Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Vegas box set, disc 4: A SHAME...

Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:36 pm

I think disc 4 of live in las vegas box set is not good enough.
I think they made a big mistake when they choose the tracklisting. Sure there are 5 or 6 songs to replace that could have given the box another profile....more rock.
there could have been two tracklisting for sure better than the one released:
tracklisting 1:
heartbreak hotel
long tall sally
blue suede shoes
money honey
promised land
it's midnight
if you talk in your sleep
i'm leavin'
spanish eyes (instead of why me lord)
help me
fever (instead of softly as I leave you)
my baby left me
it's now or never
hawaiian wedding song
trying to get to you
green, green grass of home
you're the reason I'm leaving
big boss man
burning love
my boy
fairytale (instead of the boring.. and i love you so)
help me make it through the night (instead of just pretend as we already have it on disc 2.....and better version)
mystery train/tiger man (this WAS a great vegas number and had to be in the box....because it's not repeated on the other three discs and to show that elvis was still rockin' on late 70's)
america the beautifull

tracklisting 2: here we could have skiped the vegas show from '56 as was already released on the box the king of rock n roll and focuse in more great 70's performances.

down in the alley
good time charlies got the blues
promised land
it's midnight
if you talk in your sleep
i'm leavin'
spanish eyes
help me
softly as i leave you
fever
my baby left me
it's now or never
hawaiian wedding song
trying to get to you
green, green grass of home
you're the reason I'm leaving
big boss man
burning love
my boy
fairytale
help me make it through the night
mystery train/tiger man
how great thou art
america the beautifull

another good point to check is: if they used an audience recording like when the snow is on the roses for an oficial release.....why they didn't add also on disc 4 a live version of TROUBLE from aug. '73....???....there are excellent audince recordings of this songs and with better sound than when the snow is on the roses.

i don't know why.....but they made the same mistakes on the 70's box set.....i really can't understand why they leave out songs like........if you don't comeback, find out what's happening, i miss you, help me make it through the night, fools rush in, spanish eyes, blue eyes cryin in the rain....among others....
hope they chose a correct project for an on tour box set....

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:08 pm

I agree that disk 4 is weak and also think that when the snow is on the roses recording is a stinker
hope we will get "trouble live" someday

your selection is fine and accurate to my opinion

( they will learn and thionk about it for the 2135 special vegas box edition :lol: )

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:47 pm

While we're at it: disc 3 isn't that brilliant either.
The songs on it are great, don't get me wrong. But they were already released on two RCA/BMG releases: Burning Love and On Stage!

Like you guys already said: there must have been more interesting stuff in those vaults.

Sonny

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:17 pm

For me the concept of the box was to showcase the very best of Elvis’ Las Vegas recordings. The 1956 show is one of the best quality live ‘50’s performances we have, and I think it was a necessary inclusion in order to tell the whole story of Elvis in Vegas. The Vegas period is normally associated with the later years of Elvis’ career, and I think some casual buyers would have been surprised to learn that he actually played there during the ‘50’s.

The material used on disc three is also of a consistently high standard, and I think this justifies its inclusion. RCA/BMG could have released another show from later in Elvis’ career, and whilst this would have pleased the fans, it wouldn’t have made the box set stronger performance wise. Let’s not forget that this was a commercially released set. The fans that collect soundboards from the concert years are well served by the FTD label.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:27 pm

They could've used diff'rent versions of those songs on disc 3.
That would've made it a more interesting buy for the real fans. I don't think many non-fans bought this Vegas set. Do you?
I bet the concept of Today Tomorrow and Close Up is more effective for selling Elvis to non-fans.

Sonny

Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:11 pm

Perhaps it was the type of set that had a limited appeal outside of the Elvis fan base, but I still think RCA/BMG did the right thing in making it a strong collection performance wise. As a fan I would love to hear more alternate recordings from February ’70 and ’72, and I’m sure we will get these eventually through FTD. I don’t mind RCA/BMG issuing previously released masters on commercial releases, if it makes for a stronger set, and shows Elvis in a positive way. Having said that, I would guess that all of the February ’70 material is of a high standard, and I’m not suggesting that alternate Feb ‘70 recordings would have weakened the set in anyway. The point I was trying to make in my original post was that I think the Feb ’70 & ’72 recordings were a more worthy inclusion than say a complete soundboard show from 1974.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:38 pm

Personally, I was surprised - and more than a little disappointed - that Down In The Alley and Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues were omitted from disc 4. I also would've preferred Vegas tracks from 71, 73 (Trouble), and 76 (surely they could have come up with a decent version of My Way) over the 56 stuff. 70's Elvis image was practically synonymous with Vegas, and I think they should've given us something from each year of the 69-76 Vegas engagements (or better yet, something from each engagement).

Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:53 pm

From what I’ve heard from the 1976 engagement it doesn’t surprise me that this period was overlooked when the Vegas box was compiled. “Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues” and “Down In The Alley” would have been worthy of a place in the set, but maybe BMG are saving Elvis’ August 19, 1974 opening show for a future FTD release. I know this has been bootlegged, but like the “Memphis Sessions”; there are probably a number of fans that don’t have access to bootleg releases, and would welcome an FTD release of this show.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:32 am

now i do like the las vegas box set
to me its a nice setup for the best of elvis live in vegas

but one thing i dont like is how they did disc one the 69
show remove the monlog out and put it at the end
of the disc i didnt like that at all.

curtis simpkins

Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:04 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Personally, I was surprised - and more than a little disappointed - that Down In The Alley and Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues were omitted from disc 4. I also would've preferred Vegas tracks from 71, 73 (Trouble), and 76 (surely they could have come up with a decent version of My Way) over the 56 stuff. 70's Elvis image was practically synonymous with Vegas, and I think they should've given us something from each year of the 69-76 Vegas engagements (or better yet, something from each engagement).

Ernst said that they not have a good soundboard from Vegas 76 ?

Disc 4 on vegas box set

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:55 pm

I do think that "Why me Lord" and "Softly as I leave you" were poor choices, especially as Elvis laughs during the former, and I would have picked "Spanish eyes" and "Good time Charlie" in their places.
Also, there is a much better version of "If you talk in your sleep" than the one on the box set which is much too sluggish. The best version, I believe, is from the closing show on Sept. 2nd 1974.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:49 pm

rockinrebel wrote:From what I’ve heard from the 1976 engagement it doesn’t surprise me that this period was overlooked when the Vegas box was compiled. “Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues” and “Down In The Alley” would have been worthy of a place in the set, but maybe BMG are saving Elvis’ August 19, 1974 opening show for a future FTD release. I know this has been bootlegged, but like the “Memphis Sessions”; there are probably a number of fans that don’t have access to bootleg releases, and would welcome an FTD release of this show.

Rockinrebel: I have the entire Dec. 76 Vegas stand on audio tape, and there are a few versions of "My Way" that are about as good as any from 76-77. But as someone has already mentioned, they may not have any soundboards from this engagement.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:59 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Rockinrebel: I have the entire Dec. 76 Vegas stand on audio tape, and there are a few versions of "My Way" that are about as good as any from 76-77. But as someone has already mentioned, they may not have any soundboards from this engagement.

Point taken Pete,

My comments were in relation to the 1976 engagement generally, rather than Elvis’ versions of “My Way” specifically.