Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"I'M A ROUSTABOUT" BETTER SOUND...ALTERNATE SOURCE

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:27 pm

I was given a CDR last week which features, (among other things), a markedly better sounding copy of "I'm a roustabout". (Thanks, Sean!) And, it is so much better than what was on the BMG "Second to none" CD!
TONY DOBB

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:32 pm

Very interessting Tony.
Is this Version the one incl. in the UK BMG CDR Promo I'm a Roustabout Acetate Version?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:19 am

They played this track at the Graceland Plaza 2 weeks ago, and I thought how sharper than the 2nd to none version it sounded. By the time I'd found a speaker away from folks to listen proper, it'd finished.
I'm glad there is a better version out there. I wonder where it comes from?

Perchance could it have been taped from the radio station that plays in the plaza?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:24 am

Tony -

Interesting !

We got the song donkey's years after the session when they chased up one of the writers and he checked his cellar & turned up the acetate.

Don't say it was on tape all that time & nobody knew !!

Re: "I'M A ROUSTABOUT" BETTER SOUND...ALTERNATE SO

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:41 am

TONY wrote:I was given a CDR last week which features, (among other things), a markedly better sounding copy of "I'm a roustabout". (Thanks, Sean!) And, it is so much better than what was on the BMG "Second to none" CD!
TONY DOBB

Or it could just be someone else making CD's from MP3's from my web site. The better (Original Acetate) version has been on there since I opened the site a couple of months ago!

I'm A Roustabout - Original Acetate
Last edited by Keith F on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:41 am

The only improved source has to be from tape. BMG locates new tapes all the time, so it's hardly a surprise if it applies here. Since the track is out, it has less value to the owner of the reel, making negotiations easier.

DJC

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:57 am

Keith -

Well, the BMG released version was the 'original acetate' wasn't it ?

The one on your link doesn't sound like Elvis singing.

Confused ?

I am now.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:07 am

Doesn't sound like Elvis?

Is that a joke,Colin?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:24 am

ColinB wrote:Keith -

Well, the BMG released version was the 'original acetate' wasn't it ?

I don't know what it was that BMG released, but it certainly isn't any where near as good sound quality as the acetate I have on my site

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:34 am

I have the original acetate version. I just listened to it then compared it to the 2nd To None version. They both sound like the same source, but there is a definite difference in sound quality. To my ears it sounds like the 2nd to None version has a boosted top end making it sound shrill to the ears.

I think its the mastering that accounts for the differences in the sound between the two, not the source.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:45 am

Dan T -

You wrote:
Doesn't sound like Elvis?

Is that a joke,Colin?

Well, I wasn't joking this time !

Had another listen, I suppose it is Elvis.

Combination of it sounding very different from the BMG version & not being a song I'm very familiar with [comparatively speaking] must have led me astray.

So if they are both from the same 'original acetate' how come they sound so different ?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:52 am

I suppose it depends on which "Original Acetate" copy you have. It seems BMG didn't do a very good mastering job with the copy they got!

Not that they had to do anything with it in the first place, but obviously they tried to do something with it, with bad results!

Sound quality?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:42 am

Hey, this sounds as good as one can expect from a tape source even!

BMG, shame on you for issueing the 2nd To None verison :shock:

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:13 pm

Unbelievable !!! The difference is huge !! Especially when it’s taken from the same source, now I know why the Roustabout FTD takes so long, it’s is not the problem with finding the tapes, but mastering them ! What a bunch of amateurs ...

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:48 pm

Keith -

Here's a thought............

If we are going to have tracks sourced from acetates on Ernst's Sun set, let's hope the mastering sounds more like the one on your site, rather than 2nd to None !

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:59 pm

You're missing a MAJOR factor on the SUN Box compared to "Second To None"

Kevan Budd !

I'm sure they will be in the best possible sound on this set

ROUSTABOUT

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:13 am

Didn't realise this was already "out there". The difference is quite stark, but it is still from an acetate; you can hear the little scratches. As previously stated, this was obviously badly mastered at the time by BMG, OR WERE THEY INTENDING TO REISUE IT IN THIS BETTER SOUND SO WE HAVE TO BUY IT AGAIN?!

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:15 am

I can"t mind if it was this board,but keith put up an mp3? of both versions,with bits from each source (BMG/KF),joined to make it one song...the diffrence was amazing.

But since 2nd to none,some of the cds have come out in better mix etc,so i hope the ROUSTABOUT ftd gets the good treatment...like viva las vegas?.