Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Will we see the Hound Dog Alt Takes surface in 2006?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:39 pm

Do you think someone is just sitting on these and the other missing song takes from this session, waiting for the rights to expire? Would they be able to release these takes like the Memphis Recording Service Lable is releasing the Sun Box set?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:00 pm

Wouldn't be until Jan 1st 1957 legally if they are.

Because they haven't released them before means that they probably didn't own the medium the recordings are on. That still doesn't change.

After all, the publishing rights of the songs remain intact either way.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:32 pm

Only time will tell.
But I am sure that sooner or later we will hear an alt. Take of Hound Dog :D

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:38 pm

Rock King -

I don't think we'll ever get the Hound Dog early takes.

If someone is sitting on them, the 'optimum' time to sell them has passed.

Can't believe that they are waiting for them to be out of copyright.

The only chance is that they are in the possession of the widow of a deceased ex-RCA audio engineer.

She is thinking "I have all these safety copies Fred brought home, one day I really must call RCA and arrange to give them back" !

Well, I can dream, can't I ?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:02 am

I don't think we will ever see any outtakes of hound dog....if they did exist we surely would have heard about them by now...The idea that some widow might discover some old reels in the stuff of her dead husband is a nice thought, but nothing more than that...of course the widow would have known about the existance of these tapes...furthermore, if one has such rare material it's difficult to prevent the rest of the world knowing about it...on the other hand I do not think anyone would want this to remain a secret...okay, maybe some guys stole the original tapes and does know want to get caught for his act, but then there is a lot of money to be made with a bootleg cd... forget it...hound dog is a nice dream, no outtakes are ever going to be found

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:27 am

Hound Dog Fools Day :lol:

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:14 am

Love me tender in stereo...no that wont be true

Jailhouse rock in stereo....no that wont be true

Kev not eating "sweeties" anymore...dam lie"s.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:29 pm

I think they could be found, but I doubt they will.

I don't think they got into the wrong hands or anythng too sinister, more likely something simple like getting labelled wrongly at Iron Mountain or something way back in 56.

Some worker who was coming up for retirement and who hadn't heard much since Glenn Millers last 78 rpm probably wrote Alvin Parsley on the box and there it's sat ever since.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:19 pm

When I was in Nashville several years ago I met a person that seemed very knowledgable of Elvis. He had told me of the "A Hundred Years From Now" tape a year or longer before it's first release. And some other things to look for that came to pass. I asked him what he knew about the "Hound Dog" masters; He told me that they do exist but that it is not clear who has them. He says they were in the RCA vaults and that during Joan Deary's reign they were checked out and never returned. He noted that several master tapes disappeared during this time. Hopefully, one day they will turn up. I never really questioned how he exactly knew this but it seemed very logical at the time and he knew so much about unreleased material that BMG/RCA would be releasing over the next 1-2 years. I believe that they do still exist and I will not be surprised if they do surface. I really hope they do. I hope Elvis recorded what I call the "Bump and grind version" of Hound Dog in the studio like he performed it on the Milton Berle Show. I would love to hear these alternate takes. If they do exist I hope they aren't somewhere where noone knows what they have.