Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:21 am

Three hours passed. Back at Graceland, Elvis called Dick Grob, one of his
security men, and handed him a list of songs he decided to add to his
concert repertoire. He told Grob to locate the words and music and chord
changes for the new material so that he could brief the band before they
went on (and so he'd have the lyrics onstage in case he needed them). Grob
said that as he left the room, Elvis said, "We'll make this tour the best
ever."

This was from Jerry Hopkin's book from 1980. This is the first time that I've heard "official" (if that's what you wanna call it) word of songs actually being talked about.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:00 am

Ito Eats
Song Of the Shrimp
He's Your Uncle, Not Your Dad

Datin'
Yoga Is As Yoga Does
C-o-n-f-i-d-e-n-c-e

He was really going to rock the house on that next tour.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:00 pm

If true, the three songs likely were:

Way Down
Moody Blue
Pledging My Love

DJC

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:25 pm

I think I know of one of them, from Joes girlfriend Shirley Dieu, as Elvis had the sheet music next to his bed on the 16th.

I'll dig it up, but for anyone in the meantime that read her interview in Essential Elvis it's in there.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 pm

I recall reading The Fool was one of the tracks, as was Wolverton (? spelling) Mountain.
The Fool would have been interesting.
I don't recall where I read this information.
rick

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:03 pm

Two songs that have been mentioned are "Wabash Cannonball" (written by Roy Acuff) and "The Twelfth Of Never".

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:06 pm

From the Shirley Dieu interview:

(ref sitting on the beach in Hawaii 77) In one picture he's sticking his tongue in my ear, in another he is singing In The Misty Moonlight. He was actually going to record that song for me. I used to say to him "You know Elvis, you would sing that song so well, that song was made for you." and he would say, "You know, give me the music on that, I might wanna do it."
Here's the funny thing about it; he told me that h was going to record it, and he told Charlie [Hodge] to get the music. The night he passed away, the music was laying right next to his bed.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:32 pm

Personally, I don't believe this story. Elvis probably would've kept on truckin' with the same basic repertiore. At most he might have added Way Down to the shows.