Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:22 pm

Possibly another shot from this date:

Any clues from either of these pics Brian ?
Would you say that this one and Keiths were from the same date ?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:32 pm

Steve, I'm not sure about Keith's image, but yours is an Al Wertheimer shot on the train headed from NY to Memphis, July 3, 1956. It was published in Elvis '56 (1979), if I recall correctly.

DJC

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:42 pm

Thanks Doc, the reason I posted it was because of the white shirt - white tie combination.

It's one of those things where I think that it's unusual only to then discover I've seen loads and never realised it.

Also noticed that Elvis' sidies are significantly different.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:55 pm

On the footage we discuss Elvis isn´t wearing an ordinary white shirt. It´s a very shiny shirt and it´s pictured in my own "The Atomic Powered Singer" as well as in Ger Rijff´s "Growing Up With The Memphis Flash" where Kay Wheeler describes it as being "a brilliantly shimmering, mandarin-collared, baby-blue satin shirt"

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:10 pm

Depending on how the photos are taken Brian, will we necessarily be able to tell that pictorially from an ordinary white shirt ?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Not really sure I understand what you mean Steve but in the second where Elvis enters the stage you´ll see that it is a "shimmering" shirt rather than an ordinary white shirt.

Incidentally, it looks like Elvis is wearing the exact clothes as in San Diego on April 4, 1956. As you´ll see in the Milton Berle show from April 3rd Scotty and Bill also wear the same shirts as in the footage discussed.

In the first seconds of the audience you´ll notice some Hispanic-looking fans and in the last second of the first clip you´ll see a marine guarding Elvis from the audience along with a policeman. Well, that all fits in very well with San Diego.

What other event would be more suited to film than Elvis´ first California gig??

Searched the Internet for photos from the first San Diego Arena but couldn´t come up with any. A new Arena was build sometime in the 1960´s I think it was.

Sincerely
Brian

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:17 pm

Excellent Brian.

San Diego, California. Hmmm.....could this be Hollywoods record of Elvis doing his natural thing without the glare of TV critics, a few days after his screen test ?

Maybe not, but where's the rest of the footage anyway ?

Where and when did this first come to light since it was filmed ? Keith, what was the video called ?

Question, questions.......I've never got any answers though :oops:

Brian, it's going to be easier to work and focus on one logical date, whether to finally confirm or eliminate it.

Where's Ger ? Do you have any photos from this date Ger ?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:39 pm

This is a newspaper clipping from April 6 1956 regarding two shows Elvis did in San Diego on April 4th and 5th - Source: "Long Lonely Highway" by Ger Rijff

It's a poor photograph but it does show what he was wearing at the show on the 5th, and it doesn't appear to be a white tie. So Brian could be right with his assumption that it's from April 4th

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:46 pm

And the good thing about my initial letters being K something R S, there was a station called KURS in San Diego.

Good find Keith.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:08 am

bripet56 wrote:Tried to read the letters off my DVD but still can´t tell for sure. The first letter could be K, V, X or Y. second letter C, E, T or I. third letter almost certainly an R and last letter S, D or B. Any suggestions??

This is a shot in the dark!

Maybe it's an advertising banner, and nothing to do with a radio station or anything! Could it in fact be spelling something like "XTRA" and advertising cigarettes?

bripet56 wrote:Steve, if you look at all the on stage photos that you have from Las Vegas in April ´56 and forward I´m sure you´ll soon discover that in no one you´ll find Scotty, Bill or D.J wearing shirts only. In all the photos you´ll see they wear jackets too.

At least I can´t find one single photo without them wearing jackets on stage after April 21, 1956.

That´s another major reason I believe the footage is from prior to Las Vegas. And those shirts they wear in the footage wasn´t worn during other periods than mid-February thru April 21st, 1956.

bripet56 wrote:I still believe that the most information about the footage comes from the shirts that Scotty, Bill and D.J. wear. They were only used from mid-February thru April 21, 1956

bripet56 wrote:Focus guys, Focus.

The shirts Scotty, Bill and D.J. wear were ONLY worn from Mid February thru April 21, 1956.

We have NO other photos indicating that they were worn at ANY other period

More pictures from "Long Lonely Highway"

These pictures are tagged along with an article about Jacksonville, August 10 1956, and look what Scotty & Bill are wearing! I actually don't think these pictures are from the Florida Theatre, Jacksonville, they look more like as though they are from a school gym. But can anyone date them?

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:25 am

This is an article from October 12 1956 about Elvis' performance at the Cotton Bowl, Dallas the day before. Look at the top picture, Scotty is wearing that shirt!

The other picture is definately from October 11th, but when is the other from?

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:42 am

If someone's already explained this pic ----

forgive me for explaining too.

"Phillip Morris Employees Night"
The Mosque Theatre, Richmod Virginia

Tuesday Night - November 29, 1955

this was his 2nd appearance after signing RCA contract.
(third, if you count a Hayride that past weekend)

this, just 2 days before he went to NYC (12-1-55) and was
photographed by RCA: shaking hands with Eddy Arnold;
and the microphone pic that appears on Close-Up cover;
and those pics on backcover of debut LP.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:57 am

Sorry Aaron, I wasn't wanting an explanation of this picture, I know where it's from.

The reason I posted it was to show that advertising was being done for cigarettes at Elvis' concerts, trying to find out what the banner is in the footage I posted.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:50 am

Are you sure the photographer hadn't placed his cigarettes on the edge of the stage just before taking the photo ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith, the banner, seems a bad word in a way but I can't think of something more apt to call it, was in the style of a moto - badge - emblem thing.

It appears to have the frilly bits and stuff to go with it.
But, this would i suppose be a way o advertising in the "traditional" manner of things, so maybe.

Never say never especially if you think you've heard otherwise before about Elvis.

Excellent work Keith, thanks for digging all this info up, all of it is still great to see even if we can't logically fit it into the direct path of the footage it gives us that surrounding context that was Elvis in 56.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:16 pm

Hi again. Back from my short visit to Denmark and you guys have been busy here. So let´s get down to business right away :D

Keith: the article from the San Diego show you posted is what I am referring to. The tie just looks different in this bad qualitypic. I have three backstage photos in super clear quality. In fact, Elvis doesn´t wear a tie on that pic, neither did he wear a tie on the live-footage. It´s the shimmering shirt that makes it look like he wears a tie in some of the pics lifted from the footage.

Keith: the Philip Morris photos are NOT from Richmond. They are from the Rialto Theatre in Louisville, Ky on December 8, 1956. I have three onstage photos in super quality.

Keith: the other pics (the ones where you can read "NORTH" above Elvis) are from Lexington, NC on March 21, 1956.

Keith: the top photo from the Dallas paper in October is NOT from the Octobe show. Although I ca´n´t say where or when it was taken I am positive is was shot prior to April 21, 1956. Most likely from the Texas-tour of April 56.

Were there cigarettes called "XTRA" I have looked over and over at those letters and XTRA is what I get back to most of the time.

Well, hope I could be of any help in this matter.

Like it´s said in other threads. It´s very giving and interesting topics and I am glad I came aboard at this time to be able to discuss and (maybe) help sort out a few things in our discussions.

Sincerely
Brian

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:21 pm

Thank you for your reply Brian, and what a reply! Dates & locations, exactly what we're looking for.

Do you have backstage pictures you can post, from San Diego? or maybe Steve or I could post them for you. I would love to see if the shirt is the same as the one in the footage, like you say.

I'm not sure if any cigarettes were called "Xtra". I just thought it could be an advertising term for maybe "Extra Strength" (Cigarettes or maybe Liquor) and nothing to do with the actual location of the footage.

Has anyone asked Ernst if he knows where and when this footage is from?

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:28 pm

I've not asked Ernst, Keith, and for the time being I won't coz I know the man is stuck just trying to cope with 1955 stuff without trying to add bits of 56 on as well. :lol:

I'm still a bit staggered by Brian saying Elvis isn't wearing a tie in the footage and that it is the effect of the "shimmering shirt". I keep playing it back over and over and I still think I see a shirt, but ask me to find a frame where I can show this is so and I can't.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:32 pm

Steve, did you get my mail with quality copy of the photo where Elvis signs a girls arm.

Sincerely
Brian

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:37 pm

Oh bugger, yes I did Brian, thanks.
I uploaded the pic to post in here and then never posted it in here. :oops:

Have to go find the url for it. I'll post it shortly :wink:

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:50 pm

Keith F wrote:Brian:

The footage on the two DVD's you mention both stop with the camera panning out into the audience from the angle shown in the first three screen captures below:-

But the footage I have has an extra few seconds of footage from a different angle

And it would seem that the complete footage hasn't been released on any DVD yet! This is getting interesting now!

Have any of you ever notice that there is a colored girl in this footage.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:59 pm

No, I hadnt, but I wouldn't notice that normally, I see there are white girls now I do look as well :wink:

Are you thinking along the lines of some king of segregation would have been in place in those days for a show like this ?

Very interesting coincidence if you are, but please elaborate further RBman.

This is the pic Brian mailed me, and I've blown the collar up as well. Is that some kind of oriental symbol Brian ?

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:39 am

Not one single picture or video footage here is from the '56 show in San Diego. Keep in mind that I am talking only about this show.
Wanna see what Elvis looked like that day etc. - then buy the cd, Glen Glenn Rocks on Bear Family.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:43 am

Steve_M wrote:No, I hadnt, but I wouldn't notice that normally, I see there are white girls now I do look as well :wink:

Are you thinking along the lines of some king of segregation would have been in place in those days for a show like this ?

Very interesting coincidence if you are, but please elaborate further RBman.

This is the pic Brian mailed me, and I've blown the collar up as well. Is that some kind of oriental symbol Brian ?

Just saying that this footage isn't from the South - thats for sure.
But it's not from the San Diego show either.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:54 am

ROCKABILLY MAN wrote:Not one single picture or video footage here is from the '56 show in San Diego. Keep in mind that I am talking only about this show.
Wanna see what Elvis looked like that day etc. - then buy the cd, Glen Glenn Rocks on Bear Family.

Well I don't know where to get that, but that's okay, if you say he looked different that day I'll take your word for it.

Not really sure where that leaves us.

Brian, any other ideas ?

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:18 am

I am telling you the truth Steve - I am not out to make anybody here look bad.
Get that cd. great pictures and killer rockabilly - what more can you ask for.
If you want his number I'll send it to you and you can talk with him. He'll tell you some good stories. He has alot of still un-published pictures of him with Elvis.

About that footage, I bet its from a mid-west gig.