Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

That Death Pic

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:32 pm

Seeing those 'mourners' jostling to get a photo of the dead Pope, made me wonder why we got so upset at that one pic that was snapped of our boy in similar circumstances.

Or is it that times have changed ?

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:40 pm

i don't know the answer to that question but i think it is a bit disrepectful.

they haven't even got proper cameras either. phone cameras where the image will be grainy anyway.

it just seems awful to go pay your respects to someone who has died and there are flashes going off all over the place.

I am surprised the people in charge allowed it to be honest.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:43 pm

I think times have changed Colin. You didn't have mobile phones back in '77 - let alone with cameras built in!

I often think how much better it would have been to have digital camcorders at the Elvis concerts. The cine film of past years was very restrictive. Now the DV tapes offer a near professional result. And the cameras can be secretly sneaked into venues, due to their tiny size.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:04 pm

ColinB wrote:

at that one pic that was snapped of our boy in similar circumstances.

There actually exist 2 different pictures of Elvis in his coffin. They do look very similar, but when you take a closer look you will see that they are different...I don't know how to post them on this forum...if you want me to show them here, please tell me how to...[/b][/quote]

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:10 pm

I thought only one picture came out right. The two pictures are the same one, but one has been airbrushed by the National Enquirer.

Very sad that Elvis's relatives would approach a newspaper and take them for a fee.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:23 pm

I always wonder why the images of Elvis in his coffin look more like drawings then real pictures. They look funny, very unreal.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:28 pm

Before the photos were used the NE decided they might get in hot water over it.

So one of their artists drew a sketch instead. This has appeared on the net a few times and most don't realise it was a sketch. IT wasn't that good, but good enough it seems to have many think it was a photo.

The other one is the touched up one - badly at that - round black circles for his nostrils made him look "piggish" - a real amateur hack job. Either that or the editor took it home and one of his kids started filling it in with felt tip pen when he wasn't looking.

well

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:31 pm

Well i read it somewhere that Elvis himself liked viewing Dead Bodies himself and often did this. do you think Elvis had his own instructions of how he wanted his body laid out and do you think that he wanted everyone to view him or would you think he would have wanted a closed casket ? the mind boggles

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:32 pm

Songman wrote:I can't believe it is Elvis in the coffin, he looks so young, like he did in the time from Flaming star & Wild in the country, verry strange

btw i hate those pictures :cry:

Geller just styled the hair in an earlier fashion that's all.

When I was at school a girl in our art class painted Elvis' face from the angle shown in the picture. She then mounted it in white silk. The effect was startling. It was a 3d image of the Elvis coffin photo.

She did the Soviet Premier Brezhnev in this manner and only did Elvis when she saw the effect worked.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:42 pm

I've never read that Elvis liked viewing dead bodies, that's a new one on me.

I know he became intrigued with the process of what happens in that he wanted to know for his own sake due to one of his relatives going through the procedure, and I've heard he visited on more than one accassion.

But I've never heard he actually liked viewing dead bodies. Where did that first surface ?

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:53 pm

Don't know about you guys, but I sure as hell have a morbid fascination with the 'coffin' photo's!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:58 pm

Elvis' coffin was indeed where you pointed it out re. in front of the music's room door.

FECC Team

MMmmm

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:11 pm

MMMmm well i think Larry Geller said Elvis used to visit dead bodies and so did Dee Presley in that rubbish book she wrote.

Re: MMmmm

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:22 pm

If Dee Presley said it, it must be true. :wink:

Didn't those morgue stories first appear in 'Elvis! What Happened?'

Hi

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:54 pm

Yeah, I remember Linda Thompson telling about their visit in the dead of night (pun intended) to a morgue, Elvis, Linda and Red roamed through the various rooms and Elvis kept lifting up sheets to look at the bodies and explaining the finer embalming techniques to Linda.
Some might prefer going to the movies :), Linda got almost sick to her stomach, so she said. But heck, a night out with Elvis never could be described as dull :wink:
Cheers
Simon

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:15 am

Steve_M wrote:The other one is the touched up one - badly at that - round black circles for his nostrils made him look "piggish" - a real amateur hack job. Either that or the editor took it home and one of his kids started filling it in with felt tip pen when he wasn't looking.

Useless piece of information # 463

The touch up was done by a British touch-up artist called Robert Stephens who moved to Florida in the early 70's and got a job with the Enquirer. He was regarded as one of the best 'touch-up' men in the business.

The original photo's are held at the former AMI building in Boca Raton. The same building that was the subject of the anthrax attack after 9/11. The photo's (along with 1000's of others) are currently being contaminated.The Sun photo editor who died from inhaling anthrax after the attack was the very same Robert Stephens.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:18 am

Thanks Del, but are you not sure his status wasn't anything to do with the sexual harassment claim ?

I'm sure he was the best, but I'd hate to see anyone elses work if he was.

I'm not convinced he did the blacking of the nostrils, that seemed totally out of place with the rest of the work on that pic and the other.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:22 am

I hoped he worked in tesco"s...i always hear him singing in there!!!

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:55 am

A friend of mine, has the whole Enq. picture in COLOR, yes it was shot in color, with almost the whole room on it, the piece used, is a crop of the original photo ... And I tell you, if you see this photo in color it get's a whole lot weirder ...

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:58 am

What are you waiting for Peter? Get posting..........

Re: That Death Pic

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:07 pm

ColinB wrote:Seeing those 'mourners' jostling to get a photo of the dead Pope, made me wonder why we got so upset at that one pic that was snapped of our boy in similar circumstances.

Do you know the meaning of <i>context</i>?

DJC

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:14 pm

Steve_M wrote:But I've never heard he actually liked viewing dead bodies. Where did that first surface ?

Elvis: What Happened? (Ballentine, 1977). Further discussed in Goldman's 1981 fantasy bio, and in 1995's Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia.

It wasn't a daily occurance, but Elvis did go to Memphis funeral homes on occasion, as he was fascinated by the process. Note that Sam Phillips worked in the industry for a short while before he got into radio and production work.

DJC

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:16 pm

Thanks Doc, I was aware he was fascinated by the process, but I'd never related that to him actually liking to view dead bodies, as if that was an aside to anything else relating to the process.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:32 pm

Attending a morgue ain't no big thing. My in-laws operate a funeral parlous and you sorta get used to it.
There are sometimes organised tours that pass through, although not to view bodies.
We'll all end up there one day, though hopefully not at age 42 (although I'm now closing in on 44, so I've at least passed that mark)
rick

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:45 pm

I remember watching some documentary on television about James Dean and he was also into visiting funeral homes and morgues.

STRANGE