Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

no bobcat reel tape will be used in the sunbox

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:21 am

hi guys

i'm sorry, but the word is that this tape will not be available for the sun box set.
There was no request at all from rca side from not any person.

Elvis fans may want this to have but it works on 2 ways not only one way.

Also there is found a small scotch reel tape LL150, this contains interviews with Sam/Elvis and some others from Sun this will be also not available anymore.

But who knows !!!! Maybe after Jan. 2006 someone brings it out.

liveshowtrader :(

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:13 am

This thread is way to cloak and dagger for me :lol: it's like a James Bond movie :shock:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:24 am

Leighd -

Yeah, I gave up a few posts back !

To these tired, shot, old ears, Elvis At Sun sounds about as good as we really need !

Any improvements on that would only be appreciated by dogs or Steve Sholes' diagnostic equipment.

Any 'new' Sun tape will only be of interest [to me] if it has different songs or takes on it.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:31 am

LiveShowTrader,

I don't think anyone approached the current holder of these tapes because they didn't know who has them.

I don't have them so they haven't approached me.

No one in this thread is claiming they have them so no one will have approached anyone in this thread.

You get my drift ? I think you need to be a little more clearer and possibly not do it publically but ask directly - or ask someone to make an enquiry on your behalf. :wink:

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:08 am

if you know who has said tapes tell them to personally contact kevan.they need these for the box set it's time people .quit holding back please.
if the tape is 50+yrs old it needs to be transfered before it detorates to unplayable cont.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:11 am

my friend knew the guy that had bopcat in the 70s.
said he had severial sun tapes of different artists but sold them.
if the reel can't be used they can use the orignal bopcat lp and clean up the pops.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:35 pm

It any better tapes/other tapes still exist they should be used now. The next time we get a Sun compilation there won't be any original tapes worth using. So if someone is holding on to tapes from this era they should let Ernst know about them as soon as possible. What do they think they are doing? They are really not doing Elvis a favor by letting important material get destroyed and unheard.

They got tapes they probably cannot listen to without destroying them. They won't even let anyone know about it so what's the idea. If they gave/sold the material to Ernst they would also benefit from it by being able to listen to it in the best possible sound quality.

I think that everyone here who has friends or know someone that has Elvis material should encourage them or help them to do the right thing and contact Ernst about it. If non Elvis fans have material in their hands and not even caring about it ... Well I don't know what to say it gets me upset. Every real Elvis fan should be eager to share with the World instead of making sure that historical material is destroyed.

They better sources we have preserved now the better results future technicues for enhancing the material will have. It may sound OK today but in the future when we get better audio systems a small difference in the sources may mean a lot for creating something sounding even more authentic.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:14 pm

This is it for a Sun box. After this one there won't be another.

Now or Never, though I fear it maybe too late already.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:17 pm

c'mon collectors it's time you listen to us let them restore tapes to digital sources or you won't have nothing to listen to in the future.
quit holding out money isn't that important its just paper elvis tapes are more important than money.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:22 pm

We know that Ernst has recovered one of the tapes found on the Bopcat release. This is the tape containing the two false starts and the master of "I Don't Care (If the Sun Don't Shine)." It first saw release on Sunrise, though there was a noticable tape dropout during Scotty's second solo, which Kevan Budd did a great job repairing on the Elvis at Sun release.

The only other tape(s) missing is/are the one(s) with the "Blue Moon of Kentucky" outtake and the short fasle start of "I'll Never Let You Go Little Darlin'." Maybe Ernst has these back and will release it?

When the Sun boxset is released, I hope the "Blue Moon of Kentucky" outtake is released in its entirety. What I mean by this is that every RCA release fades the outtake as Elvis and the Boys are laughing at Sam Phillips' comment: "That's a pop song nearly about." On the Bopcat release, you can hear Sam follow the laugh with his "That's gooood." The coversation continued with Scotty and Bill kidding Elvis for sounding slightly too black. On the RCA release, this is always the front end of "I'll Never Let You Go" outtake. Thanks, Ernst.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:48 pm

Mike C wrote:The coversation continued with Scotty and Bill kidding Elvis for sounding slightly too black.

The current wisdom is that this segment is not from a Presley session.

DJC

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:The coversation continued with Scotty and Bill kidding Elvis for sounding slightly too black.

The current wisdom is that this segment is not from a Presley session.

DJC

Thanks, Doc. To my ears, it sure sounds like its Elvis, Scotty and Bill. What session is it believed to be from?

Also, what do you think of my idea for Blue Moon of KY on the next release?

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:33 pm

Mike C wrote:What session is it believed to be from?

Possibly Warren Smith.

Mike C wrote:Also, what do you think of my idea for Blue Moon of KY on the next release?

It is an excellent idea.

DJC

Re: no bobcat reel tape will be used in the sunbox

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:18 am

liveshowtrader wrote:luuk,the former guy who has that tape in the 70's sold it in the 80's so it is in other hands (but it is in the hands of an elvis fan now)

If you are referring to CK, who licensed the Bopcat tapes to RCA in 1984, the above is not correct. These tapes were not sold in the 80's. In fact , it was not until the mid -late 90's when CK was interested to sell these tapes to BMG.
liveshowtrader wrote:hi guys, i'm sorry, but the word is that this tape will not be available for the sun box set. There was no request at all from rca side from not any person.

Again this is not true. This could be correct if a reliable source offered the master tapes to BMG, however that was not the case.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:31 am

Well somethings gone adrift here, unless there's two lots of tapes.

Liveshowtrader would now from what he has told me as to when the tapes were sold.

Liveshowtrader, you'll have to participate in this thread some more as it is difficult for many to read between the covert lines you are writing.