Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Strictly Elvis-Rocky Barra

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:15 pm

Hi,

Just been reading 8 copies of Strictly Elvis and 8 of The Strictly Elvis Generation. Did anybody on here subscribe to this? What happened to Rocky and the couple who edited The Strictly Elvis Generation. I've also just bought most of the Elvis Monthly's from the 60's (already have all the 70s issues) and its fascinating reading stuff from when Elvis was alive and seeing what the fans thinking was on the Elvis world at that time

Trev

Strictly Elvis-Rocky Barra

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:24 pm

Also was interested to see an article from 75 by the guy who runs the Elvis World Japan site

Trev

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:14 am

Hi Trev,
I was a subscriber to Strictly Elvis and always felt that Rocky Barra was a nice man.He was even an artist,a singer and I traded a bit with him in the 70's.

Wonder what happened to him,because I have not heard about him since then.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:47 am

This Elvis fan club mag was the Elvis mag to have in the 60's and 70's....

It was a fan club magazine which really reminds me of "The Man and Music" infomation fan club magazine.

In my opinion it was well put together for the time way before the internet was available for information of course.

At times the magazine seemed a little white washed, but was certainly a little more interesting read then the Elvis monthly out of England at the time.

Rocky became a Minister or Pastor in the late 70's or early 80's and he has continued run his own Church to this day....

I spoke to Rocky approx. 4 or 5 years ago.... he had a few interesting Elvis stories to tell.

One was being invited to see and hear Elvis record....the other was Elvis coming back on stage after his performance to kinda scare Rocky a bit for fun during a 1970 performance in Vegas.....is what the story was or something like that.

Watching Elvis rehearse in Las Vegas.....

All in all a really nice guy.....he still keeps up on Elvis to a certain degree from what i remember his answer was.

But not like he did in the 60's or 70's of course.....but he is certainly still a fan.

Regarding the Bigelow's i believe Al Bigelow passed away a few years after Elvis did and then the magazine had a few short months or years after until it ended quietly into the sunset....

Hope that helps.

PEP 8)

Rocky Barra

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:04 am

Thanks for that reply. Rocky mentioned a lot in the 8 issues I read that fans should not worship Elvis, and he mentioned his beliefs a few times. Is he still involved in music at any level? I could never imagine my passion in Elvis diminshing on any level

Trev

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:59 am

Trevor1973 on the two occasions I spoke with Rocky he seemed to be content with the decision he made in his life as it was right for him.....

I didn't ask him about his music but my guess he would have still continued possiblly towards the religion direction with his music possiblly for his own Church.....

He did comment in a joking way he kinda wish that he wouldn't have given up all of his Elvis stuff which he had build up working with the Strictly Elvis magazine to the Bigleows,.....as he said he would have maybe been worth something today.....again he meant it as a joke...

All in all it was kinda neat to speak to Rocky since I as well thought he really did do a pretty good job for all concern in the Elvis World at the time.

He really seem to be on top of things back then and it was always a pleasure to get the magazine.

Ironic how he started to leave Elvis world before the sad ending......its almost as tho he knew what was going to happen.....but really didn't want to talk about so much in his magazine.

I have every issue Strictly put out except number 13......if anyone out there has a extra copy that they want to get rid just let me know.

PEP 8)

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:07 pm

Greetings. I ran into Rocky about about 3 years ago. I live in Canton, MI and went to his church for an event. I saw the name Rocky Barra and thought there could only be one Rocky Barra! I met up with him and sure enough! Although I was about 7 or 8 at the time, I was a subscriber to Strictly Elvis and still have the issues. Ironically, my good friend was married by Rocky and friends with his son. Small world!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:17 pm

This is a blast from the past...i also have some issues of this fine mag,and i agree,its great reading old monthlys when the main man was on the go.

Great tread.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:35 pm

I have an A4 sized autographed photo of Rocky Barra and his LP.
Did he not also put out a magazine called "Sticky Elvis" with lots of fun intended weird articles?

Rocky Barra

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:30 am

Hi Luuk,

Yes,he made one issue of Sticky Elvis which was full of irony and fun.
I have it in my collection but since I'm now about to leave for Oslo to see the Memphis Sessions 1969 band in concert,I'll have to wait until sometime next week to find it.

Rocky Barra's Strictly Elvis & "STICKY" Elvis

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:21 pm

Hello,
I am Jim Vanhollebeke and it was me who did the STICKY ELVIS books.
Sticky Elvis was a one time parody of my friend Rocky barra's Strictly Elvis magazine. We made 50 copies. Rocky loved it. It sold out. Second printing - sold out - then we did a second "Return of" issue and eventually sold the better part of a thousand copies. My inspiration, of course was Elvis' crazy sense of humor followed by Rocky's efforts and the style of MAD magazine.
Rocky and I still communicate and though he is quite busy as a preacher, he is still very much a closet-Elvis-nut!
I'm an Elvis Tribute Recording Artist and would like to invite you to visit our ELVIS TRIBUTE Audios and video at our "Canovanograms" website. Please check us out at http://www.Canovan.com/
We offer records, books and other art services geared to entertain you so please drop in!
best,
~jim
ForElvisFansOnly
jim@canovan.com