Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

the memphis live double cd ( an FTD project to submit )

Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:41 pm

here is a idea for a future FTD release ( a real winner !!!! )

the memphis live double cd !

disc 1 the full concert in memphis in remastered sound ( without ridiculous fake applause )

if possible mixed by a sound engineer who know something about how to
manage a live and rockin' show !!!

disc 2 "hometown highlights"

Memphis, March 16 1974
love me tender
johnny be good
Hound Dog

Memphis - June 10 1975
If You Love Me
Fairytale
Burning Love
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Little Darlin'

Memphis, July 5 1976:
And I Love You So
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
America, The Beautiful
One Night
That's All Right
Blue Christmas
Early Morning Rain
Love Letters
Hurt
It's Now Or Never

more than two hours of music without duplication of songs and a great
overview on elvis performing his hometown

if you like to change some selections on disc two you are free to speak !
what do you think about this ?

Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:15 pm

Michel -

Sounds like a pretty good idea !

By the way:

johnny be good

This song is: "Johnny B Goode"

Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:33 pm

my fingers are locked ! :lol:
you are right colin !

the right title is of course "johnny B goode"

Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:38 pm

I would like a release like this. :D

8)

Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:10 pm

here is a idea for a future FTD release ( a real winner !!!! )

the memphis live double cd !

disc 1 the full concert in memphis in remastered sound ( without ridiculous fake applause )

if possible mixed by a sound engineer who know something about how to
manage a live and rockin' show !!!

disc 2 "hometown highlights"

Memphis, March 16 1974
love me tender
johnny be good
Hound Dog

Memphis - June 10 1975
If You Love Me
Fairytale
Burning Love
T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Little Darlin'

Memphis, July 5 1976:
And I Love You So
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
America, The Beautiful
One Night
That's All Right
Blue Christmas
Early Morning Rain
Love Letters
Hurt
It's Now Or Never

more than two hours of music without duplication of songs and a great
overview on elvis performing his hometown

if you like to change some selections on disc two you are free to speak !
what do you think about this ?

Personally I have championed the re-release of the Memphis 20-3-1974 show: remastered, complete/unedited, for years! But I don't think if it eventually will come out, it will be a mix of prof. multitrack (20-3-74) and soundboard recordings (16/3/74 and the others you mention). Also many of us already possess these other SB concerts on DAE/Baxter releases etc.

So for those of us (the SB "completists" if you will), the 2nd disc wouldn't mean much; but I agree for the others it would be quite nice (though to my ears there IS a big difference in Elvis' voice between 1974-1976!) to get some of the Memphis highlights through the ('74-'76 concert) years.

Too bad BMG/RCA didn't prof. (on mutlitrack) record more march '74 songs except for the complete closing show in Elvis' home town.

I'm hopeful though we will get the Memphis 20/3/74 show like we should have years ago. It'll probably be one single disc. There is one problem: since this title was deleted by BMG from their regular catalogue, it will be a FTD release without liner notes! And that's a shame, because this show deserves decent liner notes + many actual 20/3/74 photos. A missed opportunity, though I would rather have it on FTD than not at all.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:28 pm

I’d settle for the March 20, 1974 show unedited and properly mixed. A point worth considering here about future FTD releases is that the soundtracks are being re-issued due to the catalogue being streamlined, and the idea behind these releases, is to make the deleted masters available to the fans. I don’t know what FTD’s plans are once the soundtracks have been covered, but as there are a number of additional albums that also fit into this category (including “Live On Stage In Memphis”), it’s just possible that they might also be given the same treatment as the soundtrack albums from FTD.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:29 pm

It's a great cd. I would definitly buying it. I have also the soundboard cd's wich you mentioned on cd 2. But I think it's a perfect place to give fans something who do not own the imports.

Probably BMG would never release those concerts again, because many people already have them on a import and are not buying it again.

LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:58 pm

Surely this album deserves a special FTD treatment, along the way the soundtracks are beeing presented. Along with the ON TOUR recordings, these are the better professional live recordings of Elvis on tour during the 70's.
I much prefer these before any soundboards, whatsoever!
Hopefully CLOSE UP with be the start of a run of ON TOUR material coming along!
No wonder Ernst and Roger are having problem with what to release next??

Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:09 am

I'd prefer this as a mainstream BMG release without the soundboard selections.
The complete unedited show deserves its own release.
My only concern about a re-mix of this show is how it's done.
I wasn't happy at all with AAITG. Apparently the tapes for that show had degraded over time which had an impact on the end result.

I really like how the Memphis show sounds as it was released by RCA in 1974 (aside from the additional crowd noise).
The mix is excellent and all aspects of each performance can be heard as a result of the superb mix by Larry Schapf and co.
I'm not interested in Elvis' live performances sounding like concerts from 2003 - this shows from 1974 and I hope a re-mix will be comparable to the original.