Elvis Presley and Pope Paul II.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Elvis Presley and Pope Paul II.

Post by MauriceinIreland »

Elvis crops up in the most unexpected places sometimes. linking Elvis and Pope Paul II may cause a few sparks?

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=38&screen=news&news_id=40479

More newspapers may pick this story up.

http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200504/1112719715.html
Last edited by MauriceinIreland on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis-4-Ever

Post by Elvis-4-Ever »

[sarcastic]I thougt it was Pope Paul II.[/sarcastic]

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Elvis-4-Ever, Thanks, I'm always getting the ROMAN numerals wrong - so I give you V :-)

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

Should it not be Pope John Paul II :?: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by MB280E »

Only John Paul I´d care to read about is John Paul Jones, the bassist and keybordplayer in Led Zeppelin...!

Sincerely MB280E

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Any more of this and I'LL be "Crying in the Chapel".

OK, it's Pope John Paul II. Or.... for the pedants.... Karol Józef Wojtyła :-)

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Maurice -

By accident, the timing of Elvis' single means that everything is in place for it to be a massive hit.

Except the product.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Instead of requesting radio stations to just play it a request should have also been made to give out official links of where the song could be downloaded from - at least that way it'd get people used to downloading the current Elvis single and give Elvis a head start for when the downloads are included in the chart stats.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Steve -

Do you know, I haven't a clue how to download an Elvis track !

Well not by paying for it anyway !

But if thousands download Crying In The Chapel, it won't help its chart position by one iota.

Downloads aren't included in the UK singles chart [yet] !

Colin B

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

ColinB, Products have been known to be suddenly produced as if from nowhere:-)

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=elvis+pope&btnG=Search+News

May help the business challenged at BMG/RCA to make up their minds...anyone out there......anyone at all, at all?
Last edited by MauriceinIreland on Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

I know they wouldn't contribute to the chart just yet, but that's why I said it would get people used to using the downloads ready for when they are used for chart compilation.

Also, as you point out, you don't know where to go to officially download a track, yet if the link can be given for CITC then you would know before the downloads are used for chart stats where to go.

Colin, the thought of downloading tracks doesn't appeal to me, but then again when I first heard of CD's that thought also didn't appeal either :lol:

Having a piece of physical property in your hand is a visible indication of the money you spend, that's a hard concept to try and change on those of us who are of a generation(s) that are used to having something physical to look at and read as well as play.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Steve -

You wrote:
Colin, the thought of downloading tracks doesn't appeal to me, but then again when I first heard of CD's that thought also didn't appeal either
When CD's came in, I'd only just got used to flat records [you knew where you were with the wax cylinders].

When my computer was stolen recently, I lost around 2000 music tracks.

How much more peeved would I have been if I'd paid for them !

Ahh - but of course, having downloaded them, a CD should be made, so as to guard against losing the contents of the hard drive.

But wait, why not buy a CD in the first place !

D'oh !

You also wrote:
...those of us who are of a generation(s) that are used to having something physical to look at and read as well as play.
Yeah, but its that very generation which is most likely to buy Elvis singles.

Colin B

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

MauriceinIreland wrote:
OK, it's Pope John Paul II. Or.... for the pedants.... Karol Józef Wojtyła :-)
I dont think its pedantic to give him his proper Papal name, its just common courtesy :wink:

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Rusty, OK. I'm penitent. For whom the Bells toll.....

Meanwhile......

http://express-press-release.com/

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

[quote="MauriceinIreland"]Rusty, OK. I'm penitent. For whom the Bells toll.....

MC...if your going to show your intellect, at least get the quote right
its .....
Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. John Donne

:wink:

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Rusty Martin*, What happened to "No man is an island.."etc?

If you are going to correct me write out the full piece..I have it here in front of me:-)

[Devotions upon Emergent Occasions (1624), 'meditation', XV11]

Meanwhile, http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200504/1112719715.html

Rusty Martin*

Post by Rusty Martin* »

M.C....dont complain if I slow the site down...here you are...

XVII. MEDITATION.

PERCHANCE he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me, and see my state, may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that. The church is Catholic, universal, so are all her actions; all that she does belongs to all. When she baptizes a child, that action concerns me; for that child is thereby connected to that body which is my head too, and ingrafted into that body whereof I am a member. And when she buries a man, that action concerns me: all mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated; God employs several translators; some pieces are translated by age, some by sickness, some by war, some by justice; but God's hand is in every translation, and his hand shall bind up all our scattered leaves again for that library where every book shall lie open to one another. As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come, so this bell calls us all; but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness. There was a contention as far as a suit (in which both piety and dignity, religion and estimation, were mingled), which of the religious orders should ring to prayers first in the morning; and it was determined, that they should ring first that rose earliest. If we understand aright the dignity of this bell that tolls for our evening prayer, we would be glad to make it ours by rising early, in that application, that it might be ours as well as his, whose indeed it is. The bell doth toll for him that thinks it doth; and though it intermit again, yet from that minute that that occasion wrought upon him, he is united to God. Who casts not up his eye to the sun when it rises? but who takes off his eye from a comet when that breaks out? Who bends not his ear to any bell which upon any occasion rings? but who can remove it from that bell which is passing a piece of himself out of this world?

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee. Neither can we call this a begging of misery, or a borrowing of misery, as though we were not miserable enough of ourselves, but must fetch in more from the next house, in taking upon us the misery of our neighbours. Truly it were an excusable covetousness if we did, for affliction is a treasure, and scarce any man hath enough of it. No man hath affliction enough that is not matured and ripened by and made fit for God by that affliction. If a man carry treasure in bullion, or in a wedge of gold, and have none coined into current money, his treasure will not defray him as he travels. Tribulation is treasure in the nature of it, but it is not current money in the use of it, except we get nearer and nearer our home, heaven, by it. Another man may be sick too, and sick to death, and this affliction may lie in his bowels, as gold in a mine, and be of no use to him; but this bell, that tells me of his affliction, digs out and applies that gold to me: if by this consideration of another's danger I take mine own

The internet is a wonderful tool, if you know how to use it, and use it properly :wink:

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Rusty Martin*, I'm sure everyone enjoyed reading all that:-)

You say "The internet is a wonderful tool, if you know how to use it, and use it properly".

If that is your example of using the Internet properly Methinks I'll stick to my own very successful method, thankyou:-)

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Using the Internet to inform is fun, and rewarding.

http://press.xtvworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4893

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Rusty Martin* wrote:I dont think its pedantic to give him his proper Papal name, its just common courtesy
Give Maurice a break, Rusty. You can't please all of the papal all of the time.

Topic author
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

KHoots wrote: You can't please all of the papal all of the time.
Class!

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Hope you guys did your duty while you were here pontificating:-)

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Maurice is linking the King and the Pope.........I smell Bronze smelting!!!

Topic author
MauriceinIreland

Scatter, Many more smell opportunism, even I do. I'm ashamed to say:-(

Does the end justify the means? Maybe. There might be a huge Comet heading this way ...or even a lightning bolt:-)

Click the link for Elvis while your here.........please.

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

MauriceinIreland wrote:
Click the link for Elvis while your here.........please.
MAURICE!!!!!!!!PLEASE.......I barely know you :wink: