Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:54 am

hey Tony, just look what he wrote in Rod's post about his Elvis collection. it makes no sense. he's missing a few pieces if u ask me!

Elvis

Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:01 am

Yeah I read it Kylan and I started to respond but you know I am just going to ignore him. I will debate anyone who makes a little sense but when you just make off the wall statements something is wrong with him. It would be like trying to argue with a child... they just aint gonna get it. Do I will just choose to ignore ignorance. At least when DJC pisses me off he makes a little sense.. :lol: :lol:

Tony

Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:34 am

Good post, Blue-Gypsy.

Don't you just love it when total strangers tell you as an Elvis fan you put Elvis on a pedestal, make him a hero, a God, etc.

As if we have not read millions of words to the contrary:-)

You are right, some here do have a problem with rational thought and sensible debate.

They are obsessed with Elvis, and his Fans too. LOL.

Exaggeration and misinterpretation is their only futile weapons!

Meanwhile, besotted fan that I am, more newspapers this week will be running Elvis stories again because of e-mail from yours truly:-)

http://community.webshots.com/album/42886863PmMEez

Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:50 am

"Okay then Elvis was the best soldier that Unlce Sam ever had.

He roughed it in barracks with 40 other sweaty grunts.

Driving an officer around all day would tax the most able-bodied person.

He did more than his duty.

I am jealous that he spent close to two years as a conscript and I spent the NZ norm of 14 weeks."

Somebody here sounds a little jealous?!!?!

This seems a bit overboard. True Elvis had some advantages. But not that many. Elvis did his time, and actually got promoted.
I wouldn't want to do the time...even it was a little cushy. Elvis had millions...end of story. Still he took it like a man. I fail to read where Elvis didn't serve his duties. I am betting there were officers that wanted to have his ass in ringer.

The saddest thing to me about Elvis army life, is that it changed him forever. For the first time, Elvis had the taste of power. For once people HAD to be around him, and being his friend had certain advantages.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:27 am

Three Life-Changing Things To Enter Elvis' Life During His Army Hitch....

The Beaulieus

The Stanleys

The Pills

In the long run, all three did him wrong.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:33 pm

KiwiAlan-
I agree with your comments to a certain extant about not elevating Elvis to sainthood or putting him on a pedestal. But I do think that you're taking a "glass is half-empty" view of his Army service. While it's true that he did finish his stint as a driver, it's also true that he served part of his time with a tank unit. This duty included going on manuevers at the border of east and west Germany at a time when the cold war could've turned hot at the drop of a hat. He slept in the snow just like the other guys (or had to stay awake/alert all night, which, sadly, is when he was introduced to speed). As for having his family live off base that was not a special priviledge granted exclusively to Elvis, that was a provision the Army had for ANY recruit who met the criteria. Elvis could have chosen a cushy U.S.O. post, but he refused. Whether or not Elvis hated being in the Army is beside the point (I personally believe that what he hated was having to go in at the height of his career), the bottom line is he served, and was held in high regard by those he served with. No he wasn't Audie Murphy, but he did his job and was considered a good soldier.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:05 am

I think Elvis did sacrifice by going into the army. Most soldiers don't have that kind of career going. No other performer had ever been away for that long and kept a career going especially a rock performer. In truth, there would have been no disgrace if he had gone into the special services especially in peace time. It's very suspicious by the way that Elvis was drafted at 23 when most soldiers are called at 18, 19 and 20. That's another debate. The good that it did him was that it cemented his reputation with middle America.

Still, it's crazy to put a performer in the regular service. Everybody has their thing they do well and it's silly not to take advantage of that. You wouldn't ask Charles Lindbergh to be an infantry grunt for instance. Elvis probably could have done more for the general good selling war bonds and entertaining the troops. What does more good increasing troop morale and raising millions in war bonds or standing a night on watch and driving a jeep?

Also the regular soldier thing did also hamper Elvis in one way that doesn't affect a regular soldier. He couldn't complain with his buddies in the service, lest he be seen as a spoiled superstar.

It's fairly common for soldiers especially officers in peace time to have a place off base. If you show up on time, put in your day like everyone else the army has no complaints.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:48 am

Elvis spent alot of time in the field while in Germany. He pulled guard duty, went on tank manuevers, and the supposed officer's driver detail he had was actually driving a scout vehicle with his platoon leader. That officer wrote a book about Elvis' service in Germany and said he did an outstanding job. He was under constant pressure from officers to perform for the troops, soldiers (including officers) asking for autographs, and other ridiculous b.s. I served for 6 1/2 years in the Army and I would bet nobody got a cushy ride in Germany during the height of the cold war. Serving in the Army could have been the perfect opportunity to destroy Elvis publically. At around the same time Chuck Berry went to jail for violation of the Mann Act, Jerry Lee Lewis was crushed by the uproar of his marriage to his 13 year old cousin, and Little Richard had retired to be a minister. Hmmmm....food for thought isn't it.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:23 pm

You know people like to say that the British bands are what sqaushed the 50's. It simply isn't so. With the death of Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly....the best were out of circulation!!!

Elvis's service to his country was honorable.

Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:10 pm

I suspect that Kiwi's comments have less to do with Elvis's stint in the U.S. Army than they do with the U.S. Army and in particular, the U.S. government. I'm reminded of some rather impolite discussions from the previous board and Kiwi's allegations of American barbarism. Save it, "whale rider." ("whale rider" is that a euphenism for something?) Ewww....

Regardless of whether Elvis deemed his duty as a picnic or not, he was a true American patriot. He served honorably and did so without many of the privileges he could have accepted. He did not perform in the USO. He did not get handed some cushy assignment. He was trained as an ordinary soldier in the use of weaponry. He went on overnight maneuvers during which he was susceptible to frostbite. He served as a tank operator and rose to the rank of sergeant. He did nothing more or less than many of the soldiers he served with and that is precisely why his fellow soldiers came to respect him. To criticize him because he managed to do all of this within the confines of his fame and wealth is to sell his accomplishment well short of what is due.

Like it or not, Elvis served America well. Ride THAT, Kiwi.

Eagle

His Truth Is Marching On...

Re: Elvis's service to his country was honorable.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:05 am

EagleUSA wrote:... Elvis ..... was a true American patriot. He served honorably and did so without many of the privileges he could have accepted. He did not perform in the USO. ............. He was trained as an ordinary soldier in the use of weaponry. He went on overnight maneuvers ............. He served as a tank operator and rose to the rank of sergeant. He did nothing more or less than many of the soldiers he served with and that is precisely why his fellow soldiers came to respect him. To criticize him because he managed to do all of this within the confines of his fame and wealth is to sell his accomplishment well short of what is due.

Like it or not, Elvis served America well.
Eagle

His Truth Is Marching On...

His Truth Is Marching On ........... indeed.

Ditto - on ALL of the above sentiments.

I'm a bigger fan and respect E much more because of it as well.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:58 am

Perhaps you people are missing a point. Elvis left his early career to do his duty in the army. 2 years away from his growing career could have killed anyone else. He took a great risk, and I think he took it on the chin. Imagine how many other young Americans looked up to that.