Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Madison or Memphis

Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:31 am

Ok this is it. Lay it all on the table. Which Show is your favorite? Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis or Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden.
Last edited by Blue-Gypsy on Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:42 am

Although I like Madison and it is an historical performance. It's Memphis for me. C'mon BMG give us the full concert. :D

:twisted:

Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:50 am

I grew up listening to the Memphis concert on an 8-track tape my Dad bought in '74. I love that show and was p!ssed to learn recently that performances were cut out and phony applause added. I feel duped and hornswoggled.

Yes, I want BMG to release the full show un-altered.

It's the only Elvis concert that contains a Grammy-nominated and Grammy-winning recorded performance.

It was a special event indeed.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:58 am

Graceland Gardener wrote: I feel duped and hornswoggled.

My dictionary doesn't have the word hornswoggled in it.
I wonder how it feels to be hornswoggled. Taken in the context of how it is written, I take it we should be sympathetic to your feelings. :wink:

A classic word... I'll have to keep that one in mind. :lol:

8)

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:15 am

i like the madsion show lot better show then the memphis 74.

curtis simpkins

Madison

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:18 am

I see. What show does Catman like the best?

Tony

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:22 am

both are great in there own unique way,,, but memphis is best for more to playa lot

Memphis 74

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:27 am

I agree Chris. I grew up listening to this album. And believe me I had every album to choose from out of my dads collection.

Tony

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:29 am

I believe the boot CD "Steamroller Blues" has the complete, unedited concert, in stereo even. Pretty cool to hear.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:04 am

You're right Mike, but I think a BMG release would be a little better in Quality.

8)

Memphis

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:09 am

I'm with you Sam. I still do not listen to Steamroller as much as I listen to Live On Stage. Their is a big sound difference.

Tony

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:10 am

It's a shame the didnt use it on the close up cd box set
the memphis show that is.

curtis simpkins

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:15 am

Maybe they're saving it for a 30th Anniversary. I hope so, A special 30th Anniversary edition. Maybe in next years box set even???

8)

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:24 am

Memphis.... less nerves for Elvis, more fun and the same power.... love this concert

Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:19 pm

memphis no doubt . the recording is way better ( drums particulary sounding great )
elvis is relaxed and music very powerfull
some selections are cool ( lawdy miss clawdy my babe left me )
and among others there is a incredible let me be there

madison is a very rushed show and the sound a little bit flat and "tiny"

but in both case it is high quality elvis stuff !

Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:34 pm

Mike,

The “Steamroller Blues” boot was a good release, and at the moment it’s the only disc available that includes the missing songs. However, the tape used for this release was either damaged or incomplete, and as a result of this some of the songs have been edited back into the show from the RCA recording (complete with fake applause) to make it complete. An official RCA/BMG release mixed from the original multi track tapes would better.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:13 pm

I voted for the Garden show, and I must say I’m surprised that it’s so far behind the Memphis performance vote wise. Many fans rightly want a remixed version of the 1974 Memphis concert, but I think it’s equally important that the MSG evening show is given the same treatment at some point.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:23 pm

For me the memphis show. I don't have the bootleg Steamroller blues and I would like to hear the entire show.

The Garden show I already have. And buying it again, just because of a better sound quality. Don't think so.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:30 pm

Is the vote supposed to be about which show we consider to be the best performance, or are we voting for what RCA should re-release?

Memhis

Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:14 pm

The vote is supposed to imply which is your favorite.

Tony

Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:47 pm

OK thanks,

I'll stand by original decision and go with the MSG show then.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:49 pm

I really like both shows. My favorite is the Madison Square Garden show. I've played it many times since 1972. I really hope they remaster this show also. Elvis is in great voice.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:06 pm

I vote for the MSG show - it´s so powerful. The sheer energy of it! What I don´t like about the Memphis show is that by that time Elvis concerts had started to become "J.D. Sumner shows" - am I the only one who don´t care for his so-called singing? And Voice as well - there were too many damn backing vocalists! :twisted:

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:15 pm

[jailhouserocker wrote
"memphis no doubt . the recording is way better ( drums particulary sounding great )
elvis is relaxed and music very powerfull
some selections are cool ( lawdy miss clawdy my babe left me )
and among others there is a incredible let me be there"

I agree entirely listening to it by chance on headphones this afternoon I was surprised by the quality of the sound . The selection is fairly good as only a couple of songs had previously been released live at the time
I got a woman (without amen) is great
The medleys do not sound contrived and a great version of American T to boot!!
It works both as a concept album (rethe closing vamp) and as a straight forward show .
I must add that the supposedely added applause is not a hindrance and adds to the excitement of the show.
I was surpridsed to hear how well Elvis sang in 74, which is considered by some as being past his selling date.
No need to say I would of course welcome an extended reissue ot this concert.

Regards

Dan

Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:52 pm

I have to vote for MSG. Actually, An Afternoon at the Garden is far superior to the evening show released in 1972.