Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:54 pm

[quote="Prince Dragna"]I"J.D. Sumner - am I the only one who don´t care for his so-called singing? quote]

Prince Dragma - NO! You are not the only one who doesn't care for J.D. Sumner's singing!

He could do some great backing - especially in the studio - but in concert the guy is way out! I hate the cornball explosion that is the B 52 thing and when you next listen to a boot cd, chances are his dodgey singing will be too far forward in the mix.

For me, he kinda spoiled a lotta Elvis songs - particularily when he does that bloody awful drone/hum - it makes me start looking for a fly swot!

The best backing group Elvis had were the Imperials (69-71). Even the Jordanaires' bass singer (Ray Walker?) was too corny, eg Make Me Know It and quite a few others where it just sounds "off".

No to creaking frogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry!

Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:08 pm

A unusual choice for me (since I think that 72 was Elvis best post 1970 live show year), but I'll go with Memphis. My reasons: 1.) Elvis sings with a lot of enthusiasm. For the first time since 1970 he sounds really "into it" and energized (I think Elvis was on an upswing vocally from Dec. 73 thru May or June 74. The bored/indifferent/lazy sound was by & large absent from his voice during this period). 2.) Personally, I prefer songs such as I Got A Woman; Trying To Get To You; How Great Thou Art; Help Me; My Baby Left Me; Lawdy Miss Clawdy; and Let Me Be There over The Impossible Dream (his performance on MSG isn't as good it could be); Lovin' Feelin' (previously released in a superior live rendition on TTWII); Polk Salad Annie (these rush job versions may have been visually exciting, but they just don't come across on record as good as the 1970 versions); and Never Been To Spain (a terrible mix, Elvis is buried. Where's the power that's so evident in the On Tour version?). The one big plus for the MSG album is the super rendition of I Can't Stop Loving You - the single that should've been. By 1974 this one had gotten a little too slick sounding to my ears.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:18 pm

Andrew, nice to know I´m not alone in the "anti-J.D. Sumner club". Seems most fans like J.D. & The Stamps better than The Imperials - and I agree with you that The Imperials were a superior backing group. And those of you who disagree: listen to "When it´s my time" from College Park Sept. 28, 1974. Oh my God! :shock:
OK, I know we´re getting away from the subject a bit now... So while my vote is for the MSG-album, I must also say his singing is very good in Memphis, he sounds much better and happier here than on the "Aloha" concert.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:18 pm

Hey JD can be great, but Elvis seemed to really like his B52 impersonation a bit too much. They do need to put his track a bit farther back in the mix.

As for the 2 shows. I got the MSG show years back and it has been a standard on the phono and now on the CD. I just got SteamRoller Blues and its also an excellent show. Looking at it in a historical light MSG was a GREAT in a GREAT period in E's life. SB was a GREAT show at a GOOD time. I vote for SteamRoller Blues - Elvis gave more at this show than he had been giving in 74...

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:22 pm

However it’s important to stress that FTD is fully comitted to re-release the repertoire that is no longer available through retail, and there will be more of these re-releases by the end of the year and certainly next year as well. The CLASSIC album series is not limited to MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS.

source: Peter Haan

Those who have read some of my posts in the past on this and the previous mb, know how much for how long I want the Memphis show unedited/complete/remastered, so I won't go into it again here. But could this above statement imply we will finally get the Memphis concert by 2004?

30th Anniversary Edition? You gotta admit there will not be a better timing for it. And it's perfect for this "CLASSIC" album series at FTD.

Of course we should get the MSG e.s. set remastered + complete also! It may be a little rushed (or fast-paced) at times, but it's still a classic and rockin' show, that perfectly illustrates what Elvis was doing on stage in 1972. Plus it's one of a relative few prof. multitrack recordings done 1969-1977.

MY VOTE: first Memphis '74, then MSG '72 :)

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:42 pm

I had a feeling that re-issue of deleted titles on the FTD label wouldn’t stop at the soundtracks, and I agree that the 1974 Memphis show is an ideal candidate for a remixed (and complete) FTD release now that the title has been deleted from the mainstream catalogue.

My guess is that FTD will issue the deleted ‘70’s studio albums as originally issued, with bonus tracks, rather than compile the missing seventies masters on a two disc set.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:40 pm

I agree this will more than likely be the scenario. The 1975 album "Today" would also be a fine candidate for this Classic Album series. Remastered and completed with already released outtakes and previoulsy unreleased tracks it would make a nice FTD title.

Also: The complete Rapid City 21-6-77 show, portions of which were already released on Elvis in Concert LP/CD. It's not the best concert recording by far, but it is a multitrack recording (+ his last prof. recorded concert ever) and this original album on which these recordings appeared reached at least 4,5 million copies sold worldwide. It would make a nice FTD title as well, as Elvis was in good voice on songs like Hurt, You gave me a mountain, My Way, I really don't want to know, Trying to get to you and The Hawaiian Wedding song. And as far as the stopped "See see rider" is concerned, well...leave it in, it's Elvis so... :D

Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:36 pm

my pick: Memphis.

On MSG Elvis sounds somewhat rushed, Afternoon show is better of the two IMO.

complete unedited 74 show would be awesome!

Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:05 pm

I would go for the Memphis show.

But it could do with some remixing and editing. On top of that we naturally need the complete concert. Not a re-release of the existing CD.

Hope they can get rid of all that added applause, yells and whistles. The King doesn't need it and we don't need it!

Sonny