Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis On Tour

Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:45 pm

This may be old news, but for anyone who doesn't know, the video of Elvis On Tour no longer has the split screen. I picked this up last Friday (along with Joe Esposito's His Best Friend Remembers dvd), popped it in, opened a cold one, and lo & behold I was pleasantly surprised to see the split screen gone! (it's still used for the opening credit sequence). I only picked this up to tide me over until they get around (or maybe that should be IF they get around) to releasing an upgraded Elvis On Tour on dvd. I have an old betamax EOT video, but I no longer have a betamax player, so when I spotted this video in the store for $10.00 I grabbed it! Anyway, I found it to be much more enjoyable to view it without the split screen.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:15 am

Hi John -
It's part of the MGM/Turner Elvis collection, the date on the box is 1997. I believe all the footage is intact, and I also think there's a few extra bits (or at any rate, there's some shots I don't recall being in the original).

Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:31 am

To my knowledge this print of the film was first released in the UK on a double features video with “Kissin' Cousins” in 1992. It has since been used for the re-issued video versions of “Elvis On Tour” including an officially released Warner Brothers Video CD, and now appears to be the only print of the film that is still officially available.

The camera simply pans in on one of the screens from the original multi screen movie to give the impression that you are watching a newly edited full screen version of the film. It does make for an enjoyable alternative to the original movie, but also means that the original multi screen movie is still sought after by collectors, as the pan and scan process eliminates some of the original footage from this new version of the film.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:37 am

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:15 am

I've got the version that's out on Laserdisc, it's the split screen... but not all the time... is there a version out there that's full "widescreen"/"letterbox"?

Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:46 am

My laserdisc version of EOT on MGM/UA is the letterboxed widescreen edtion in 2.35:1 apect ratio.
All VHS version released are pan and scan with letterboxed sequences up to a few years ago - I don't know about any newer isssues - but I don't think it has been reissued since 1997.

All prints run the 93 mins that the theatrical print ran - they do not contain additional footage. The only additional on tour footage released since 1973 has been the snippets used in this is elvis and the sequnences in lost performances.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:32 am

Forever,

Does yours have a grey section across the top with "Stereo Extended Play" on the left part of the grey strip, "MGM/UA" in the middle, and "Laser Videodisc" on the right.... and below is a blended 2-pic thing, one with guitar and one in the powder blue more in the background and side?

Just making sure we have the same one. Mine says 1984 on it.

Thanks!

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:42 am

This version of ELVIS ON TOUR is a total disappointment, I first watched this in Memphis in '98. I have since got a copy, God knows why!. It's terrible quality, got half of the original split-screen pressing missing, all the ending shots are missing, Sweets on the plane, Elvis in Red Burning Love suit etc. Avoid like the plague... Crap.

Hope they don't put this version out on DVD.....

Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:48 am

I have On Tour and That's the Way it is, on laser disc.
I don't have a laser disc player anymore. I need to transfer them onto DVD. So I have the original versions.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:41 pm

Good Idea Sam, I think in time though, they will bring out the original copy of on tour. I hope! I can't be doing with the crappy copy. TTWII has been released in the states, but I think it's since been deleted. I think I'm not 100% on that. It's never been released in the UK, only the new version. Which I love, but I would also love the original on DVD.

Keep On Rockin'

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:21 pm

Joe Lightcloud wrote:This version of ELVIS ON TOUR is a total disappointment, I first watched this in Memphis in '98. I have since got a copy, God knows why!. It's terrible quality, got half of the original split-screen pressing missing, all the ending shots are missing, Sweets on the plane, Elvis in Red Burning Love suit etc. Avoid like the plague... Crap.

Hope they don't put this version out on DVD.....

Yes, it is awful! My copy of it doesn´t even include the opening dialogue (about guitar players not worth a damn), but instead the movie starts a few seconds into "Johnny B. Goode". A disgrace! And what´s more, the cover says running time is 120 minutes! :evil:

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:15 pm

Rockinrebel is right. What they've done on this 1997 release is closed-in on one of the split screen images. You can see traces of the other 2 images at the left and right borders of the picture. My copy does have the "never saw a guitar player worth a damn" speech, and retains the split screen for the "Johnny B. Goode" opening credit sequence.
I will say this for the film: Elvis' vocal performances of the following songs are, to my ears, better than the ones on MSG; Aloha; Live/Memphis: See See Rider; Polk Salad Annie; Never Been To Spain (incredibly powerful); I Got A Woman; A Big Hunk O' Love; You Gave Me A Mountain; Lawdy Miss Clawdy. And "Bridge" is truly amazing!