Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

DON'T JUST LOOK AT ELVIS BUT AT HIS FANS ( during the 50s ).

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:54 am

That will help you more then you can believe. The clothes that his fans wore are very telling.
He didn't have time to shop at every k-mart in every town that he played.
So don't count on that along ( but it helps ).
Look at the dresses,look at the hair styles, etc.
There is also the regional 'Southern look'. The beltbuckle over the left side pocket.
To most people the 50's look is all the same but it isn't.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:14 am

Were there K-Marts in the 1950's?

50's clothes styles,....

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:26 am

yeah, you are right,...but, the left side belt-buckle thing is a guitarist trick,..to keep his guitar from gettin' scratched up. Guitar players have been doing that with their belts since the 30's,....ie; old' jazz guitarist Django Rhienhart'. Mark.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:15 pm

Rob wrote:Were there K-Marts in the 1950's?

Figure of speaking.

Re: 50's clothes styles,....

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:17 pm

Mark Lee Pringle(ETA) wrote:yeah, you are right,...but, the left side belt-buckle thing is a guitarist trick,..to keep his guitar from gettin' scratched up. Guitar players have been doing that with their belts since the 30's,....ie; old' jazz guitarist Django Rhienhart'. Mark.

You're 100% about that. But alot of guys took that look up also.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:53 pm

Back in the 50´s the "left side belt buckle thing" also was a sign to show the girls you were available as in not going steady.

I don´t believe Elvis wore his belt on the left side in order to protect the back of his guitar but to show the girls that he was on the open market. I just went through all my 1950´s photos and I couldn´t find one single photo of Scotty Moore with his belt on the left side. And he certainly would have protected his guitar if any of those guys would. Elvis wears his belt on the left side quite a lot during this period.

Just my humble opinion.

Sincerely
Brian

belt-buckle on the left,...

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Brian, Wow!,..I didn't know that!?,...that's pretty cool. and, you are right,...you would think Scotty might have been more protective of his guitar than Elvis?,...HHMMMMmmm? pretty neat! Mark.