Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Beatles, Elvis, now The Beach Boys

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:47 pm

I found this on Amazon.com - a new "Greatest Hits" CD (30 songs) from the Beach Boys will be out on June 10. Here's the review and tracklisting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com

The cynical may question just how many Beach Boys greatest hits albums are enough. Non-cynics, however, will appreciate what makes Sounds of Summer unique. This is the first single-disc collection to feature such a large cross selection of hits from the group's entire career, spanning 1962's "Surfin' Safari" through 1988's "Kokomo." All 30 tracks, spanning several label changes, were Billboard Top 40 hits and are probably now as identifiable as the national anthem to anyone with radio or TV access. The fact that the tracks aren’t in chronological order helps make for a fresh listening experience, as does the crisp digital sound. And yet these songs--even those that are more than four decades old--always sound strangely fresh and will likely remain so as long as there are beaches, young people, and that symbolic season of freedom and dreams. Which is to say that the title here passes "the truth in advertising" test. Perfect for those casual fans not yet ready to spring for the individual albums, Sounds of Summer is, in many ways, a better representation of this legendary band's art than Elvis' 30 No. 1 Hits and The Beatles 1 were of the King and the Fab Four. --Bill Holdship

Track Listings
1. California Girls
2. I Get Around
3. Surfin’ Safari
4. Surfin’ U.S.A.
5. Fun, Fun, Fun
6. Surfer Girl
7. Don’t Worry Baby
8. Little Deuce Coupe
9. Shut Down
10. Help Me, Rhonda
11. Be True To Your School
12. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
13. In My Room
14. God Only Knows
15. Sloop John B
16. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
17. Getcha Back
18. Come Go With Me
19. Rock And Roll Music
20. Dance, Dance, Dance
21. Barbara Ann
22. Do You Wanna Dance?
23. Heroes And Villains
24. Good Timin’
25. Kokomo
26. Do It Again
27. Wild Honey
28. Darlin’
29. I Can Hear Music
30. Good Vibrations

Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:38 pm

Last edited by Swedish on Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:38 pm

Sounds of Summer is, in many ways, a better representation of this legendary band's art than Elvis' 30 No. 1 Hits and The Beatles 1 were of the King and the Fab Four. --Bill Holdship

Nice collection of tunes (I'd buy that - it seems to have all the essentials) but I don't agree with the Editorial.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:47 pm

Hi all!

Perfect timing as I'm not only an Elvis fan/collector but also big time
Beach Boys collector--and am still looking for the full-length advance promo cd of "Sounds of Summer" that's currently being sent to radio stations and possibly retailers for in store play. Also, if their is a promotional sampler cd from this new release, I'd also be very interested! (It's not the cd maxi-single released last week for sale at record shops).

Please email me privately at:

Hwbfx@yahoo.com

Thanks once again!
Buffalo Wings!
:)

Regards,

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:56 pm

Sorry, but I disagree. Where is LITLE HONDA and their first hit that broke the Beach Boys SURFIN'. These are outright classics, I don't give a flip if they didn't hit top 40. They are played all the time.

Also Catch a Wave!!! Hello, Jan and Dean actually ripped it off with the song Sidewalk Surfin! I would gladly replace any of the lower tracks for these songs. Get the 20 years greatest hits. They are done better and don't cut great songs(except for Surfin'...nobody gets this right)

With the later Beach Boys...California Dreamin' is missing. They had a moderate hit with that one.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:12 pm

For the general publis the Beach Boys are best known for their surfing songs. Music lovers know the Pet Sounds album, and music fanatics know about the Smile album. The Beach Boys recorded their best material √°fter the Surf and Fun stuff....

So in the late 60s and 70s they recorded their best material. But everywhere the crowd wanted to hear the Golden Oldies (although the Beach Boys were in their twenties and early thirties!?!). All their really good stuff wasn't appreciated.

Now we're in the 2000s and suddenly averyone wants to hear the good songs, instead of the fun songs. The diehard fans are complaining that the beach Boys performed the really good songs only rarely during the 60's/70s. It's a complete turnaround.

Same goes with Elvis, just one, two years after his comeback all the contemporary songs had to make place for the smash hits from the 50s and early 70s. The audience didn't care what were his best or latest songs, but only in what were his biggest hits.....

So, as soon as the audience know that you're boynd your golden period, they are cheering for those golden oldies, and don't mind the new material.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:16 pm

My response was in reference to the early hits. Surfin' is a must!!!

Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:28 am

I agree, somewhat, to your complaints, Genesim. How does anyone put a ONE cd collection of the best of The Beach Boys. It can't be done with an 80 minute limit of space. All the songs on this collection did make the top 40 but The Beach Boys had 35 different top 40 hits, if you want to count the song "Wipeout" with The Fat Boys.
One of my all-time favorite top 40 songs is not included.....Caroline, No. There is also a top 30 song that is missing...."It's OK" made it to #29.
Overall, it is a nice collection for the person who has no other Beach Boys cd. Anyone who really wants the best of The Beach Boys probably has them.

jeff R

Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:10 am

Do we get a stereo version of Good Vibrations yet??? :?:

:D