Would it not make sense for BMG to release this concert
completely on its own - the same way they did with "An
Afternoon In The Garden". This show and the numbers
he performed are tremendous and (I think) deserve a
"solo" release.

I believe mashing this show into an "On Tour" box set
is a mistake. Leave that for the Greensboro and
Richmond shows.

Just curious what people think about that idea???
Last edited by elvis-fan on Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:14 pm

I was going to say sure, but wait a while after Close Up has been around for a while (because of its featuring the San Antonio show), but then I think of the oversaturation we got a few years ago of TTWII material...so bring it on!

Although on the other hand, having a complete On Tour set would be nice. But given the likelihood of that, I'll take it as a single concert release. Fine idea.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:24 pm

Personally, I think the show would be better suited to the “On Tour” set. It is indeed a good show, but it wasn’t an event like Elvis playing live in New York City for the first time in his career was. We also have to consider that the song selections recorded for “Elvis On Tour” aren’t as varied as those recorded for “TTWII”, so it is important that some of the stronger material is withheld for a possible “On Tour” SE set, as this is likely to be a full commercial release.

Re: BMG Release of Hampton Roads, VA April 9, 1972 ES

Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:05 am

elvis-fan wrote:Would it not make sense for BMG to release this concert
completely on its own - the same way they did with "An
Afternoon In The Garden". This show and the numbers
he performed are tremendous and (I think) deserve a
"solo" release.

I believe mashing this show into an "On Tour" box set
is a mistake. Leave that for the Greensboro and
Richmond shows.

Just curious what people think about that idea???

I just couldn't agree more with you.

Hampton Roads is one of his best 72 shows.Moreover, It has,unlike MSG, a great sound and could easily please the general public.

The san antonio show deserve rather a FTD release.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:25 pm

I’m not saying that the Hampton show isn’t good enough for a commercial release in it’s own right, just that it should be used as one of the main selling points for any proposed “On Tour SE” if RCA BMG were to release one. If the “On Tour SE” was a three disc set in the style of “TTWII”, you would expect it to include one complete concert, rehearsal highlights, and a disc of either live highlights and/or the March 1972 masters (if these can be considered relevant to the “On Tour” project).

The San Antonio show is due for release on the “Close Up” set, and if the Hampton show was also released as a single disc live album RCA/BMG would be left with two shows: Richmond (April 10) and Greensboro (April 14). If one of these shows was to be used in it’s entirety for the “On Tour” set. RCA/BMG would only be left with one (very similar) show to take any further live highlights from, and as the April 1972 shows were by no means as varied in terms of song selection as the August 1970 shows, this would present a problem.