Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:01 am

Brock wrote:I thought the enmeshment concept with Gladys was pretty much spot-on. Simply put, she smothered Elvis from the time he was in the cradle until she died. He was an emotional cripple, thanks largely to dyfunctional relations with his mother and family.

I've been thinking that Bill Burk's research and Bobbie Ann Mason's interpretation really pulled away from that theory (in ways that made sense to me). There are others as well however not on the tip of the tongue right now.

Eileen

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I’ve only read excerpts from the book being discussed, but isn’t the premise that Gladys was an emotional wet blanket straight from the Goldman book? The portrayal of her in “Revelations from the Memphis Mafia” is the most enlightening of what I've read so far, and the one that rings true for me.

Overall, I think she did a damned good job considering how well Elvis conducted himself in public compared with others who have come from further up the social scale.

Put yourself in her shoes for a minute. She had a child who was widely viewed by his contemporaries as an oddball who had no friends, wore weird clothes, and who spent the majority of his time alone with his guitar enduring jibes from other kids. School must have been hell. Is it any wonder that Gladys was protective of her kid?

She doesn’t get enough credit for the things she did right imo.