Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Bogus Elvis concert poster on Ebay (yet again)

Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:44 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2337

Bogus. Bogus. Bogus. This guy jamietherecordman( 2801) is in Memphis and he's selling these constantly on ebay. He must have his own printing press churning out these fake posters. Although he states it is a reproduction, it's a poster for an event that never occured!

"Blue Suede Shoes" was not being performed in March 1955. Johnny Cash was not signed to Sun Records until June 1955. And the photo itself is not from 1955 at all.

I emailed this seller about a year ago and politely pointed out all these contradictory facts to him but I guess he don't care. Caveate Emptor.

But crap like this does distort the true history. Many people may not purchase one of these but might see it and accept it as a true incident in Elvis' early days.

Off on a tangent, I know ........... but........

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:21 am

Lord knows, it wouldn't be the first time somebody has read something and blindly accepted it as the truth.

It becomes an even bigger problem when subsequent "authors" reprint the same stories already accepted as "fact." Every time the story is retold, it becomes a little more ingrained as the "truth."

"The biggest threat to the "truth" is NOT the lie, ...... but the "myth.""

This is very much the case with the Life of Elvis Presley. The small details of "truth" are lost in the mega-twists of mythic tales told time and time again ........... first by the self-promoting schmucks who were around Elvis ....... then later by the fans and media.

In the end, the 70's Elvis is no more than a mythic-image of a spent "has-been" who was formerly able to walk on water, ............. but now only an obese human beyond imagination, a performer who sweat buckets of perspiration while waddling around on stage (only after he was carried to and from his car and passed out a few times on-stage), who was paranoid and never went out without at least several guns on his person, who was so mentally unstable that he locked himself in his room surrounded by "New Age" teachings - talking to his shadow on the wall - "Jessie" and his beloved Gladys up in the attic - crying, in the throes of a perpetual depression, ........... who only ate peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches and popped pills by the handfull, only pausing between to buzz Lamar downstairs to change his diapers. :roll:

I could go on, but I think the point is clear enough ...........

The mythic transformation is a double-edged sword. The only truth in all of those descriptions is the very small yet critical point whose significance is lost .................. the man was a human being. "Myths" only have kernels of "truth" in them ........... but not everybody is wise enough to spot them or even know what they are.

N8
...just a fan....

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:40 am

N8,

I've told you this before, but I have to say it again... awesome post, man.