Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:46 pm

I had considered purchasing this book myself, as I am greatly interested in Elvis' Sun recordings.

However, I read some postings on this site that cast some doubt as to the validity of this information, especially the notes attributed to Marion Keisker.

You may want to search on this forum using the title of the book to read some of the comments.

I have read in various sources over the years that Sam Phillips and Marion Keisker maintained notes on Elvis' sessions. Since both Sam and Marion are no longer living, there is no one alive to authenticate any session notes that surface (unless a family member has knowledge).

It is my hope that either Mr. Jorgensen or Mr. Pirzada (hope I spelled that correctly) have been able to authenticate some data for their to-be-released box sets.

Unfortunately, even if previously unknown recordings are identified in these sets, it would seem to me to be highly unlikely that they would see the light of day. Only fifteen tape boxes were handed over to RCA (most of which were allegedly tosssed into the dumpster in 1959), and Sam Phillips probably reused a lot of the session tapes to record other artists. So unless someone has a dub lying around somewhere (also unlikely), the possibility of finding anything new from the Sun days is pretty slim.

So I would find myself dissapointed and playing "what-if" if I bought this and read about the dozen or so unreleased songs that Elvis recorded at Sun that were subsequently taped over or lost. :cry:

Nonetheless, let me know what you think about the "Musical Inventory" book when you receive it. I may buy it anyway if I receive some positive feedback.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:57 pm

John -

If it's the book I'm thinking of [although the title doesn't ring a bell] then you have to take it with a large pinch of salt !

Marion revealed all she remembered about the sessions during her lifetime.

Scotty doesn't recall any titles that we don't already know.

And Sam wasn't one for making notes.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:28 pm

I got the book... it's a truckload of deleted - see guidelines #2.. don't waiste your time reading it

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:38 pm

Please don't offer to do reviews :lol:

Other than the so called "notes" was there anything else in the book which was subsequently new as information goes which has since been authenticated ?

I don't have it at all - I was told that there were other books I should invest in first, those being every other book ever written. :lol:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:02 am

Well the book offers a lot of info... a little too much... that is allready a first hint that it is all bullocks.

He gives the studio times and the amount of takes on all known and unknown Sun songs, great but not real.

Then there is the strange story about two men who nobody has ever heard of, that would have seen the notes of Marion Keisker. They were not allowed to photocopy it but they wrote down the info they saw... yeah, right...

Then he gives times and playlists for every gig Elvis, Scotty and Bill did... Have you ever heard Scotty keeping a diary about all the gigs they did?... Me neither, so again: bullocks!

The writer is someone no one knows, he is now actually dead, found drowned in the river the Sceine in Paris... Weird story but true, according to Trevor from Elvis The Man And His Music.

So, it is the same as with Joe Pizza :D , another attempt to get us all excited about nothing!

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:40 am

FWIW I got the book and thought it was pretty cool, but then I'm not one of those rabid Elvis fans who foams at the mouth at EP products that are *not quite right* (eg Sun recordings that are not on *official* BMG releases :twisted: ).

Whether the book contains research that has remained hidden for decades or whether it is an inspired work of fiction I couldn't say for sure, but being a huge fan of American music from the period in question - and that's ALL American music, not just Elvis - there was nothing in it that was *wrong*. It is probably just wishful thinking, but in retrospect it is the sort of detailed journal you would hope for the King of rock 'n' roll...it's just that you get the feeling that they wouldn't have made all that effort back then for a po' boy from Mississippi.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:35 am

I sussed it.

"Invent Story" became "Inventory" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:18 am

There is names of people in the back of the book that were giving credit for there help in the making of the book etc...some of them have said they had nothing to do with it.

More info and the best review yet...EMM - no 65 sep o4