Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

all this remix talk...

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:38 am

Hey, if another one can do well, that's great. I did not oppose the ALLC remix because of its ability to reach a new younger audience, which is important. It obviously did achieve that.

But I am not so sure they need to try to repeat the success of ALLC with a similar venture. I prefer the idea of a re-release (or re-issue, whatever) of an unadulterated Elvis song. And one place where I believe Elvis has better odds of succeeding is in a field in which he has proven himself a worthy contender in the past, even during stages of his career when his popularity wasn't what it had been: country music!

So many country music fans (as well as country artists) are Elvis fans, and understandably so. I think if they picked a good song and perhaps gave it the E1 mastering treatment as well as proper promotion, that it would have a really good chance of doing quite well on the country charts.

I like the idea of picking a song which most people would not have previously heard or associated with Elvis, so that hearing it and being impressed by it would be even more of a revelation to them. "Say, this is a great new song--who the heck is it? Elvis? Really?"

Now I don't know if anybody will agree with anything I have said so far, but if you like the idea but not the song I have in mind, please suggest another, because I know some people think this is too simple or whatever. OK, I am really knocked out by the 6363 Sunset version of Bringin' It Back. It is a better performance by Elvis than the original, has a much cleaner, clearer, and less dated sound without the overdubs, and is just a great song in my opinion. It's not pure country, but it's a lot more country than a lot of songs on the country charts now, as well as other Elvis songs which made the country charts.

I am probably just wasting brain cells to think that the powers that be would select a song recorded by Elvis in 1975 to re-release, and a non-rocker at that. But I would personally love to see it and sincerely believe that going the country route could really be the right recipe for more large-scale success for Elvis in today's world.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:19 am

BobbyTCB -

You wrote :

that it would have a really good chance of doing quite well on the country charts.

But outside of the US, there isn't a 'country chart' - just 'pop' charts !

I really doubt that an original unadulterated Elvis track could crack the singles charts today.

Anyway, ALLC really grooved !

Long live the remixes !

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:18 pm

I'm with you Colin. Country music does not have enough 'clout' around the world. Even SKY TV refuses to have a Country Music Channel. However, this is a great pity as I love some of Elvis' country tracks.

Brian

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:03 pm

Bobby, you make a good point. But I guess Elvis Inc. ("EPE") thinks like a truly global corporation these days and will (along with RCA/BMG) avoid emphasizing just the country side of Elvis' career, as well as his '70s image.

If they wanted to, Elvis could still crack the U.S. country charts, given a huge push. But it's not what they want.

Personally, I don't think Elvis needs to be "remixed," period, but I enjoy the attention to our man, if it's flattering.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:28 pm

I did not realize there weren't country charts outside the U.S.!

What I like about releasing a country song is that it would be much easier to pick an Elvis country song than an Elvis rock song which would translate well to today's respective audiences. I believe this because while there are some current trends happening (the biggest one being that many of the new people in country aren't very country), basically country music is country music. It is more timeless than pop. Country hits from many years ago can be played today without sounding radically different than the current stuff--at least when compared to the more traditional country artists, who still enjoy great success.

I also like that such a move would impress upon people that Elvis was an artist who did and still can dominate the various charts, helping to solidify his all-around superiority in people's minds. I believe some people who are mainly familiar with his hits would be taken with this "new" other side of Elvis, and his artistry in general.

But given the global considerations (thanks for pointing that out, guys) and the fact that EPE/BMG would not stray from their wanting to just keep Young Rocker Elvis in people's minds, mine is a moot point. Guess I should keep my fantasies to myself.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:52 pm

Here in the UK a release of say, “Bringing It Back” would be viewed by the pop radio stations as a re-issue, and would be unlikely to make many of the radio play-lists. I think BMG have realised that by involving the likes of JXL and Paul Oakenfold they are much more likely to get the songs on the pop radio station’s play-lists, and the involvement of these DJ/producers also generates interest from the younger demographic. I would agree that there are a number of songs in the Presley catalogue that are not known to the general public, and do have hit potential, but if the radio stations won’t play them, the public won’t hear them, and they are not likely to make the charts.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:04 pm

Point taken, RR!