Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Guitar man" without Jerry Reed

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:24 pm

In September 1967, when Elvis decided to record Jerry Reed's "Guitar Man", Elvis tried to get the record down for some time with his usual band without success. Eventually, he decided to get Reed himself to play on the record. Were any of these early takes without Reed put on tape and if so did they survive? To my knowledge every officially released take has featured Reed.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:29 pm

I don't think the early attempts were takes as such as opposed to "try outs".
Sometimes try outs were recorded, but more by accident than default.

Interesting question though- would be strange to hear if the intro was totally different.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:29 pm

Ltb -

I always imagined that they just rehearsed the song before the tapes were rolling.

They soon realised they would need Jerry to get the sound right !

'Guitar Man' without Jerry's picking would be like fish 'n' chips without vinegar !

But it would be interesting to hear those early attempts.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:00 pm

Steve_M wrote:I don't think the early attempts were takes as such as opposed to "try outs".
Sometimes try outs were recorded, but more by accident than default.

Interesting question though- would be strange to hear if the intro was totally different.


How do the engineers record something "by accident"?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:22 pm

Spelly,

Something occurs by accident because it was without intent.

You might drive into the back of someone in your car, not because you wanted to but because you didn't brake in time. The intent wasn't there to drive into the back of them - thus it is an accident.

The engineers might not have meant to have left the tape running still from the last song, but without intending to they are then recording the try outs of the next song. Because it wasn't their intention to record the tryouts they never-the-less did so by accident.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:41 pm

Steve -

That Spelly can be a bit slow at times, can't he ?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:14 pm

quote]

Colin wrote That Spelly can be a bit slow at times, can't he ?[

[/quote]

..do you mean when he is backing up ? he only thinks he never had an accident -but his elders know better.

BTW What does Fish and chips taste like -without the vinegar? :D

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:22 pm

jbgude _

You wrote:
BTW What does Fish and chips taste like -without the vinegar?


I wouldn't know.

You asked the wrong person - I smother nearly everything with vinegar !

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:53 pm

ColinB wrote:Steve -

That Spelly can be a bit slow at times, can't he ?


I thought he was quite quick to ask. :lol:

Note that Mr Spellbinder never said he asked in order to gain knowledge.

He was probably just testing me to make sure I knew the bare minimum. :wink:

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:56 am

ColinB wrote: I smother nearly everything with vinegar !


No wonder your wife left you! ;-) Only kidding mate.

I prefer my fish and chips like my women - naked!

Andrew

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:02 am

I've never had a woman that tasted of chips, but the fi.....no, I can't go there.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:19 am

fish and chips with vinagar yuck.
i like e'm plain thank you.
like i like my tea cold with sugar and no milk.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:17 am

I prefer my fish and chips like my women - naked!

Andrew
[/quote]

I prefer my women like I prefer my coffee.........in BIG cups :wink:

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Oh, you like a milky coffee......

Re: "Guitar man" without Jerry Reed

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:41 am

likethebike wrote:In September 1967, when Elvis decided to record Jerry Reed's "Guitar Man", Elvis tried to get the record down for some time with his usual band without success. Eventually, he decided to get Reed himself to play on the record. Were any of these early takes without Reed put on tape and if so did they survive? To my knowledge every officially released take has featured Reed.


In an interview, I think on this site, Ernst said that no takes of the pre-Reed version exist, becasue the tapes were never turned on. It would be neat to hear, but I think they have found all of the tapes from that session.

Re: "Guitar man" without Jerry Reed

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:22 am

likethebike wrote:Were any of these early takes without Reed put on tape


None of these attempts are on tape.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:03 am

Thanks for that. Now who lets loose that wicked scream at the end of the full length version?

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 am

That was Colonel Parker.

In the rush to get Jerry Playing he forgot to get him to sign over 110% of anything he earn't from the recording of Elvis singing it.