Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:36 am

Even when Elvis was at his biggest, he wasn't THAT big. He was just big for Elvis. When compared to the Elvis from 7 years earlier, he was heavy. Compared to Joe Blow out on the street, Elvis was still not a big man, even in 1977. It just seemed so because of all of the hype about his weight gain later on. Again he was just too big for Elvis and not the average person. I'm not fat by any means, but that Sundial suit might be pretty snug around the shoulders on me.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:49 am

He first wore that suit in 1974 in vegas,so maybe thats why it looks like that Carolyn.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:06 am

IMHO. I think Elvis, at his worst ('77), still looked better than most people I come in contact with in the real world today!!!

Not Kidding!!! :)

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:20 am

iamhekev wrote:He first wore that suit in 1974 in vegas,so maybe thats why it looks like that Carolyn.

Actually, it was Lake Tahoe in October 1974 but you had the right idea.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:26 am

Testing...

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:30 am

How many Sundial suits were there? In '77 Elvis definately had two that he used. There were certain minor differences between the two. Was there a totally different suit in '74? That would make at least three suits.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:53 am

There were two sundial suits. The first time they were worn was in October 1974. He didn't start wearing them again until February 1977.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:53 pm

If the one that is on display at Graceland is from 1974 and was not used by Elvis in 1977 then there are at least three different suits. In '77 Elvis had two suits that he used. The other one had two buttons on it's sleeves and the other one had three.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:36 pm

Rob wrote:There were two sundial suits. The first time they were worn was in October 1974. He didn't start wearing them again until February 1977.

Read carefully boys and girls. There wasn't a 1974 model of the sundial suit. The suits were made in 1974 and worn for a short time. They were put away until 1977 when he started wearing them again. There were two (2) sundial suits, and two only.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Rob,

I did read carefully your answer and I did get it. However, if the suit on display is small then it certainly isn't because of the fact that the suit comes from '74. After all Elvis did fit into it in '77.
Last edited by Marko on Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:11 pm

1974 = 2 suits...one has a button missing...God no"s why he wore it for so long...must have been sort of coin :roll:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:11 pm

I think the "two" Sundial suits thing is a myth.

There might have been alterations to the one to give the impression of two, but I'm sure there was just the one.

One of the differences is the buttons on the sleeve. As some point in 77 one of them came off and was lost, so the other sleeve had the same button removed to match.

I do have so more info on this but I've lost it, I'll try and find it again. :oops:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:20 pm

I do not believe that the difference in sizes would differ so much between October -74 and the end that it would be too visible just looking at the suits. As you know, in -77 he used the two from Oct. -74; Sundial and King of Spades, and Indian Feather from May -75, and finally Rainfall from Dec. -75.

If you look at the Alpine a.k.a Aztec from July -75, he also wore that in Tahoe in May -76 even if he was considerably bigger then. He also wore the Inca suit from summer -74 in Oct. 76.

I don't believe we are talking more than maybe 15-20 pounds in increased weight from Oct. 74 onwards. His belly got a little bit bigger, and his face swelled up, but other than that I really can't see much of a difference.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:01 pm

Steve_M wrote:I think the "two" Sundial suits thing is a myth.

Steve -
I believe that there were two different suits. I have a book somwhere that makes note of the fact that they had to hurry to get them cleaned between shows because he was rotating them every other day during his March 1977 tour. As stated earlier, the only difference was the buttons on the sleeves.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:30 pm

Rob, that's it! That's where the myth comes from. Was it Elvis - The Encyclopedia that said about the roatation and having to clean them between shows ?

Whichever book it was it wasn't true.

The photo documentation that has since surfaced and continues to do so, shows that the button thing didn't rotate. It was three for a period then down to two for the remaining period.

There were times the suit must have been cleaned and it is probably on the occasions he then wore the King of Spades suit instead.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:17 pm

There were some interesting posts about "the myth of the two Sundial suits" on the Elvis Presley in Concert forum (which isn´t on-line anymore, unfortunately), with picture evidence pointing to the fact that there only ever was one Sundial suit... Steve is right - if you look closely at photos from ´77, you´ll find he did not switch between a two-button suit and a three-button suit. In fact, the suit had three buttons (every day) until one of them came off in May ´77, and never was replaced! But surely the suit must have been cleaned every day? He only wore the King of Spades once in June and a couple of times in April... The smell would have been awful!
:wink:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:08 pm

The suit must have been cleaned after every show. Just look how much Elvis sweat on stage plus being white any dirt or stain would be easily visible not to mention the smell (although according to MM Elvis didn't pay much attention to his personal hygenia). I was one time allowed backstage during the famous London Elvis musical when it played in Helsinki and I watched them clean the replica of Aloha suit between the shows. The guy that was doing it remarked that the white suit was a nightmare to keep clean. They had to clean it after every show.
Last edited by Marko on Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:24 pm

How did he clean it, what did he appear to be doing to it ?

Logistics dictate that because of the schedule of touring that it couldn't be sent to a dry cleaners, so I'm guessing it was treated with an aerosol cleaning substance and whatever.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Just found an e-mail I got last July, knew I'd buried it somewhere, but this is a little more detail on the two suits concept I originally thought existed from a great guy called Leroy that knows too much about jumpsuits than is deemed safe:

Dear Steve,

You are not alone in your thinking. Most people think there are two different “Mexican Sundials”. Fact is that Elvis just worn this suit out until the very end and in between concerts the suit was dry cleaned. As an attachment you’ll find a 1977 picture. Look at his left arm, the cuff buttons on the inside. There are two and on the place a third one used to be there are two threads hanging. You might enlarge the picture to take a good look at it. Later on they removed one cuff button on each side to harmonize the looks. That’s one reason the rumour started about a second suit. The other reason is the fact that Elvis started to wear this suit day in day out. But like I said, the suit got dry cleaned, that’s a very quick way of cleaning. And I know for sure that’s the reason the cuff button came off.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm

Steve_M wrote:How did he clean it, what did he appear to be doing to it ?

Logistics dictate that because of the schedule of touring that it couldn't be sent to a dry cleaners, so I'm guessing it was treated with an aerosol cleaning substance and whatever.

Steve,

If I remember correctly they wiped it with some piece of cloth and used somekind of cleaning product. It might have been an aerosol like you mentioned. But they got rid of the stains and dirt which can't be avoided when one kneels on stage.