Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS PHOTO'S WITH WAYLON

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:59 pm

Waylon Jennings went to see Elvis in 1969 in Las Vegas, he met him backstage and Elvis commented on Waylon's wrist band, saying that he liked it, and where could he get one. I don't know anymore about the meeting, but I would have thought they would have had their picture taken together. Has anybody seen a picture, or better still does anybody have one. I know Elvis rated Jennings, and owned a copy of Jennings's album "Honky Tonk Heroes", which had the fantastic record "You asked Me To" which The King recorded in his mega December 1973 Stax recordings in Memphis. Also from those recording sessions came "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" which Waylon also recorded, in December 1972, and sounds very much like Elvis's recording a year later. Waylon included the extra verse "Got my pills to ease the pain, can't find a thing to ease the rain" which El' is said to have recorded on one of the takes, and then later decided to scrap these few lines.
Other songs Waylon recorded, that Elvis also recorded include:
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (1965)
The Twelfth Of Never (1965)
(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me (1966)
Gentle On My Mind (1967)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (April 1970)
Suspicious Minds (1970)
Never Been To Spain (May 1972)

Another great artist who recently died of diabetes related problems.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:56 pm

Joe -

"Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues"

When the master take [9] of this appeared at 3:17 on the 70's box set in 1995, it was slightly longer than on the original Good Times album.

This longer version was also on the 2000 reissue of the Promised Land album.

Ernst Jorgensen/Joe Tunzi [can't remember which] reports that these are edits.

The unedited master is 4:32 long.

I wonder if the 'pills' bit has been cut out ?

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:26 pm

I reckon it has, I have talked to other people about it and they say the same. RCA chopped it.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:37 pm

Oh hell yeah,

Again they cut things out of the song. Probably because it is to offensive.

BMG when are you giving us the complete recordings. It ain't the 50's anymore.