Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What would Elvis has done ............

Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:10 pm

One of the best shows that Elvis ever did was Elvis in Hawaii from 1973. Also , this show was live on television all over the world by satellite. Every-one knows that Elvis has to kalm down a bit just because it was live on worldwide television !

My question is :

What would Elvis has done different at this show when there where no holds !

Would he give a little karate demonstration ?
Maybe some more action with suspicious minds ?

When you take a look at the Elvis on tour tape you will see that he is more in with the audience , great piece of art of karate , making fun with the band ect ect .......

Just tell me what you think that Elvis would have done with No Holds Barred !!!!!

Ron & Jessica - Netherlands.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:19 pm

I think Elvis would have been more relaxed had the show not been broadcast live via satellite, and we may have seen more of the humour that we are now used to from watching the documentaries, and hearing soundboard shows. It’s likely that he would have moved around a little more as well, but I do understand the decision to tone down the stage movements as the show was being broadcast across different countries, cultures, and religions, and it was important that nobody was offended by it.

The only other thing I can think of is that Elvis wouldn’t have been under pressure from RCA to vary the song selection, and come up with a show that was considerably different to 1972’s MSG album. Had this been just another tour show in Hawaii, I doubt there would have been plans for another live album, so soon after the MSG release.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:23 pm

Mahalo -

Well, he would have been a lot less focussed.

There would have been more fluffed lines, forgotten lyrics, messing about with the band, plane engine imitations etc.

It was quite refreshing to hear him so concentrated and careful to get the songs done in 'one-take' so to speak.

AGREE WITH COLIN!

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:25 pm

I agree with Colin here! Elvis was focused and sang well. Especially on the songs he never recorded himself! Overall, the first impression I had when I first saw the show on TV was awesome! I know non Elvis fans who were also carried away by the very visual impression the show was at the time!
Even today when I watch this show, I'm still beeing carried away.
No wonder why this show became so popular! Somehow I was hoping that this would have been the image left of Elvis in the 70's for the world at large.
But, since ELVIS IN CONCERT was shown, that show somehow became what many people remembered him by! Pity!

Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:13 am

For the time period we're talking about here and considering where Elvis was at with his career,
that show was perfect. How could you improve on that?
Thank God we didn't hear yet another version of "I Got A Woman" as his second number...
"Burning Love" was the ultimate song following "See See Rider" for his show.
Too bad he didn't stick with it.

Elvis performed as the consumate professional / perfectionist that he was (for that period in his career).
Aside from the screaming through the 50's tunes (with the exception of "Johnny B Goode" &
"A Big Hunk O Love" which were excellent), I don't think there's one song he performed that night
that he could have improved on (although SM was definitely better in 1970).

Come on, he looked perfect, he sang perfectly... he looked like a freakin' god!!!
If you want to Elvis at powerful, professional best, "Elvis - Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite" is it.

:D

Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:33 am

I love "Aloha From Hawaii" precisely because of Elvis' focus and getting down to business. Visually, the event was impressive beyond words.

He was nothing short of a prancing peacock stud during that performance. He pulled it off magnificently.

N8
...just a fan....

Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:51 am

Can't wait for the new DVD of this show to come out. :D

:D

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:37 am

The look on his face as he first appears on stage tells the whole story, very nervous, yet appearing totally in control at the same time with that devilish smile. He of course can also be seen between lyrics counting beats before picking the lyrics up again demonstrating a level of commitment and desire to execute perfection. It was an awesome show for what it was to represent with a great line up, the band bang on the money and Elvis' image was far more mature looking then before and very impressively perfect for a man of 38.
What would I change? I would have been there. No holds barred? Elvis would not have had such a dramatic song line up of rare music. He would have been all over the place but, would have never gotten in great shape and risen to the challenge for the last time in his life. (Physically and commitment level speaking)
Steve

Aloha

Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:04 am

I have always thought this was Elvis crowning moment. It would have been perfect for him to end the jumpsuit era on this note. Maybe do a movie, get married and settle down a bit and then in a few years rejuvinate his music career with a whole new style and sound like he did in 60 and then in 68-69. See Elvis had time to listen to musical influences around him at the time and then draw his own style from that. He never had that time to take that breath and absorb the musical trends that were happening around him allowing him to adapt and change with the times. If only he could have had the pressure of a movie director and producer to keep him in shape and give him a reason not to go over the deep end with the prescription drugs. It is no secret that after Elvis finished his movie career is when the heavy drug use started taking over. He had no one to answer to but himself.

Tony