Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

recommendations

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:18 pm

Hi
I'm new to the forum (in new to Elvis)I only have 1 Elvis cd All Time Greatest Hits.I'm hoping some of you good people could give me some pointers on where to start for a good Elvis collection.
Thanks in advance
Steely

WHAT ERA?

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:59 pm

Depending on if you liked all of the Greatest collection you have, or if you have a special era you prefer.
But, for starters, I would go for ELVIS PRESLEY, his first album!
Then, from the 60's, I would go and get ELVIS IS BACK and FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS.
Then for the 70's, I think I would go for ELVIS COUNTRY.
All these for starters.
From there on, you would easily find the way through all the links you may find, while you're already in here!

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:30 pm

First off, welcome. Hope you stick around a while, its a great board with some great people aboard, [the odd moron aside....but you'll get that anywhere]

Anyway.....for me the first MUST OWN album of the Kings would HAVE to be Thats The Way It Is....the man at the very top of his game. Great album. After that Id take the Jungle Room Sessions.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:46 pm

Bajo -

Must agree with your choices !

Unfortunately, for someone intending to collect everything, if they start with these a lot of the rest will seem like an anti-climax !

I sometimes think that it might be better to start off with 'Harum Scarum' or 'Girl Happy'.

Then everything else will be an improvement !

Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:46 am

Hi Steely! Welcome a "board"!

Here are some "Elvis Essentials":

Sunrise (2 CD) - All of Elvis Sun recordings plus some alternates and live Louisiana Hayride recordings
Elvis' Golden Records - Elvis' gold singles from 1956-57
Elvis Is Back - Studio recordings from RCA Studio B 1960
Suspicious Minds (2 CD) - All of the 1969 American Studio Session recordings plus some alternates
That's The Way It Is - Special Edition (3CD) - studio cuts from June 1970 and includes various live cuts from August 1970 engagement in Las Vegas plus one of the best live performances Elvis ever gave (in its entirety)

That's a pretty good start. There are of course many more to this list but it depends on how much you have to spend and you have to start somewhere!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:31 am

hi welcome aboard, all the above titles are a must. but whatever you enjoy is also good too. there is plenty out there on the market, try to pick up the book elvis, a life in music by ernst jorgensen. it is a must read and can help you out on what songs are on which album. rock on, simmer :roll:

Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:02 am

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on your Elvis collection! It's a good start and will give you a feel as to what era appeals to you.

Some people like the 50's, some the 60's or maybe the 70's. Or even all of them! It's really all down to personal taste.

There's loads of great Elvis recordings to choose from. Hope you get as much pleasure out of collecting and listening to Elvis recordings, as I have.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:18 am

Congretulations for becoming an Elvis fan and welcome to the board.
I hope you`ll enjoy it. There are fantastic guys here.
I want to refer to the post above from Getlo.
If you have a little money to spent (and you have to to built up a Elvis collection) I would buy the box-sets The King Of Rock n Roll (all 50`s Masters), The 60`s Masters ( all masters but film-, live and religious songs) and Walk a Mile in my Shoes ( a great collection of essential 70`s recordings ).
If you`ve listened to all these You`ll get your next pay-bill. There is tons of material on these boxes.

regards
Ciscoking

Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:03 am

Yes welcome Steely.

Elvis Fans are the best people on Earth.

The above-mentioned cds and boxsets are a great investment.
I recommend that at some point, you begin to build an original vinyl collection too.

CDs are great for the remastered sound quality and instant portable playability
...but...alot of retail Elvis cds become obsolete every few years due to a new-improved upgrade. (BMG did just that with four cds plus deleted many other Elvis cds to never be made again :cry: )

The albums and singles released during Elvis' own lifetime is where being an Elvis Fan/Elvis Listener all began.

Imo, having the best of these pressings really means something special.

Those 1956-1977 RCA records (and especially the 1954-55 Sun Records 45s) are collectively the Holy Grail of Elvis Audio Memorabilia.

I'd part with one of my Elvis cds before I ever would part with one of my original Elvis 45 w/ps.

Remember, Elvis Presley never heard a compact disc - but he did slap many a record on his own turntable. It's the vintage Elvis Era medium.

To find them today in excellent condition is the thrill of the hunt!

To find a mint copy of "A Date With Elvis" is the thrill of the hunt!

To find a good 78rpm copy of "Love Me Tender"/"Any Way You Want Me" for fifty cents at a yard sale...[true story]...is the thrill of the hunt.

To find "Elvis' Christmas Album" with the army-pic backcover...with factory shrinkwrap still attached?!??? YES!!!!

Aaah, the pride of ownership. 8)

Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:57 am

Hey Steely! Welcome to the board, and welcome to the wonderful world of Elvis! Not being very original here; I can only agree completely with elvis-fan´s shopping list! That is a great "basic" collection, and then you can start collecting all those other wonderful (and, ahem, not so wonderful) albums like "Girl Happy" or "Double Trouble".

(ColinB: what? do you not think "Harum Scarum" is a great album? I love it! But of course, I was in the movie so I haven´t got much choice, do I?)

:twisted:

Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:52 pm

Prince Dragna -

(ColinB: what? do you not think "Harum Scarum" is a great album? I love it! But of course, I was in the movie so I haven´t got much choice, do I?)

Err..........no !

It was so poor that RCA/BMG didn't even bother with releasing a single from it !

What part did you play ?

Couldn't have been the midget, because that was Billy Barty !

Fourth camel handler perhaps ?
Last edited by ColinB on Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:58 pm

I would recomend the upgraded Moody Blue Cd, The upgraded Promised Land CD, The upgraded From Elvis In Memphis CD. These are three good value, excellent content Cds. They would be a good start in my opinion.

:twisted:

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:13 pm

Sam, with all due respect, I wouldn't recommend "Moody Blue" so soon to a newbie. Here's why:

Being the last album (and a mostly sad one at that) everything else in Elvis' career would be working backward from that 1977 point. No matter the cd or song, it would be a subconscious comparison to the man's voice on Moody Blue (or 1976 Blvd for that matter).

The original Elvis fan (those who are in the 50s/60s age group now) began listening in the 1950s then came the 1960s then the 70s etc. in a real-time chronological time frame.

Steely - and any new fan - has an opportunity to duplicate that original Fan's ear with chronological accumulation (50s first) and hear the actual evolution of Elvis' sound and style as it occured across the decades.

It's too simple today to digest a 23 year career with one hour of listening to a compilation. It's too convenient. There were years dividing most of these recordings but now you can hear everything A to Z in a =snap=.

As much as I love FTD and BMG for giving us more from the archives, it can become a jumbled-up mixed-up listening process - 1963 here; 1955 there; 1971 - then 1969; then 1957; then 1975... etc.

Steely, do what you want and listen to whatever intrigues you about Elvis' recording career. I for one am glad you're interested. Friends here have listed so most excellent material indeed but my humble recommendation is start with the explosive young exciting wildcat Elvis of the 1950s and gradually work your way into the deeper-voiced glittering superstar twilight of his years.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:50 pm

Hi Steely, welcome to the force, son.

Ther have been some excellent recommendations so far!

Here's my two penneth:

I think it's a good idea to do what I did when I started getting Elvis cd's all of two years ago and go for a range of albums, spanning Elvis' whole career.

If you're really serious and have got a few quid to spare, I'd suggest these:

1: SUNRISE 2 cd *
2: ELVIS '56 *
3: LOVING YOU (1997)
4: KING CREOLE (1997) *
5: ELVIS IS BACK! (1999) *
6: HIS HAND IN MINE
7: SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY (1999)
8: POT LUCK (1999)
9: FOR THE ASKING (1990)
10: TOMORROW IS A LONG TIME (1999) *
11: MEMORIES - THE 68 COMEBACK SPECIAL (1998) 2 cd *
12: SUSPICIOUS MINDS - THE MEMPHIS 69 ANTHOLOGY (1999) 2 cd *
13: THAT'S THE WAY IT IS SPECIAL EDITION (2000) 3 cd *
14: ELVIS COUNTRY (2000)*
15: BURNING LOVE (1999)*
16: ALOHA FROM HAWAII (1998)
17: PROMISED LAND (2000)*
18: ELVIS RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS
19: TODAY
20: MOODY BLUE (2000)

The one's with brackets after them are the latest (?) edition of each cd - most of them contain bonus tracks, usually the singles from the time, and have nice little booklets.

I think that all of these (and more!) are really indispensible to any collection as, imo, they are all crackers in their own way.

The titles with astericks after them, I suggest you try and get those first.

If you love these as much as we all do, you'll then enter the wonderful world of alternate takes, concert recordings and, dare I say it, bootlegs but I don't want to scare you yet!

Just try some of these out - you won't be dissappointed and if you are, I'd keep those receipts if I were you!

Andrew.

Graceland Gardener - Moody Blue was the first Elvis cd I bought as I didn't have much 70's stuff on tape - it didn't scare me off!

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:25 pm

The three 5 disc masters box sets are a good way to start if you can afford them. These are:

“Elvis – The King Of Rock ‘n’ Roll – The Complete ‘50’s Masters”
“From Nashville To Memphis – The Essential ‘60’s Masters”
“Walk A Mile In My Shoes – The Essential ‘70’s Masters”

A nice addition to these three sets would be the 2 CD collection “Amazing Grace – His Greatest Sacred Performances” which provides a good overview of Elvis gospel recordings.

If you prefer to collect individual albums, I would recommend these for starters:

“Sunrise”
“Elvis 56”
“Elvis Is Back”
“Suspicious Minds”
“I’m 10,000 Years Old Elvis Country”

Owning the “Sunrise” CD and the “Elvis ’56” CD means that you own all the material originally released on the classic 1966 debut album “Elvis Presley” (LPM1254) and a lot more besides, whilst the “Suspicious Minds” album includes the complete masters from the legendary 1969 Memphis sessions, and therefore includes the “From Elvis In Memphis” album in it’s entirety.

Of course there are many additional great albums, and most have been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I think the five titles mentioned above would be a good place to start, if you can’t afford the box sets.

re:recommendations

Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:10 pm

Thanks to all who took the time to share their knowledge.
All I need now is to win the lottery :D
Once again thanks
Steely

Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:04 pm

Hello and welcome Steely -
Rockinrebel's post pretty much covers it. In addition to Rebel's recommendations I would add the following: Memories - the 68 Comeback Special; the FTD release Elvis At The International; On Stage Feb. 1970; and An Afternoon In the Garden. Happy collecting!

recommendations

Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:02 pm

Hi all
Just to let you know what your up against in a small town (around 50,000)
I went shoppoig today for some of the recommendations i got from the board.No shops in Kilmarnock had ANY Elvis cd's :cry: .I guess I'll have to go to Glasgow or buy on the net.
Cheers
Steely

Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:31 pm

Steely,
Welcome aboard!! Between Pete and rockinrebel, I think the essentials have been covered. Once again, welcome.

Tom

Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:49 pm

For a town the size of Kilmarnock it DOES have relatively little by the way of decent CD/DVD stockists[quite a busy Sherriff Court though:)], try Argyle St in Glasgow, HMV and Virgin have some great sellections of Elvis cds, [though BOTH are a little pricey] Up until recently Virgin had in stock the TTWII box set.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:49 pm

Hi,

I think the essentials are the 3 box sets

complete 50's masters
essential 60's masters
essential 70's masters

after that you can start try to collect the double features serie.

When you have them all, you have mostly the masters Elvis recorded.