Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The 3rd Acetate - Ernst talks !

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:59 pm

Bad news for those of us hoping for a third Sun acetate on Ernst's forthcoming book & CD set:

Commenting on the 'Elvis by the Presleys' CD release:

"It Wouldn't Be the Same Without You" (1954) - "We don't have any unreleased [Sun] demos with Elvis," Jorgensen says, "but we have this one which was only used once. We wanted to show what Elvis sounded like before anybody, even Sam Phillips, knew him."

From the Elvis World Japan site.

So that's it, then.

Re: The 3rd Acetate - Ernst talks !

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:35 pm

ColinB wrote:Bad news for those of us hoping for a third Sun acetate on Ernst's forthcoming book & CD set:

Commenting on the 'Elvis by the Presleys' CD release:

"It Wouldn't Be the Same Without You" (1954) - "We don't have any unreleased [Sun] demos with Elvis," Jorgensen says, "but we have this one which was only used once. We wanted to show what Elvis sounded like before anybody, even Sam Phillips, knew him."

From the Elvis World Japan site.

So that's it, then.

It remains to be seen whether or not the Mempis Recording Service has anything for their SUN set this summer.

But the gut feeling says no, I guess...

Br
Kristian

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:24 pm

NIGHT TRAIN TO MEMPHIS.

(thought i would chuck that in the pot)

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:02 pm

It's not an acetate I thought we were getting on the Sun Box, but an unreleased recording (tape) ?

There are other actetates of live performances - not demos - so we may still be in for a surprise.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:16 pm

Steve M -

You wrote:
It's not an acetate I thought we were getting on the Sun Box, but an unreleased recording (tape) ?

Well, let's keep our fingers crossed !

Some of us, though, were hoping for that third acetate.

There was a flurry of speculation a while back, when a receipt with a new date turned up.

Then it went quiet.

So what song will it be, Steve ?

Tiger Man
Without You
Satisfied
Tennessee Saturday Night
Oakie Boogie
Trying To Get To You [1st attempt]
I Got A Woman
Uncle Pen
Juanita
Just Because [slow version]

Or none of the above ?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:30 pm

You missed out Little Mama

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:41 pm

Steve -

But Little Mama is an acetate !

And probably Uncle Pen is, too !

The rest are at least rumoured to be Sun Studio tracks.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:47 pm

I think all of this speculation about this 'Memphis Recording Service' boxset having an unreleased recording may be an overblown error in communication. This all started from an elvisnews post with details about the project, but if you'll look at Mr. Pirzada's official web-site for the project, http://www.elvismaster.com, there is no claim that it will have an unreleased recording. If ANYONE had an unreleased recording of Elvis from this era, and was trying to sell a project, it seems that an 'unreleased' recording would be a major selling point. So, I'm not anticipating anything unreleased from this project

HOWEVER, one major thing about this project that seems to have been overlooked for the most part is that Mr. Pirzada owns the mother stamper that pressed the original 'That's All Right' single. Consider this- the original singles of course, have the original 'dry' sound'. The mother stamper is the closest sound source to the original master tape that is known to exist.

If Mr. Pirzada were to use his stamper to press a 'That's All Right' on a much higher grade vinyl than the original records were pressed on, it would definately sound much better than anything that could be obtained from the old 45s and 78s. If you then took this new pressing and transferred it digitally to clean it up a bit, removing any pops and scratches, you could possibly get the best sound on 'That's All Right' we may ever hear.

That is what I am looking forward to in this project.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:20 pm

One thing the mother stamper will have suffered from over the years is corrosion, so it's not going to be as good as it was.
The best source that could exist today would be an unplayed 78 rpm.

Colin, I know Little Mama is an acetate, but that's not what Ernst refers to. Ernst refers to a "demo acetate" whereas I'm referring to a live performance acetate recording.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:36 pm

Steve -

I could have sworn your post referred to a tape.

But I stand corrected !

I see Ernst also states that the Takes 1-5 of Jailhouse Rock [4 of which are unreleased] will be in duophonic stereo !

I wonder how this differs from 'binaural' ?

Perhaps it's the same but they use the term 'binaural' for FTD's & 'duophonic stereo' for mainstream releases !

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:48 pm

Stand taller than that.

My post did include the word tape but in it's full contect it was:

(tape) ?

As in I was questioning another format as well.
As I understand it an umreleased recording on tape is on the sun Box, but in addition to that gem we cannot rule out an unreleased acetate because Ernst hasn't said no to that only to a demo acetate.

So we have possibly unreleased demo tape, unreleased studio session tape, unreleased live tape, unreleased live acetate, one, more, all, none - whatever.

All we know is no demo acetate - which is not a big thing if there's other alternative formats that we will get.
It is still a big thing if it is known to exist and we never get it. :cry:

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:29 am

Is this a valid theory? Assume that there is a 3rd acetate that someone wants to sell to the highest bidder. RCA/BMG has their usual budget and can only bid so high. So Mr. Pirzada comes up with more cash so the disc is his to sell just as long as the 50 year copyright expires. So his box set comes out in June. OK so far. So now, can Ernst just make a digital copy of the new material when it comes out in June and then include it in his box set next January?

Mr. Pirzada gets first chance to sell it in his box set, but Ernst gets it for free because the copyright is now in public domain, just like all those many hayride packages. Ernst includes it with the FTD box to make his complete, along with anything else that is rare/unreleased he may have.
Is this scenerio valid?

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:43 am

ekenee -

You wrote:
Is this scenerio valid?

Can't see any flaw in it !

Unless Ernst would be required to use a 50-year-old source, in which case, he wouldn't be able to use the Pizza CD !

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:28 am

He's not required under a court ruling to use the source - anyone can use a CD as the source now. Which makes it silly when you think of all the hard work Kevan Budd has done and it can be ripped legitimately in Europe now.

But why wait until January - that means anyone can make a box set of the Sun one then, might as well release it before the year is out and get some money for it before all the importers devalue it.