Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"2nd to None" 2 close to #1's?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:22 am

well...seems like RCA is back 2 it's old tricks! they got lucky with the run away success of E1 and BOOM, there back w/ another "HITS" cd within a years time to hurry up and cash in. is it me or shouldn't they have waited and maybe let E1 run it's course, like maybe for a second christmas season and maybe sales could have reached 4/5 million? now, i don't wanna sound like i'm complaining cuz i usually snatch up every new release anyway, but unless RCA promotes and markets the sh*t outta "Second to None", i don't think it'll replicate the same success and stature of E1. just my opinion...rock on EP!!!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:14 pm

Not only should they market it like they did E1, but the sound better be like E1, not like what they did with the 4 cd's they released in January.

Now that was trying to "cash in".

RKS

The Milking Continues

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:09 pm

Minkahed, you're right, of course, but who's gonna stop BMG? Might as well sit back and (try to) enjoy and hope for the best outcome, such as increased exposure for new fans due to the "remix," and somehow better sound, etc. But personally, I think the well is going to run dry, especially among elements of the media which sooner or later are going to say "enough": it's just another hits collection and we're not going to review it or do a feature. The remix becomes a bit of a gambit / gimmick to get attention again for basically the same old songs on these collections.

What a far cry from the mostly-restrained managing of the Beatles and Rolling Stones' catalogs. Sigh.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:21 pm

I don’t have a problem with RCA releasing “Second To None” at all. This will be promoted as the follow up to “ELV1S”, and this is more likely to give the “ELV1S” album a further sales push this Christmas as casual buyers that missed this release first time around may be tempted to buy both albums following the publicity generated by “Second To None”.

Of course there have been far too many Elvis compilations released in the past, but BMG managed to capture the imagination of the general public with “ELV1S”, and “ALLC” certainly renewed interest in Elvis’ music, and gave BMG a new younger audience to target future releases at. BMG can’t really be blamed for following this up. That’s the way the industry works.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:25 pm

Second to none should be released as soon as possible. It will not hurt E1 at all, it will only help!! People love sequals. This has the makings of being a very good one. I hear the Beatles are going to do a follow up as well. Bring it on baby!!!! Let them both sell by the truckloads and further prove how new music is lacking. It would be great to see Elvis and the Beatles battling it out for the top spot. Though scary, it would be cool to see!!

2ND TO NO ONE

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:53 pm

And if 2nd TO NO ONE hits, they may easily make a special de-luxe package with both albums next year..yeah!

Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:39 am

Just to follow up;

If 2nd to None does not have the same sound as E1 and listeners play the two back to back, and can tell a difference, they may feel "ripped off".

This could hurt more than it helps.

RKS

Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:55 am

look at it this way, it can't hurt his career. :lol:

Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:27 am

But is the average Wal-Mart crowd gonna know that 2nd To None is meant to be the "sequel" to 30#1 ?

I like the idea of a Global Hit 2-Cd set. Elvis had a variety of hits in other countries besides US and UK. Those tunes should be accounted for. Because the info is virtually lost. I know of the 1960/61/62/63 South Africa Annual Top 30 and a few Elvis songs made it that were not on 30#1.

Has Beatles done a cd like this yet? To account for Norwegian Wood hitting #1 in India?

Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:34 am

They just have to promote it properly and it will do fine. If they make it obvious it is the follow up th 30 No1s it will help those sales as well.
I can't wait. :D

:twisted:

Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:20 am

GG,

I don't think it will be hard for people to figure out. First of all they should use similar packaging and make it Silver or some other shiny color that would compliment the old one. Then promote the hell out of it again!!

I don't agree that another greatest hit package should be put out with yet the same hits again. They should build on the success they have achieved. In only makes sense.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:55 am

i understand what u mean gene! lol
anyway, for us, who r very aware of the whole Elvis and E1 thing, it wouldn't be hard 2 figure out, but for the "casual" fan or even a "new" fan, it's gotta be a tuff one. how many times i've been at a cd store and people checking out Elvis cd's wondering which one 2 get, finally getting so annoyed that they put 'em back and go their merry way! should i buy:
1) Heart and Soul? or 2) Love Songs?... should i get 3) 50 Greatest Love Songs? or 4) The Very Best of Love? u don't think people get confused over this non sense over load? i have seen it happen all the time and like i said before, RCA better promote it well if they want repeat E1 buyers to buy it's sequel!

Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:15 am

Minkahead,

You are not giving people enoug credit! They were SMART enough to buy the E1 that just came out. Do you think that they won't be able to figure out what the new cd is, especially if it promoted over and over again...that it is the COMPANION to the first cd? Judging from the sales figures(like to 15 million world wide) it seems that most of the other releases have been ignored in the past!!!!

Again, if it is promoted right, people will get the message loud and clear. I consider mysef average. Most people are probably like me. I am well aware that certain artists have tons of albums. If I don't know them, then I am going to start with a greatest hits. If one is plugged on TV all the time and selling like hot cakes, I will definetly buy it. Now lets say I really like it, but I am still not sure...then I wait...till a sequal!!!! That is the trend with most anything. Just like sound tracks. Titanic sound track wasn't enough...how about More Music from Titanic. You get my point.

By the way, if someone is coming in to buy music...they are not going to go...oh forget it. Especially if it is like Walmart where there will be a 101 copies saying which one is new!!!! Get real, people WILL KNOW. If someone bought one, then they will likely buy the new one(in my opinion, they will also be more impressed. Elvis greatest hits to me is not just his #1 songs). If someone doesn't know then BAM they will buy the first(because it has 30 songs of most everything they know) and then probably come back for seconds. See it is that easy.

Haven't you ever been to a video store after a sequal is released. The first thing that happens is that people are rushing to buy the first movie, and you can't rent it. Lets say they are inferior names..etc, those get rented too. Elvis sales will be boosted all around. This is a good thing...not bad!!

Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:58 am

I will buy becasue of the remastered sound as on Elv1s

Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:20 am

i really don't think my post was that hard 2 figure out and u pretty much repeated exactly what i said!? anyway, your speaking of your own disposition of purchasing your music and i was generalizing of what i've experienced w/ others when it comes to buying Elvis cd's...all i'm saying is if RCA really pushes this E2? cd, then it might sell good, but i still don't think it'll be as successful as E1!

you say most people are like u, (average) when they purchase their music. if u see a commercial on tv and if it's selling like "hotcakes", u would buy it. sorry jack, i don't buy my music cuz it's flavor of the month! how many times have i seen the "FORTY LICKS" cd promoted on tv, 8000 times? did i buy it? hell no...if it's as easy as u say, then how come the "ARTIST of the CENTURY" box didn't sell 2 million? that set had 75 songs dude, major hits and then some and it was reasonably priced! the original #1 hits cd of 1987 only sold roughly 125,000 units in it's first 6 months and it took 5 years to reach GOLD...that's realism!

again, this is only my opinion and i'm not trying to sound pessimistic in any way about people buying Elvis music. i hope i'm wrong and it outsells the first cd, but i still think the general public already has there perception of who Elvis was...E1 has the best of the best of his commercial heyday and it'll take a lot of convincingand promoting among the general public to buy it's "sequel".