Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

if only elvis could have went on the sullivan show again.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:49 am

i was watching the elvis 56/57 apperances on ed sullivan the other night. a thought came into my mind, how cool would it have been if elvis went on the sullivan show again in the 60's. imagine he could have done his new hit single little sister, joked around with ed about his sideburns being gone and then sang a medley of his 50's hits. or even better have elvis come on in 69 or 70 and sing suspicious minds and in the ghetto. and the kicker would be this would all be in living color. if only this could have been.... :cry:

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:51 am

I just wish he had done another 50's appearance and done ALL SHOOK UP. I also wish there were sixties performaces of LITTLE SISTER, NOW OR NEVER and IT HURTS ME. They probably would have sold better with a few television appearances.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:32 am

and maybe

return to sender
bossa nova baby
love letters
cant help falling in love
are you lonsome tonight?
ask me
big boss man

curtis simpkins

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:03 pm

Elvis never could have appeared on the Sullivan show during the '60's or '70's. Why? Money, for one. Does anyone really think Sullivan would have paid Parker some freakish sum like $500,000 for one song? (Which is probably what Parker would have asked for.)

The other reason: Been there, done that. A return to the Sullivan show would have been seen by the critics as a retreating move and Elvis trying to relive former glories.

Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:03 pm

EagleUSA, you're pretty much on the right track.

Years ago, I recall reading a book about Ed Sullivan; I think it was titled "On Every Sunday" (I'm not sure if the title is correct; the book came out at around 1968).
I remember seeing it in the library back during the mid-1980s.

In 1967-68, Ed Sullivan called Tom Parker asking to book Elvis in '68 (for Ed Sullivan's 20th anniversary - the Sullivan show went on the air in 1948). Parker made many demands. Sullivan turned down Parker's demands, and then ended the call by telling Parker to tell Elvis that he wished him well.

Tom (from Ohio)

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:32 am

I think it would have been a nice gesture of Elvis to perform on the 20 Anniversary show of Sullivan (and it could be a nice way to plug the 'new' Elvis)...

Besides that, I've always found it cool that Elvis never been on talkshows, music programs, etc. like every single other performer and band have been. Imagine seeing Elvis on Top Of The Pops (UK), or Saterday Night bandstand, or any other music show. It would have made Elvis 'one of the other guys'. Now he's something like The Untouchable.

Today you have Madonna, Shania Twain, Robbie Williams, etc. being a gueststar on any small local or national channel, just to plug their latest single or album. It seems a bit 'cheap' to me to see these huge artists almost begging for publicity.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:11 pm

Albert -

You are right that Elvis' lack of TV appearances added to his mystique, but the occasional TV performance to 'plug' a current single wouldn't have gone amiss.

In the later part of his career [after 1970] this could have given his singles a real boost in the charts.