Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

12 degrees of seperation

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:51 am

This is how this one works- for those of us who never met Elvis (sorry, Dr. John, you can't be involved with this one) what is the closest you came. Here is an example- my Dad went to high school with Mike Diskin who was Tom Diskin's nephew who was Col. Parker's right hand man who was Elvis' manager. Something like that. Meeting the bodyguards or TCB band, or back-up singers doesn't count. That is too close an association. BTW, my Dad really did go to high school with Mike Diskin. He is now a doctor.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:03 am

OK, this hasn't been confirmed yet, but...

My dad is very interested in tracing our family roots. It is something he has worked on for years, and with the advent of the internet, a lot of doors opened and he was able to go a lot further with it. To make a long story short, I may be very distantly related to Don Massey, who used to sell Elvis Cadillacs. If I am not mistaken, there is still a Massey Cadillac dealership in Memphis.

Also, I have an uncle who lived in Memphis for a year or so in the mid-seventies and actually delivered a TV to Graceland! He is not an Elvis fan and he's not a kook either, so I am sure it is true. And he said Elvis was there at the time and very cordial with him and the other delivery guys. When he told me that, I had to wonder if he was replacing a shot-out set!

Oh yeah, one more thing--and I know you weren't asking for meetings with Memphis Mafia or TCB band members, but I still want to share this, because it was just an unexpected sighting. I was on I-64 here in my town 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I came upon a baby blue Lincoln Town Car with a license plate that read ELVISED. When I got up beside the driver, I realized I was looking at Ed Hill of the Stamps! I know this wasn't even a meeting so it's really no big deal, but it was just kind of a cool thing to me.

John, I realize none of these were quite what you were looking for and don't compare to your situation, so I hope you don't mind my digressing a little.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:22 am

John -

My great-aunt Sarah once heard an Elvis record on the radio.

Does this count ?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:30 pm

I am Elvis' illegitimate
great great grandmother's, half son's, brother's sister's,
younger nephew's, 2nd cousin's, great uncle's,
father's brother's cousin - twice removed - sister's son.
WHEW!

And the closest I came to meeting Elvis was standing outside his Graceland gates in August 1976...
unfortunately he was on the road touring at the time.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:49 pm

Colin and Brad, I hear ya!

Jealous, obviously! :lol:

Hey, with Elvis no longer around, I tend to appreciate little things like these! There's room for weirdos like me around here, isn't there?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:55 pm

"Before tonight is over, you will all realize that I am totally insane...
and have been... for a number of years... you just haven't caught me right yet."

or something like that!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:57 pm

Ok here goes:
I have an uncle (he married my father's sister) who's last name is Fortenberry and who's originally from Mississippi. When I was in my early teens he told me he was related to Elvis (a cousin I believe). I wasn't sceptical, my uncle wasn't bragging and isn't that type of person. Anyway, years later, in one of the books I ran across the name Lillian Fortenberry as a relative of Elvis! This confirmed my uncle's claim. Now if he and Elvis were in fact cousins then I figure that would sort of make Elvis my (distant) uncle! Which would in turn make Lisa Marie my distant cousin. So Jeff D. and Genesim I would appreciate it if you guys would stop talkin' all that sexual trash about my kin! ..... Hey wait a minute, if LM is my cousin then that means I have a relative who had close encounters of the carnal kind with ... that .... FREAK! UUUGGHHH!
Folks, disregard this post. FECC please delete immediately and I will be forever grateful! LOL

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:08 pm

LOL, Pete!

And very impressive association!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:33 pm

Sorry Elvis

P.S. Where is Jeff D? My Kiss partner has left the board?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:53 pm

I have two Elvis connections:

1) My cousin, who grew up in Memphis, attended high school with Priscilla and became friends with her. She was invited to a few gatherings at Graceland. This was in '63 - '64. She described Elvis as very courteous and really took time to talk with her...a super nice guy!!! :D

2) Another friend of mine actually was friends with Elvis in Tupelo. He was a couple of years older than Elvis but they hung out together as kids. :D :D

Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:04 pm

The more I ponder this the worse it gets! If I'm distantly related to Elvis, then I suppose it also means that, in some convoluted way ..... I'M RELATED TO THE F*#&IN' STANLEY'S!!!!!

Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:50 am

O.K. here goes;

My step-dad was in basic training at Fort Hood with Elvis. They went over to Germany on the ship together. They we're in the same division in Germany. Elvis got out in 2 years, my step-dad got out in 4 years.

As a side note; My step-dad's middle name is Elvis. They we're born the same year.

RKS

Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:22 am

Bobby,

Those were interesting stories, whether they fit the thread profile or not! Makes you wonder--Who else but an Elvis fan could look into another moving automobile and know they were looking at one of his backing vocalists?

Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:26 am

RKS,

I assume your step-Dad met Elvis, given their close proximity? That, and his middle name being Elvis would give him a pretty good lead. That is a pretty unique tie-in.

Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:22 am

Peter Dube, I'd be more worried about the possible relation with Gene Smith :oops: than the Stanleys, but I still cracked up at your post.