologies to anyone for posting this topic again, because the creator of the statue, Michiel Van der Sommen, former Arctic helicopter pilot, a truly modern renaissance man, is to be our guest here in Ireland next week. Michiel may appear on TV3 on the 19th June, and be interviewed on our Radio stations. Newspapers will be covering his meeting with the, Society of Irish Sculptors, and a visit to an Irish Foundry.
Michiel will be giving a lecture on "From Clay to Bronze" at the Dublin Central Library, Henry Street, Dublin , Ireland. 6.30 PM 18th June 2003. All are welcome it is a Free event, a Slide-show included.
Knowing nearly everyone has Irish relatives or friends it would be nice if they informed them of this event. We hope to fill the place and we expect the media to be there too.

For those not familiar with the Elvis statue http://www.disney.20fr.com/

Yes, Folks, Elvis Presley will be in the news again! The World's press will be here for a special Congress, and the World's media in general because of the Special Olympics.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:26 pm

:D

Hi Maurice,

It is uplifting to see the amount of publicity you garner on behalf of Elvis.
Very soon we will have our work cut out again with a 'radio request campaign' for 'Rubberneckin'. I will e-mail most DJ's in the UK to hopefully get the same amount of airplay as ALLC. With a bit of luck we should have a No.1 hit again.

Keep up the sterling work.

Brian :D :D :D

Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:11 pm

You two really need to get a room. I haven't heard this much a55 kissing since I watched "Elvis-His Best Friend Remembers." Just sickening.

Tom

Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:25 pm

Thanks Brian, The today's edition of the, "Fingal Independent", with a readership of about 20,000 printed an article about Michiel's visit to Ireland. A nice b/w picture of us with the "Elvis at 13" statue.

LM FM Radio called and we discussed Tupelo and Michiel Van der Sommen' visit.

People from TV3, RTE1, and LM FM would like to interview michiel about his Art work and his Elvis Presley statue, next week.

The newspaper article is now on the link for all interested Elvis Presley fans to see:-)
http://community.webshots.com/album/42886863PmMEez

Keeping Elvis Presley in todays newspapers etc ensures youngsters will realise how significant he still is!

Re: An opportune Time for Elvis Presley News.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:18 am

disney wrote:So what is so special about a bronze statue of Elvis Presley you ask? As if the editors of the above publications didn't:-)

Well this particular one is at ground level and thousands of Elvis fan are now taking the opportunity to put their arms around Elvis, and hold his outstretched hand ...

[ snip ]

For those not familiar with the Elvis statue http://www.disney.20fr.com/

Maury -

Your phallic "Elvis statue" obsession is challenged only by your constant, delusional self-promotion.

Surely Ireland features readily available therapy?

You should focus some of your boundless, "Elvis at 13" statue-hugging energy on finding some.

God bless you!

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:22 am

yeah im about to blow!!! You guys disgust me!! all you lousy high and mighty types who think ur so damn good, ur a friggin disgrace to Elvis' memory and are an insult to Elvis to even be called a fan. U belong in the trashcans with the other filth. Doc, Tom, all of u chumps who think ur so damn bad and get ur jollies by putting down people.. GROW UP AND GET A LIFE!!!!! there, ive said my peace. enjoy...

Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:31 am

Just one question

Did Donna Presley even know Elvis personally?

And Kylan... let it all hang out... no need to pull punches :!:

Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:07 am

"Maurice . . .

Thanks for the incoming.
I like everything about the Tupelo Elvis statue but how it's facing on the lawn. When you're photographing it, you are always facing into the sun.

FYI, the city is spending over $1 million expanding and modernizing the EP Tupelo Birthplace. The entire landscape was being re-done when I was down there about a month ago.

I will be back in Tupelo signing books about 9th August.

Bill E. Burk
Publisher, Elvis World Magazine".

The above e-mail arrived yesterday. Doctor Carpenter will enjoy it if his jealousy will allow him to:-)

Bill in a subsequent e-mail says he would like to meet us for a meal in Memphis or Tupelo and he would like for me to organise a trip for him to Ireland:-)

Kiwi, Donna Presley was photographed with Elvis in Graceland when she was a child, and later at his wedding!!!

Another newspaper wants to send a photographer and reporter to interview Elvis statue Sculptor Michiel Van der Sommen next week, in our home.

Yesterdays newspaper report on Michiel's visit http://community.webshots.com/album/42886863PmMEez

Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:13 am

>>>>POP!<<<<

So sad, ............ Kylan just popped. :cry:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

N8
...just a fan....

Phallic?

Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:14 am

You really dove deep for that one didn't you Doc? I have not seen any representation of a statue that one could substitute for a phallus. Strange word coming from an equally strange man.
One might just call it par for the course eh Johnny?
Phallus indead! Let go of yours Doc and get a grip!

Tony

Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:46 pm

Blue-Gypsy, The Docs not holding a carrot?

I must admit, Dr John Carpenter's expert knowledge of Elvis trivia leaves us all in the shade. Having said that, a few of the down market Elvis books have most of his answers anyway.

The interest in this, "Elvis at 13", statue continues apace another newspaper editor has contacted yours truly for, "The Great Story"! See it on the link, the, "Fingal Independent".

http://community.webshots.com/album/42886863PmMEez