Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Trivia Quiz - No.873

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:58 pm

I know the run isn't over yet, but the Elvis singles re-issues have created a unique circumstance [chartwise] for our boy !

Something that happens so rarely, that in the 52 years that the UK chart has been published, there are only two previous examples !

So what was it ?

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:22 pm

Colin,

12 top 40 hits in the same year????

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:27 pm

Delboy -

Nope.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:18 pm

Hmmm...

Elvis has entered the Top Ten with 14 consecutive singles..?

Br
Kristian

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:24 pm

Kristian -

No.

That is surely unprecedented !

What I'm on about is unique for an Elvis single.

But it has happened just twice before to others.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:33 pm

ColinB wrote:Kristian -

No.

That is surely unprecedented !

What I'm on about is unique for an Elvis single.

But it has happened just twice before to others.

Those others, could that be The Beatles..?

Are we talking ancient chart history here for comparison, or recently achieved uniqueness?

Br
Kristian

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Kristian -

You wrote:
Those others, could that be The Beatles..?

Are we talking ancient chart history here for comparison, or recently achieved uniqueness?

Now, watch my lips:

Something happened in the chart with the recent Elvis releases which has never happened to an Elvis single before.

Looking at the chart over its 52 years, there are just two occasions when it occurred previously.

And yes, The Beatles are involved, both directly & indirectly !

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:52 pm

He knocked his own single off the number one spot? Previously done by The Beatles and John Lennon?

What do I win? :D

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:55 pm

Colin

Two consecutive #3 hits?

Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:06 pm

Delboy -

You wrote:
He knocked his own single off the number one spot? Previously done by The Beatles and John Lennon?

Yes !

I gave away too many clues didn't I ?

In December, 1963, The Beatles She Loves You was replaced at No.1 by their new single I Want to Hold Your Hand.

Similarly, in January, 1981, John Lennon's [Just Like] Starting Over was replaced at No.1 by his 'new' single Imagine.

Imagine was almost replaced by John's Woman but Phil Collin's In The Air Tonight forced John to No.2 [according to the NME chart] !

No prize [as such] but you win the respect of this MB, which is pretty much priceless.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:22 pm

Although not quite the same, I'm surprised that as President of his fan club (unofficial) and it's various off shoots, that you didn't give mention to the 1963 quirk in the charts, where Cliff Richard and The Shadows were knocked off the #1 spot by The Shadows who were then knocked off the #1 spot by the same Cliff Richard and The shadows song returning to #1.

Summer Holiday - 2 wks
Foot Tapper - 1 wk
Summer Holiday - 1 wk

Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:36 pm

Steve -

Well, we were discussing serious chart artists.

Not 5th league, Elvis wannabe, bible-thumping, rip-off merchants of dubious sexual persuasion.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:02 pm

I rated the Shadows quite highly. :wink:

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:46 am

Steve M -

You wrote:
I rated the Shadows quite highly.

So did I.

But I think you got my drift.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:00 am

Yeah, but originally I meant that the Shadows, not Cliff, managed to knock themselves off number 1 with a song that there were credited to.

Cliff didn't count in a way as it was the same song returning to number 1, though that feat coupled with the Shadows achievment did make that rather a unique occurance.