Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Viva Las Vegas: what was the thinking?

Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:52 am

Of all of Elvis' 60s movies "Viva Las Vegas" is the best loved and was the biggest hit. Yet it spawned no soundtrack. What made this even more bizarre is the fact that unlike "Harum Scarum", "Paradise Hawaiian Style", "Frankie and Johnny" the music on "Viva" was by and large actually good. Yet all RCA put out was a puny EP and a single. Why?

Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:58 am

Hi. I suspect that an album would need extra tracks to fill it up and the logical choice would be Ann-Margret's numbers but The Colonel was probably deadset against giving her album-equality so to speak.

Restricting it to an EP was a good excuse to only use Elvis' best stuff from that film. "Sorry Ann, not enough room for your songs." :?

She did have 3 numbers, one of which being a dance instrumental.

I don't think RCA or Colonel (or maybe Elvis himself) wanted to give her the space on those Presley vinyl grooves.

Very few or Elvis' soundtracks (if none - correct me if I'm wrong) included any songs done by co-stars. And he had seversl co-stars do a song on screen but hardly ever released on soundtrack record.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:10 am

Graceland Gardener -

Yes, all his 'duets' with co-stars [Shelley Fabares, Joan Blackman, Marianne Hill etc.] failed to make it to the soundtrack albums.

The colonel didn't want 'his boy' sharing the limelight with anyone !

The exception was Nancy Sinatra in 'Speedway'.

Her duet with Elvis and even her own solo song appeared on the album.

Guess Colonel Tom didn't want to wake up with a horse's head for company !
Last edited by ColinB on Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:16 am

The first was Nancy Sinatra on "Speedway".

You're right about A/Ms' songs probably having an effect. Parker disliked that she got so much of the movie as it was. Even without AM's songs there were enough to mount an album if you add in the cut numbers.

1. "Viva Las Vegas"
2. "Do the Vega"
3. "Night Life"
4. "I Need Someone to Lean on"
5. "What'd I Say"
6. "If You Think I Don't Need You"
7. "Santa Lucia"
8. "C'mon Everybody"
9. "Today, Tomorrow and Forever"
10. "Yellow Rose of Texas/The Eyes of Texas"

It would be a slim album like World's Fair though. "You're the Boss" is such a great cut. It's a shame it wasn't available. It probably could have been a big hit with publicity of El and AM singing together.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:17 am

Colin - lol good point. Daddy was The Chairman!

But I think Nancy also had some professional clout of her own at the time - she had a hit with "Boots Are Made For Walkin'" and had just done a Jame Bond theme "You Only Live Twice" which definitely creates international fame for any artist doing the 007 franchise.

-------

I happen to like the song about "Pappy" on Kissin Cousins but there aint no way RCA was gonna put that on the LP.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:53 pm

As i have opined many times before, everyone involved must have been sleeping at the wheel over Viva Las Vegas because of:

No proper soundtrack
You're The Boss not in film or released in 60's
no re-pairing of Elvis with Ann-Margaret

Although Viva is not a great film by any stretch, it is very entertaining and deserved more promotional push than all those other 60's clunkers.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:58 pm

by 1963-64 in Colonel's mind ELVIS was enough famous to avoid Ann Margret. In 1967, Nancy Sinatra was needed (in fact the movie gathered $3 million for the first time since 1964's roustabout).

Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:21 am

Too many soundtrack albums were being released at the time.

If they had to make a choice - then Kissin' Cousins should have had the EP treatment and Viva the LP. Bad judgement on someone's part.

If Roustabout could reach no 1 then surely so would Vegas back then as a LP

Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:52 am

She did have 3 numbers, one of which being a dance instrumental.

Ann-Margret performed three numbers in the film:

"The Lady Loves Me" (duet with Elvis)
"Appreciation"
"My Rival"

None of them is a "dance instrumental."

God bless!

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:07 am

Au contraire Doctor Scholar.

It's a given that we all know she did the duet.

Beside that, Ann-Margret had 3 numbers one of which was a dance instrumental.

Have you forgotten the piece of music she danced to at the auditorium when Elvis arrived (right before he did "C'mon Everybody")

She was clad in sweater and tight black leotard. You forget that ??? No red-blooded normal man can. (maybe you should see a real doctor lol)

That is instrumental music she danced to -- hence the correct term "dance instrumental"

:D Am I correct? Yes I am.

That music was obviously officially composed, performed and recorded and played back for "air guitaring" (or actually performed live?) in that scene. That was one of her scenes - one of her numbers. A dance instrumental.

God bless you too!

GG

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:15 am

Funny how this "music" isn't mentioned in any of the Elvis sessionographies, while the other pieces are.

If it wasn't written for the soundtrack and wasn't cut at Radio Recorders in July 1963, it is certainly NOT an Ann-Margret "dance instrumental."

Or can you name the author/s of this piece?

Of course they would've been contracted by MGM to compose this music, so if I'm mistaken I anxiously await your information.

Tick ... tick ... tick ...

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:18 am

Doc JC wrote:
Funny how this "music" isn't mentioned in any of the Elvis sessionographies, while the other pieces are.

Funny how the dance instrumental is seen and heard on screen in the film itself!!!!

Duh.

It doesn't matter whether or not if it's listed in the Almighty Sessionography. It's not an instrumental created for Elvis. I don't care the origin of the music. The FACT is it is performed in the movie.

It's music played in an Ann-Margret scene. It made the final cut. It's not a fignewton of my imagination. She was the only one dancing to it so it was her number.

Ann-Margret did a dance instrumental in the motion picture Viva Las Vegas.

Tattoo that on your forehead, doc.

If you insist that the "dance instrumental" does not exist, the burden of proof is on you tick tick tick yourself.

You were wrong in your above post and you're so egotistical you can't admit it.

God bless you!

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:30 am

The truth hurts, and perhaps that's why you avoid it.

The fact remains that Ann-Margret performed three numbers for the film:

"The Lady Loves Me" (duet with Elvis)
"Appreciation"
"My Rival"

They were cut at Radio Recorders in July 1963.

Your claim that her "dance instrumental" was also recorded for the film has NO basis in fact -- at least there's nothing that you can produce except a lot of hot air. That is why the sessionographies are relevant -- there would be some mention of this having been recorded.

The sequence in question likely utilizes a generic or "classic" dance piece which might be used at any dance rehearsal. Ann's "grunts" do not constitute a "song."

And -- if I recall -- Ann is actually dancing with several other people to a piano being played live on the set, NOT pre-recorded anyway. Which of course makes everything you've said moot.

Again.

Read and learn, Gardener.

Maybe you'll grow something other than weeds next time!

Buh-bye.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:35 am

My original statement that brought you out of the woodwork is that Ann-Margret did a dance instrumental. You said she didn't.

She did.

I don't give a flyin' frig where or when it was recorded.

Or if it was recorded.

The music came from somewhere - out of the sky? - the day they filmed that scene.

------------------------------------------
Ann's "grunts" do not constitute a "song."

Aahhh, total recall! You're beginning to remember the dance instrumental you at first said didn't exist. Good. We're making progress here.
------------------------------------------

Obviously to avoid making an apology, you suddenly now care greatly about the origin of this music you thought didn't even exist. Then you go research it scholar. The more you learn the more scholarly you'll be.

My original statement is untainted and unchallenged. She did a dance instrumental and you were in error saying that she didn't.

Oh how embarassed you must be. :oops:

The truth hurts and that's why you avoid it, sir.

But I forgive you. God bless.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:48 am

you left two out doc she also did

"youre the boss"
and "today,tomorrow and forever"

curtis simpkins

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:50 am

Dear Lord in Heaven, you are willfully ignorant. Such a rarity on this MB ...

What I've been saying is clear to anyone who can process thought.

READ and LEARN (if you can):

Ann-Margret (and others) did some dance steps with LIVE piano support for a brief sequence in the film.

It is NOT a specific song done in the film.

It was NOT written or recorded for the film.

This segment cannot be categorized as a "performance" any more than Elvis' whistling in "Change Of Habit."

Good night. Back to the corner, put on the pointy cap, and be quiet.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:55 am

you are willfully ignorant.

You call me ignorant? You are a prick.

Dr. John Carpenter provoked this personal attack in violation of the FECC rules. I have HTML saved this thread to my archive in case I need to reference it later (in case it suddenly gets deleted online)

dance steps with LIVE piano support
is a "dance instrumental."

You just can't admit when you are wrong can you? You twist it & twist it in a futile effort to make you look better - the Elvis Know-It-All. You're gonna teach me a lesson huh? :x

You made a rush to judgement with your first post. You simply forgot about the dance instrumental at the gym. Simple enough. Admit that you made a hasty mistake.

Almighty.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:03 am

Ann-Margret (and others) did some dance steps with LIVE piano support for a brief sequence in the film.

It is NOT a specific song done in the film.

It was NOT written or recorded for the film.

This segment cannot be categorized as a "performance" any more than Elvis' whistling in "Change Of Habit."

The above quote proves that you nitpicked one of my posts where I admitted I wasn't sure if the dance instrumental was pre-recorded or live or karaoke for that matter. This is the only target you have to insult me and try to haplessly display "scholarliness"

You prove that the music was LIVE before you insult me.
You prove it was NOT written or recorded for the film before you insult me.

Oh, and by the way, it is Ann-Margret's dance instrumental.

Remember it now?

hahahahahahaha
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:05 am

hey gg
i just wonder of dr john is tom in north caroline
they both act a like.

curtis simpkins

Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:21 am

The Doc can be at times a welcomed contributor to a topic (such as the MSG one where he displayed the Rolling Stone mag. NOTE: He also managed condensendingly insult someone there too)

but here on this thread, he chimed in and made an info mistake - forgetting about the instrumental - but immaturely can't bring himself to admit it. So he resorts to insulting me directly - and between the lines - (I'm more clever than he thinks) - And it's suddenly the snarling rude mean a-hole Doc when you prove that he is wrong.

He needs an RX of prozac.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:05 am

Graceland Gardener wrote: She did have 3 numbers, one of which being a dance instrumental.

I don't think it would be wrong to say Ann-Margret had a dance number in the movie. I remember seeing it. :wink:

:lol:

Dr. John / Tom in NC

Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:59 am

Mr. Simpkins:

No, Dr. John and Tom in North Carolina is not the same person. Tom in North Carolina likes Matchbox 20 which, of course, means he is five or maybe six years old. I know for a fact that Dr. John is much older than that.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:51 pm

I guess something is factual only if it is written in a book. Hmmm. Carry on, guys, and remember, seeing something doesn't mean it happened... :D

Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:47 pm

Viva Las Vegas is the best of Elvis' 60's musicals IMO. Even the music is a bit better than usual. It is strange that no soundtrack was issued at the time. RCA by & large released 3 Elvis albums per year, so this would have been a great release for the summer of 64! "You're The Boss" would have made a terrific single. Given the popularity of VLV a soundtrack album would've likely been his biggest seller since Blue Hawaii, and potentially even bigger! A single of "You're The Boss" may very well have hit the top 10. RCA and Parker really dropped the ball big time with this!